The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2015, 06:01 PM   #1
skizzums

9mm data question

loading up some 9mm 90gr. sierra jhp. weird data. I am using titegroup, current hodgdon manual

80gr TAC-XP 3.0gr-3.6gr 32,9kpsi
90gr GD 4.7gr-5.0gr 30kCUP
95gr sie same as above

why would the tac-xp take a lighter charge at a lower weight equaling a higher pressure? how can the bullet be that different to take a 20% lower charge on a 10% lighter bullet. obviously, I think I should just stick with the 90gr data, since the tac-xp is an all copper bullet, but I am just wondering why the copper bullet makes THAT significant of a difference when oal is within .01 of each other

someone school me on copper bullets please......
Old January 24, 2015, 09:23 PM   #2
noylj

TAC-XP is a monolithic copper bullet that increases pressure quite rapidly, so data has to be much lower for the same pressure. Added to that, the monolithic bullets, for a given weight, have to be much longer--thus increasing pressure more.
ONLY use jacketed lead-core data for jacketed lead-core bullets and only use monolithic data for monolithic bullets.