The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 17, 2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Sevens

Colt Camp Perry "revolver" ?

Visited a Cabela's Gun Library today and saw a revolver that I was unfamiliar with.

Or did I? I mean, I did see it, it was there. But... is it a revolver? I am posting about it in the "Revolver" area of our fine forum, but I suppose it simply isn't a revolver.

This is the Colt Camp Perry

...and that "cylinder" is a single shot device that swings out like a cylinder but it doesn't rotate and you only get one shot.

Full disclosure, this picture belongs to another poster here on TFL. I found it in a quick search -- it's linked here, in this thread.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...olt+camp+perry

Who's got experience with one of these? A quick google revealed that they made around 2,500 of them between 1920 and 1941.

Interesting. Can you pull that trigger double action? Or was it meant for single action only?

Kind of cool. And here I thought the Ruger Hawkeye pistol was a design all unto itself -- it seems it was inspired by the Colt Camp Perry.
Old March 18, 2013, 06:37 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I believe they were only made in .22 LR and were single action. Pulling the trigger doulble action wouldn't do anything.

They are highly sought after. Some years ago I saw an early one in probably 97% condition, but with the box and all other correct goodies, for $3,500.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Bob Wright

Not only Colt and Ruger, but Smith & Wesson and Savage made single shot pistols built on the frame of a revolver, the Savage being made to look like a Single Action revolver. Let me correct that statement: The Savage pistol was not made on any existing revolver frame, but was a totally new pistol.

For awhile, there was a place for a good single shot target grade pistol. I believe Stevens made a top-break single shot and Remington tried a rolling block pistol.

And who can forget the Remington bolt action XP-100?

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; March 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Sevens

I still think the closest thing to it that I've seen was the Ruger Hawkeye.

As for the price, I didn't get a phenomenal look at condition, but in the few moments I stared curiously at it, it sure looked like it was very well kept and IIRC, the price was nowhere in the neighborhood of that $3,500. I believe they had it tagged around $1700. Of course, this may be a much later one. As I said, I had never even heard of these before, but you glance in a case and see a revolver... with a completely flat "cylinder" and you kind of do a double-take.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:54 PM   #5
RJay

How about the H&R .22 USRA Model 195 Single Shot Target Pistol
Old March 19, 2013, 08:51 PM   #6
sgms

Sevens, yes you did see it. The Camp Perry model Colt is a single shot, single action .22 long rifle rimfire pistol. It was one of the free pistols of it's day with (in the case of the one you have pictured, {it's mine}) it has a trigger pull of just under a pound. When you release the action to reload the entire barrel and chamber swing to the left, the rod under barrel is a manual case ejector. The trigger can be pulled as in double action but will do nothing till cocked. I have been told that Colt did offer a double action only model on a custom order basis but have never been able to verify that, I have never seen any but the S.A. ones. Most of the other major pistol companies also had single shot target models but all are hard to find and in good shape cost a good bit.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:04 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

As I noted elsewhere, those single shots had a following in the days when formal target shooting had more of a following. Also, the rules allow different guns for different stages of a match. Since slow fire is ten shots in ten minutes, a single shot made for that game makes sense.

Jim