The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Hunter_17

Bullet seating not straight

It's not straight when I am seating my lead round nose 9mm, what is happening?

I was reloading hollow point just before lead round nose.

I used the flat and cone insert in the seating die.

Any tips
Old January 29, 2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Romeo 33 Delta

I've run into this issue when seating bullets that are short relative to their overall length. My solution was to get a LYMAN "M" DIE for that caliber and ... VERY SLOWLY and CAREFULLY ... start adjusting it in deeper and deeper.

You want to get it set just to the point where the bullet can be set into the mouth of the case and stay there ... vertically, without any tilt ... just barely into the mouth.

This will present to bullet into the seating die in line with the case and you will have no off center bullets thereafter.

My pain-in-the-butt round was a 7.65 X 25 auto pistol. Post "M" die ... never a hint of a problem. The "M" die will create a little "shelf ... where the mouth is a hair larger diameter than the bullet but the rest of the neck is a hair less than the bullet. Works like a charm.