The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2011, 01:07 PM   #1
bigjohn45638

Choice of Ruger pistols

Hey all, new member/reader here looking to buy my first handgun. About a year ago I had my sights set on a new P95, based on reviews I'd read and the relatively inexpensive price tag.

I was browsing through a local gun shop today and found the newer SR9c to only be $80 more than the P95, putting it just over $400. While I originally thought the trigger-safety mechanism was the only safety on the SR9c (which turned me off it, being first handgun) the dealer demonstrated that it is actually a redundant safety in addition to the slide safety mechanism. Interesting.

So what I'm looking at is Im a big guy, with big hands and while I'm not looking to conceal/carry at this time, I may in the future. With the 10rd clip I understand the SR9c could be c/c with the smaller grip size. I've read the thread about comparison of the two guns, but would like some input from experienced gun owners about which would be a better "fit" for me.

As a side note, the SR9c and SR40c are the same price. What would be your view on getting the .40 instead of 9mm as first gun. I'm not concerned with the difference in "kick" or recoil, as I mentioned, I'm pretty stout. I realize .40 rds will probably cost a little more than 9mm but is it that much more considering the extra stopping power?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old December 10, 2011, 01:17 PM   #2
kenny g

welcome bigjohn45638 !

if you get a chance, check out the SR9.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/52387
Old December 10, 2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Tnglock

Cant go wrong with either. I personaly like the sr9c the price on em at the gun shop here in TN has em for 389 . I have many guns as it is now or i would be buying one.
Old December 10, 2011, 01:22 PM   #4
JC57

If it were me, I'd get the SR9c. I don't own one but I've shot them before and it's a comfortable and accurate shooter. 9mm ammo is much less expensive than 40 for practice time, though good self defense loads are similar in price (and performance) between the two calibers.

If it's a first gun, you should be planning to shoot it a lot to gain proficiency, so the cost of practice ammo will be a consideration over time.

The SR9c is more versatile than the P95 since, as you have mentioned, you can use the smaller mag for concealment and switch to the larger mag if you want more capacity for home defense or range time.
Old December 10, 2011, 02:31 PM   #5
k4swb

The P95 will be more fun at the range. The SR9c will make an excellent CC gun but for range shooting and getting proficient the P95 wins hands down.
Old December 10, 2011, 02:37 PM   #6
mashaffer

Personal choice I suppose. In general I like hammers and dislike two piece triggers. Try to get a chance to handle and if possible fire both.

mike
Old December 10, 2011, 08:00 PM   #7
ESI Agent

I have the P95,SR9,SR9c,SR40. All work, it just depends on what you want. 9mm is cheeper to shoot which will give you the ability to practice more. In regard to stopping power, it's all about shot placement. Be safe.
Old December 10, 2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Minuit67

My first handgun was a P95 9mm back in 1999. At first it took a while to become acclimated to the handgun (being as there is an interesting difference in handling characteristics when you are fully loaded or on your last round due to the bottom being polymer and the slide being metal)...but after 150 rounds or so, I began anticipating the small nuances and had much tighter grouping patterns all in or within 1.25" @ 15 yrds.

P95 eventually began to lock up and/or jam after about 4,500 rounds or so, but for the most part, it was very reliable and a pleasure to fire. Wish you the best of luck in your decision.
Old December 11, 2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Sgt.Fathead

I daily carry the SR9C in a Galco Supertuck, concealed. I've owned quite a few Rugers; P94, P90, P345, etc. The SR9C is superior to any of the older P series pistols. It is a more accurate shooter, better sights and ergonomics, better magazine release (push button 1911 style vs. Ruger's proprietary push forward on the old P series), it is striker vs. hammer fired and shoots harder and longer, especially when dirty. The manual safety's use is at your discretion, the magazine disconnect safety is easily removed and just as easily replaced. With the 10 round magazine, even with the pinkie extension floorplate installed, it conceals easily and with the 17 round backup mag with grip extension, if I'm ever outgunned I'd better be fighting my way towards an AR or similar.

I love my .357 Magnums and had a long flirtation with .40 S&W and .45 ACP, too. The reason I chose 9mm was affordability, better recoil control, two rounds better capacity and the fact that my wife and I carry the same gun. There's nothing I could do with a .40 that I can't do just as well, if not better, with the SR9C in 9mm. I find it relatively easy to draw and make shots, two handed, strong hand one handed and even one handed weak hand, at up to 25 yards, on target.

We shot today, at Targetmaster in Garland, TX, and went through about 200 rounds of S&B 115gr FMJ and 100 rounds of Federal 124gr HydraShok JHPs, our current carry round. Even with the short 3.5" barrel, this gun is back on target for follow up shots and my wife, who does not shoot as much as I'd like, finds it well within her capabilities to handle. The trigger reset is short, the factory sights are adequate for daylight shooting (Brownell's order in for Trijicon night sights) and the grip is fine, even for those with larger hands. That pinkie extension helps!

Spare mags, a good holster, targets and loads of ammo and you're set. Good luck!
Old December 11, 2011, 06:32 AM   #10
AndyWest

Welcome, bigjohn!

If you're a bigger fellow like me, and you want a big-handed grip, go for a fullsize pistol as your first. 9mm is a great choice and the P95 will likely make you happy. As a bigger guy, you can confidently carry a fullsize with a shoulder holster if you want to.

And of course be safe! Practice safety like it's a religion and it will become natural to you. Shoot often, clean often, and be safe!
Old December 11, 2011, 08:56 AM   #11
Rugerismisticness

Big John,
The Full sized SR9 should be around the same price as the SR9c, so if you still want the full size, it's still out there. The SR9c is excellent, reliable, full chamber support, great sights, good trigger, and good size. I'd definatly buy that over a P95.
Old December 13, 2011, 03:57 PM   #12
bigjohn45638

Thanks to all the members who've replied. I do think I'm leaning toward the SR9c, but not buying until after first of the year so still open for suggestions.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:30 PM   #13
TriumphGuy

Can't go wrong with either. The P95 is built like a tank, but feels too "beefy" to some people. The SR9 is a little more "elegant" feeling.

I'd put each one in your hand and see what feels better. I wouldn't buy a compact for your first handgun though. I've known quite a few people who have had a very hard time getting the basics down when they tried to learn to shoot with a small handgun.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:07 PM   #14
Red Dog

The SR9c is a fine pistol but I don't like my pinky not being on the grip. I don't like the 'extender' either. So I say SR9.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:03 PM   #15
Johnnymurad

p95!
Old December 13, 2011, 11:12 PM   #16
K_Mac

You are correct that the SR9c with the 10 rnd mag is very concealable. With the 17 rnd mag and grip extension it feels very much like the SR9 IMO. There is no difference in accuracy in my hands. The 9c was an easy choice for me.