The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 1999, 07:50 PM   #1
45acp

OBVIOUSLY I KNOW TO USE A TUMBLER. I CURRENTLY USE A DILLON TUMBLER AND POLISHING COMPOUND. I WAS WONDERING IF THERE WERE ANY OTHER CHEMICALS THAT WOULD AID THE PROCESS. SOMEONE TOLD ME TO USE A LITTLE MINERAL SPIRITS IN THE MEDIA. ANY SUGGESTIONS???
Old December 6, 1999, 08:26 PM   #2
WalterGAII

I mix one part Nufinish auto wax (It's not really wax) with two parts mineral spirits and squirt a little into my media, particularly when it's gunky. Really shines brass.
Old December 6, 1999, 09:45 PM   #3
swifter...

I dump about 3-4 oz of rubbing alcohol into the media. I use untreated corncob, as any polishing compounds are going to, eventually, wind up in your bore...
If I have really cruddy brass, I use some hoppe's #9.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old December 7, 1999, 11:17 PM   #4
jtduncan

You can add any metal polish intended for brass so long as it doesn't contain any ammonia.

I use some ammonia-free metal polish I got at a NAPA auto parts store. 36 ounces for $8.99 and I didn't have to mix a thing. A couple of squits per batch. I figure it will take me a year and a half to use it all up.

Don't waste your money on the polish from Dillon or Midway - it's the same stuff in a smaller package marked up 6000%.

------------------

The Seattle Shooter

Old December 8, 1999, 12:06 AM   #5
alan

I use crushed walnut shells or hulls, along with Midway treatment, smells like lemons. Have also tumbled brass w/o treatment. Seems to do about as well, takes somewhat longer though.