The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2009, 02:49 AM   #1
458winshooter

To blue or not to blue that is the question

I have a German Luger that has been given the chrome treatment and I am wondering if it would do anything to raise the value of the gun by reblueing it?All numbers on the gun match but not the clip and the chrome finish is chipping off of the end of the barrel.So what do you think?Thanks Russ
Old February 7, 2009, 03:18 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Russ
That is a call that only a qualified refinisher can make.
If the gun was polished and plated at a bumper chrome shop it probably would be too expensive to refinish it.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I think it's probably only worth it if it would sell the gun faster. I don't think you'll see something like if you spend 200 bucks to blue it, it will now be worth ~ 500 bucks, while if it was chromed it was worth ~ 300 bucks.

I think it would sell faster but once you ruin the original finish, it's a shooter, not a collector. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know what a chrome Luger is worth...
Old February 7, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Scorch

In general, refinishing a gun that has been refinished adds nothing to its value, and detracts nothing from its value. At this point it is a shooter, and even a restoration with rust bluing and nitre bluing of the appropriate parts will still be a restoration. But on the plus side, just about ANY Luger is going for absurd money these days.
Old February 8, 2009, 12:58 AM   #5
458winshooter

Luger

Thanks for the replies I plan on keeping it but was just wondering if it would be worth the trouble.I bought it as a shooter and do enjoy it very much even if it looks alittle odd.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:07 AM   #6
Voyageur

I found a fella that did powder coating on firearms and they turned out pretty darn nice. Sandblasting was included in the fee and all I had to do was disassemble the firearm. Price depends on the intricacy of the job and what is being charged in your area.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Inspector3711

Hmmm... Black nickel might look nice on a Luger... Then do the trigger and extractor in white nickel......