The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 20, 2014, 10:15 PM   #1
Darker Loaf

S&W 986: A first time revolver owner's perspective

I am a first-time revolver owner, and I decided to start my wheelgun collection with a S&W 986. That it is in 9mm was the obvious selling point for me. I wanted a 929, but Venom1956's FFL stocked a 986 for him (he wants a 929, too), and he wanted me to take a look at it.

Honestly, I fell in love with it. I'm not sure I won't be jealous when his 929 comes in, but the gun is a trimmed down yet somehow full-sized beauty. The double-action pull is a dream, and I shoot it better than I do custom auto-pistols in single or striker, as evidenced by my targets. The single action is scary light, but I spent the majority of my range time on DA. I'm seriously considering making it a DAO gun.

The 9mm moon clips seem to want to just leap into the cylinder, and I cannot wait to buy a pile of them and make this gun truly dirty. My only complaints are the hogue grips which are both slick and too wide at the bottom AND the flat black front partridge sight. But I plan to change both these things as soon as I can.

I just need to decide on a holster. Any suggestions for a good belt holster?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140820_174651 - Copy.jpg (213.0 KB, 139 views)
Old August 21, 2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Venom1956

I will second how fantastic that gun is. While I wanted both the 986 and 929 I decided that i'd offer this one to Darker since he had the itch. After some range time with it I think I might regret it.

The DA on this gun is fantastic much smoother and lighter then I expected. Once he gets new grips and irons I think this gun will be a monster. No less then seven people came to see it yesterday and want to hold it.

Moon clips make policing brass in tall grass and woodchips a dream.

If you are even SLIGHTLY interested in a cheap duty sized revolver that is great to shoot I highly encourage you all to look into this gun. S&W really made a great 9mm revolver.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 21, 2014, 02:54 PM   #3
BubbaBlades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFu7tMtFLzw

I put S&W wood grips on my 986 but I found that the factory sights seem to work ok for me. I shot the above YouTube video holding my camera in my left hand and shooting the gun with my right hand.

Mark aka BubbaBlades
Old August 21, 2014, 03:22 PM   #4
skizzums

that is a slick looking gun, congrats. I love revolvers and I love 9mm, I need one now!!!
Old August 21, 2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Darker Loaf

Thanks, skizzums! I'm really happy with it. I just need to pick grips, a new front sight (probably gold bead), a holster, moonclips, and set of moonclip holders.

I LOVE 9mm, and now I love revolvers! It'll be hard not to bring the 986 to the range every trip.
Old August 22, 2014, 07:05 PM   #6
BOBA FETT

i love my smith and wesson 986....i dont know what planet you are on but 1000 dollars is not cheap...
Old August 25, 2014, 08:48 PM   #7
FloridaGuy

I love my S&W 986 I shoot it every weekend. It seems to be an average priced S&W at least locally here in Florida.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old August 30, 2014, 04:44 PM   #8
rt11002003

S&W 986

Haven't had my 986 long, but more than satisfied with it. Can't say I agree with it having a light trigger. Smooth, yes; light, not so much. However, I consider the Hammerli Xesse and SIG X-6 at just over 2 pounds to be light. My S&W Model 41 at 3 pounds is also light.