The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 6, 2000, 12:31 PM   #1
Nakano

Happy New Year all! I am doing a search for the *THINNEST* pair of quality grip panels for a 1911/ Commander. They are needed for individuals with rather small hands/ small digits. Who makes them? Stock or custom? Thanks.

Old January 6, 2000, 01:05 PM   #2
Rosco Benson

AFS Slim-Tech stocks are available from Brownells (www.brownells.com). These stocks use proprietary grip screws and bushings. Chip McCormick Corp. also makes thin stocks with their own screws and bushings.

Rosco
Old January 7, 2000, 06:58 AM   #3
Joe D

I saw some on a full size 1911 STI Trojan the other day. Would probably work great for CCW but were totally out of place on that gun.
Old January 7, 2000, 08:47 AM   #4
Rosco Benson

Les Baer is using the AFS Slim-Tech's on his Thunder Ranch Special 1911 too. "Feel" is, of course, a very subjective matter. Although I have big hands and long fingers, I like the feel of the AFS stocks on full-size 1911's. An autopistol's butt is primarily gripped fore and aft. The stocks are just along for the ride. Thicker stocks make the butt's cross-section more round and give a less reliable tactile index of deflection. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary...but I like them. The sole downside of the AFS stocks is that they do not help support the plunger tube.

Rosco
Old January 7, 2000, 08:42 PM   #5
Nakano

Thanks all. Roscoe, have you or anyone else you know have had a problem with the plunger tube being unsupported with the AFS'?

L8r,
Nakano

PS- can' t seem to find the AFS Slim grips for the 1911 on Brownells site. Terrible set up to navigate BTW.

[This message has been edited by Nakano (edited January 07, 2000).]
Old January 8, 2000, 07:58 PM   #6
Daniel Watters

For Brownells, the stock numbers for a full-size 1911 are:

AFS Tech Slim-Tech (#064-100-002)

Chip McCormick Slim Carry (#207-559-003)
Old January 8, 2000, 08:23 PM   #7
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Hogue has some nice wrap-around (1-piece sides & front only) finger groove grip for the the BHP (no idea for 1911s). Very nice grip obtained & much thinner than the Pachs.
Old January 8, 2000, 10:40 PM   #8
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
...... Brownells terrible to navigate? Took me 20 seconds to find the Slim Tech page. I think Brownell's has got the best catalog on the net (and the best one on paper too!), pretty good when you think of the tens of thousands of parts and items they sell, they could loose some of those frames... ugh!

BTW I've got a pair of Slim Techs on a Colt Combat Commander and love'em. With my hands they're prefect with an arched mainspring housing. -- Kernel

http://www.brownells.com/Product/pro...1&CategoryID=0

[This message has been edited by Kernel (edited January 08, 2000).]
Old January 8, 2000, 11:26 PM   #9
Nakano

Thanks again guys. I just went back to their ole paper catalog. Works for me.

L8r,
Nakano
Old January 9, 2000, 04:27 PM   #10
nobody

try http://www.m1911.com
Old January 9, 2000, 05:44 PM   #11
Rosco Benson

Nakano,
1911 plunger tubes come loose every now and then. Most stocks are cut to support and help hold the plunger tube in place. The AFS stocks are too thin to do this. It's really no problem. One ought to keep an eye on their plunger tube's tightness anyway and have it replaced or restaked if it loosens.

The lack of plunger tube support is certainly much more excusable on the AFS stocks than it is on certain full-thickness stocks which do not support the plunger tube.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited January 09, 2000).]
Old January 10, 2000, 09:57 AM   #12
Nakano

Thanks again guys. Would you recommend the Mc Cormicks over the AFS' then? Do theirs support the plunger tube? I' d rather go with ones that have a minimal potential problem.

Nakano
Old January 10, 2000, 11:26 AM   #13
Rosco Benson

I doubt that the thin McCormick stocks support the plunger tube either. Basically, if the stock is enough thinner than GI to matter, it's probably too thin to come up and over the plunger tube.

Top-notch pistolsmith Richard Heinie stated that he thought the McCormick stocks were prettier than the AFS stocks.

Rosco
Old January 10, 2000, 03:06 PM   #14
Daniel Watters

Rosco: I just received a set of the CMC Slim Carry stocks. Mr. Heine is correct; they are definitely pretty. I suspect that they are not really Rosewood, but the color and grain are lovely. The checkering is pointed but not sharp. Only a couple places have flattened diamonds; however, there are no overruns like the wood seen on the current Colt XS series. The Southpaw shooters will be pleased that the CMC stocks are also notched for a Swenson-style ambi safety. For those who like their cosmetics, the shortened stock screws provided have Torex heads instead of a straight slot.
Old January 10, 2000, 05:04 PM   #15
EQUALIZER

EVERYONE,

1. What do you guys think about thinning out a nice set of standard thickness grips to make them thinner.

I was planning to take a set of Tulip wood, (exotic, rather than yellow poplar I think), Kim Ahrends tactical (meaning the checkering covers only half the grip diagonally) grips that have cut outs for the tube and ambi-Dx safety. I want to thin them carefully on a sanding block. The right side should be able to thin more than the left since there is no ambi-dex safety. I'm thinking about using a rotory tool to cut the tube support deeper to allow support with a thinner grip.

BTW Kim recommends against this because he's understandable afraid that it would thin into the deep checkering. He won't do it, but I plan to take a gamble and do it my self. I'll have to be careful not to thin the left side much, but I think it will index better and make a difference.

Q: I'm doing this at the risk of messing up a brand new beautiful pink-yellowish white grain nice set of grips, but its my own $, not at risk to anyone else. Does anyone have any advice (procedure-wise, or other-wise). Has anyone tried this before on stock grips w/tube support?

2. I have some awesome curly maple, white oak, and black walnut that I'd like to make into grips. Kind of like women have a pair of shoes for all occasions.... The extent of my fasion-I'd like to have a set of grips for all occasions. Does anyone know where I can find plans on cutting out grips.? I've got access to a shop smith and drill press, files too. Just looking for best/easiest way to get into the project. Any suggestions??????

Robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Old January 10, 2000, 05:07 PM   #16
EQUALIZER

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EQUALIZER:
EVERYONE,

1. What do you guys think about thinning out a nice set of standard thickness grips to make them thinner.

I was planning to take a set of Tulip wood, (exotic, rather than yellow poplar I think), Kim Ahrends tactical (meaning the checkering covers only half the grip diagonally) grips that have cut outs for the tube and ambi-Dx safety. I want to thin them carefully on a sanding block. The right side should be able to thin more than the left since there is no ambi-dex safety. I'm thinking about using a rotory tool to cut the tube support deeper to allow support with a thinner grip.

BTW Kim recommends against this because he's understandable afraid that it would thin into the deep checkering. He won't do it, but I plan to take a gamble and do it my self. I'll have to be careful not to thin the left side much, but I think it will index better and make a difference.

Q: I'm doing this at the risk of messing up a brand new beautiful pink-yellowish white grain nice set of grips, but its my own $, not at risk to anyone else. Does anyone have any advice (procedure-wise, or other-wise). Has anyone tried this before on stock grips w/tube support?

2. I have some awesome curly maple, white oak, and black walnut that I'd like to make into grips. Kind of like women have a pair of shoes for all occasions.... The extent of my fasion-I'd like to have a set of grips for all occasions. I like the production ones, but I'd find it more rewarding to make my own. Does anyone know where I can find plans on cutting out grips.? I've got access to a shop smith and drill press, files too. Just looking for best/easiest way to get into the project. Any suggestions??????

Robert
[/quote]

Old January 10, 2000, 05:14 PM   #17
EQUALIZER

PS: So THAT'S what that arrow quote thing does....
I was wondering.

Nakano,

I don't intend to be rude by asking these questions on your thread. They related to what you had asked and I thought that they might help us both. Hope that you get a nice pair. I agree that thinner feels better and like Rosco B. says the thinner cross section indexes more consistantly.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)