The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite 1911 manufacturer
Kimber 16 11.35%
Sig 9 6.38%
Colt 82 58.16%
Springfield 34 24.11%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 28, 2012, 05:36 PM   #51
Techsan

This thread has been hijacked so badly by the DW fans that I'll just pile on. I own a CBOB and VBOB and yes, while they're not the value they once were after the price increase, the new DW 1911s are an excellent choice.
Old January 28, 2012, 11:11 PM   #52
TRDFurgesson

If they hadn't hijacked it I wouldn't have looked into DW. I was kind of surprised that Colt came out on top, I personally thought it would be Springfield or Kimber.

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
Old January 29, 2012, 10:36 AM   #53
zombieslayer

I don't think it was hijacked. He looked around, asked opinions, and made a good choice!
Old January 29, 2012, 01:38 PM   #54
rodfac

Fantastic grips, Olympian...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:22 AM   #55
Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
Fantastic grips, Olympian...Rod
Thanks!
Old January 30, 2012, 10:45 AM   #56
TRDFurgesson

It's now official squawk 7500

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
Old February 3, 2012, 04:19 PM   #57
1hogfan83

The springer is WAY overpriced for what they are. If your wanting a carry gun, it will have to be an alloy frame or invest in some good suspenders. Smith and wessons 1911PD is the way to go. I've said this several times but the gun is near perfect for carry. 4 1/2, great novak sights, stippling front and back, and all for about 900 on budsgunshop.com. Rings in at about 28-29 ounces w/o ammo. Colt would be my second choice, it will keep a good value over time, just like a harley, then again, you are paying for a name on the side. Kimbers are trash, the new ones anyway. Dan wessons are semi custom but save your money, buy ammo and a nice belt and hoster. Sigs are REALLY nice, same price range as smiths, their just UGLY!!!!
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old February 3, 2012, 05:14 PM   #58
TRDFurgesson

Not for carry, for IDPA CPD

I purchased a Dan Wesson V-BOB. Wanted a ss slide and frame in commander length. Sigs are stainless but ugly for sure, and I haven't really heard anything good about the smiths. Before I got the DW, I was set on a kimber pro TLE stainless. But after handling that v-bob in duty black the kimber felt kinda cheap. My EDC is a Glock 23 gen4.

Old February 4, 2012, 08:39 AM   #59
TRDFurgesson

I did just that, I'm the OP.

Old February 4, 2012, 08:57 AM   #60
shep854

I voted Colt, 'cuz that's what I have. It's an early stainless Commander, actually my first handgun. I was looking for a full-size 1911A1 clone, but I read a review by Mas Ayoob, then found mine at a good price.
It's been lightly customized with ambi safety and arched MSH and except for a broken slide stop, has been flawless.

What's interesting is that while Colt has far and away the most votes, it has had the fewest comments on this thread...I guess that means the Colt owners don't need to say much...
Old February 5, 2012, 03:39 AM   #61
BillCA

That's because it's a Colt.

Actually, Colt does have its problems at times. You mentioned a broken slide stop. Some folks complain about the plastic triggers on some Colts or the "loose" slide or MIM parts. Most of the MIM parts are easily replaced if desired. The loose slide is there so it continues to run even dripping in sand or mud. But the main issue is that Colt continues to define the 1911 frame and there are no real concerns that a standard 1911 part won't fit on a Colt.

That's not to say every Colt is perfect. I've seen them come from the factory with the lower dust cover machined off-center, uneven cuts alongside the recoil spring cap, loose barrel bushing keyway cuts, and similar issues. Made me wonder if some trainees were doing base inspections.

As much as I like my Colts, they are all Combat Commanders (steel frames) and a bit tiresome to to carry. A standard (lightweight) Commander is easier on the hip. The Defender is a great compact gun for carry too. But the one I carry the most is my S&W 1911SC (now 1911PD) with the light Scandium frame. It's light, fast, nimble and easy to shoot.
Old February 7, 2012, 03:54 PM   #62
TRDFurgesson

Pics:

I was surprised that it wasn't much bigger than my Glock 23 Gen4.

Old February 7, 2012, 09:51 PM   #63
KyJim

Beautiful gun! I know it will shoot well, too. Have fun with it!
Old February 8, 2012, 01:34 AM   #64
arentol

No vote from me. Get a DW.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:04 AM   #65
TRDFurgesson

This was my thread, and I did get a DW.

Old September 7, 2012, 01:01 PM   #66
Deanimator

Quote:
If your wanting a carry gun, it will have to be an alloy frame or invest in some good suspenders.
HAVE to? Not really.

I've frequently carried a full sized Norinco.

No suspenders, but definitely not a crappy Walmart belt.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:37 PM   #67
TacticalDefense1911

Nice V-Bob TRD...it won't disappoint. You are not going to find better build quality for the price.
Old September 28, 2012, 06:50 PM   #68
6.5guy

And the DWs shoot
Old September 28, 2012, 07:04 PM   #69
Mello2u

I don't think my opinion of the 4 choices you offered would help; but I do offer a picture of my DW CBOB. Notice that sharp checkering on the front strap. It was under $1000 out the door.
" Frederic Bastiat

Tags
1911 , colt , kimber , sig , springfield