The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2012, 10:51 AM   #1
SWIll

Reloadable brass

Good morning,
I am currently NOT reloading, however I am shooting more and more .38 spl. At some point in the future, I may start reloading if the cost factor makes sense. I know that the big name makers have reloadable brass (Winchester, Federal, Remington, Cor-bon), but what lesser-known brands have reloadable brass? I want to make sure I am buying ammo with good brass in case I start reloading. Aguila, S & B, Magtech, etcetera?
Thank you, I'll check for responses after we get back from church, and I apologize if this question has been asked many times before. I cannot seem to get the "search" function to spit out decent information.
Old February 26, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Jimro

I don't know of any manufacturer that isn't using reloadable 38 special brass.

There might be some aluminum brass out there that you can't reload, but if it is brass it should be good to go.

Jimro
Old February 26, 2012, 11:21 AM   #3
huntinaz

Yup, brass is generally good to go. I found a batch of Aguila 357Mag brass awhile back... works great. I also like S&B for 38 spl.
Old February 26, 2012, 03:10 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

The only non reloadable cases that I have seen have been CCI Blazer aluminum cased. They are easy to spot. All of the others have been reloadable. I picked up a 3 Lb. coffee can full of them at the range yesterday.
Old February 26, 2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Hammerhead

The only brand of brass that my freinds and I have had trouble with is S&B. Usable, just poor QC.

Mag Tech has surprisingly good quality brass.
Old February 26, 2012, 04:25 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

All my brass comes pre-loaded

In 36 years of loading I have never bought brand-new, unfired cases. I buy commercial ammo when I need to increase my stock of reloadable brass.

I know I am taking pot luck on quality, but the variation inside one lot of brass from the same manufacturer is WAY below my ability to detect in point of impact.

Now, if I was shooting 1,000 yard benchrest competition and wanted to get that last quarter-inch out of my group size, I would invest in not only buying brass from the best manufacturer I could find, but I would do all the other things (flash-hole uniforming, weighing cases, measuring web thickness and smudging with incense, etc.)

I figured it out once. Brass that comes pre-loaded is slightly more expensive than new empty brass (after adjusting for primer, powder and bullet). But the convenience of not having to load is worth that small amount. Besides, it gives me factory ammo to compare my handloads with.

Lost Sheep
Old February 26, 2012, 07:25 PM   #7
SWIll

Thanks!

Thank you all for the information, I feel a bit better informed now!