The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 23, 2011, 11:52 AM   #26
kwhi43

I think I will just cut my cylinder in half and add some more threads on my
barrel and screw it in to the cylinder. This way I won't have to add anything
on top of the powder. I'm serious.
Old June 23, 2011, 06:17 PM   #27
Scooch

Why?

Perhaps I'm missing something... why all the fuss about filler between powder and ball? Why not just use a lubed wad? I'm not one these folks here that have been shooting with BP for 30+ years but in the few years I have been enjoying this; powder, a lubed wad and a ball have worked perfectly.

This reminds me of those guys in The Corps that were always looking for a way to shine their boots/shoes with something other than good ol' polish.
Old June 23, 2011, 06:33 PM   #28
Hawg

I don't see a good reason to use a filler. I'm not going to shoot a load so wimpy the ram cant seat the ball on the powder. For the shooting I do I can't see any difference in accuracy with the ball right at the chamber mouth or a little way down inside it. Course with my loads it's pretty close anyway.
Old July 6, 2011, 10:38 PM   #29
Shotput79

Thinks fellows

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys. I see all that you fellows have posted on this thread. and you all have some great ideas. One thing I want to make clear that I should have done in the first place. I'm not going to wast food shooting it out the barrel of a gun. For one thing most of the time I've never used anything but the amount of powder a fiber lubed wad and a rd ball to shoot out of my revolvers. I get good groups. Later on I wanted to bring the ball up as close to the barrel as I could get it cause I don't always use full loads when loading target loads. I was trying find out what some of you folks were using to fill the gap. I rather find something other than food. I see some good ideas that will help me out. Believe I'll give the felt wads a try first. Thinks for all the help. ShotPut
Old July 7, 2011, 09:49 AM   #30
enyaw

Shotput,wool wads work well put right on the powder. Saturate them with a lube/wax combo that's not runny and won't squish into the powder when seating the ball.
A good way to avoid any consternation about how deep a ball is seated in the chamber with target loads(the most accurate isn't always the most powerful.....I know you know that) is to have a machinist/gunsmith ream yer chambers to be the diameter of the grooves in the barrel while also ridding the chambers of irregularities and taper.
You'll get better accuracy that way and be able to use any acceptable powder load without concern.
I have a milling machine and chucking reamers(four flute/straight flute) and a centering tool I had Starret makes for me. Works well enough. Straightens the taper that can be in the chambers and the irregularities.
Irregularities like you wouldn't imagine in those chambers of the Italian guns. It shows at times when a good chucking reamer is run into a chamber at a certain minimum diameter as ......a shiny chamber with black(the bluing) still showing in places on the side walls of the chamber. The black left is where the chamber walls were irregular and had wide spots like the chamber wasn't round to begin with.
Accompaning a chamber sizing/reaming is a fresh up of the forcing cone of the breech end of the barrel. A forcing cone of 11 degrees works well to fresh it up and makes it concentric with the bore for better accuracy(when using a piloted reamer that has a pilot that actually fits snug in the bore).
Accompaning that would be a check/repair(if needed) of the alignment of the chambers to the bore for better accuracy.
Do those things and worry over the seating depth of the ball with certain powder charges/fillers ect.ect. are over.
I target shoot cap&ballers too. I get good accuracy. I don't do minute of angle or the like. I do minute of rock,stump,ground hog,fence post ect.ect.ect.
Old July 7, 2011, 03:35 PM   #31
Shotput79

Good Shooters

People at the shooting range make fun of a fellow with a black powder revolver tell you out shoot them with one. That's not the reason I go to the range in the first place. Most of the time it's so I don't have to shoot by myself all the time, and to fellowship with other shooters. You can always share and learn from others. You can learn what not to do from them also. Samething can happen here also.
Old July 7, 2011, 03:45 PM   #32
kwhi43

Having my cylinder cut in half as we speak. Will post pictures later.
Old July 9, 2011, 09:57 AM   #33
Shotput79

kwhi43.

Are you doing this as a test of some kind. I don't understand cutting the cylinder in half. I can't see in my mind how this is going to look. I did see one of the revolvers that was turned into a .22 cal and the cylinder was half as long as the .44 cal. Just being nosey Kwhi
Old July 9, 2011, 10:04 AM   #34
Hawg

Quote:
I don't do minute of angle or the like. I do minute of rock,stump,ground hog,fence post ect.ect.ect
You shoot like I do. Paper punching bores me to tears.
Old July 9, 2011, 10:42 AM   #35
ofitg

Quote - Having my cylinder cut in half as we speak. Will post pictures later

This should be interesting.
Old July 9, 2011, 11:26 AM   #36
ZVP

Black Powder and abuse?

On the topic of the "ribbing" we BP shooters take at the range, I have gotten all from dirty looks to many good natured puns about all the smoke and odor!
I actually try and grab a spot where the smoke drifts harmlessly away from the firing line, but if the comments get unruley or mean, then I try and get right nextdoor to the complainer!
Yea I know BP stinks a little like sulpher and all and the fillers add their own aroma to it. I normally use Cream of Wheat when the gun needs a filler. It burns completelly and has a light smell as it burns.
It's funny but my Remington replicas don't cotton to the use of fillers! When I load em light, I just set the ball deep back in the chambers. Seems to shoot the most accuratelly seated deep. Colt copies seem to prefer having the ball close to the front of the cylinder.
With .36's you don't have to worry about fillers much because the powder and a Pistol wad takes up almost all the chamber and when you ram the ball you get just a little (maybe 1/16") freebore at te front of the chambers.
It seems when you shoot a Cap and Ball revolver, there are many onlookers and when I catch someone watching me load up, I try and invite them to watch and try and explain what I'm doing and to shoot my best to make them see how accurate these guns group! I have sent more than a few away saying "did you see that gun Group?"
I never challenge other shooters to match my BP groups because I want to promote BP shooting rather than alienate folks to it!
Ha-ha, my buddies at the Club do a real job ribbing me about "It smalls like Bacon" or "what's on fire" I guess the "Public" who pay to shoot , think we are enemies the way they rib me but then we all laugh it off. It's fun being the main Cap abd Ball shooter on the line, you meet a lot of nice folks and I always try to invite people back along with their guns to shoot BP with me! It's good PR for the hobby to treat folks nice besides you see just how many people own these things but don't shoot em. Clean-up seems to be the biggest objection. I explain whatever tricks I know (like using an old Hairdrier to dry parts) and people really warm-up to the help!
Well I need to get the BP Box all supplied for tomorrows shoot. It's funny how many Balls and Caps you go through! Seems like I'm always buying a tin of Caps!
ZVP