The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 11, 2015, 09:02 AM   #26
22-rimfire

You need to do some paper punching with various 22 ammo with your rifle to determine what seems to work best. yes, even the quiet or subsonic stuff. Generally speaking, shorts will shoot some of the worst groups. But precision/accuracy is relative to the distances you might be typically shooting. At 25 yds, most 22LR shoots pretty well from a practical point of view. What seems accurate at 25 yds may not look so good on paper at 100 yds.

If it is really important to you (quiet shooting), I would suggest that you consider a long barreled 22 rifle and better yet, get a suppressor for it. The CZ mentioned earlier comes to mind.

Standard velocity 22 rounds will generally cycle semi-auto actions. Subsonic will be less predictable and generally won't.
Old April 11, 2015, 04:39 PM   #27
Geezerbiker

My Savage 87's ( I have 2 of them) have a bolt locking feature for use with ammo that has too little power to cycle the action so you won't get stove pipe jams... These are also very accurate rifles for what I paid for them.

I've been using CCI CB longs and they're very quiet and accurate with these rifles...

Tony
Old April 12, 2015, 12:49 AM   #28
Clark

If you weigh the amount of powder in the 22 cartridge, there will be an amount you cannot exceed for a barrel length, and stay BB gun quiet.

To get more power out of an amount of powder, the powder charge volume should be minimized. This is why shorts work better.

Jumping a long way to the lands is hard on accuracy.

I have a double length 22, special low volume 45/70 cases, a double length 50 wildcat, and a quad triple length 12 ga, all in low noise without suppressor experiments.

I have come to the conclusion after 20 years of experiments that the most practical thing to do is CCI CB Shorts [0.45 gr powder] in a 24" barrel rifle, and go for the brain shots.

pics above same as links below
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?