The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 6, 2009, 03:03 PM   #26
Tucker 1371

Quote:
Young man, Lee Lapin gave you some advice to which you didn't bother responding. You're not even on the front doorstep of being prepared either emotionally, mentally or factually.
My apologies to both you and Mr. Lapin. I did look into some of the NRA courses offered and I plan to attend at least two when I have a handgun and time and money allow.

However, there is no need to belittle me because of my age. I am trying to be as ready and prepared as I can given my current experience. Can you fault me on that? I have a full understanding of my state's self defense laws and have read as much as possible about individual self defense cases in my state, barring any foolish actions (i.e. Oklahoma pharmacist) on my or another family member's part I have a very good idea of how my state's laws would apply in the aftermath of a use of lethal force in defense of our home. I know I am not ready mentally, but who is who has not had the unfortunate experience of taking a human life? I know I have one skill that is important to have in a high stress situation and that is the ability to detach emotionally and fall back on training or a plan of action. I know that if I do not do this when I have to defend my home then I will surely fail, I will either hesitate and be killed or make a very costly mistake that causes me to take the life of a family member or close friend. Short of the formal training mentioned above I believe I am as prepared as I can be, for now.

I have discussed this with my family and we have decided on a best course of action, I still have some talking to do with my younger brother but he will get straightened out and know his role.

Edit:
Quote:
My plan is if ever needed take the safety off the gun, get everyone inside 1 room including the dog, lock the door, keep dog at your side, call 911, defend said door from intruders.
I like this, low risk for me and hard to construe as me being a "bloodthirsty vigilante". My parents will (should) be guarding their own door with my brother's 20ga. That said and my dad being the very authoritative ex-navy officer that he is will probably still try to remove an intruder just by barking orders at him. If that fails I have a feeling that we're in for a rough night.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Last edited by Tucker 1371; June 6, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old June 6, 2009, 06:14 PM   #27
SP Shop Foreman

Well, I'm only 10 years older than you are, but my Dad is 44 years older than me. I think anyone under 40 is a young man to him. And he didn't mean his comments to be demeaning, but think about this.
NRA certification classes are the next best thing to worthless unless you're going hunting. You have no real idea about what can and will happen to you after you pull the trigger on a human being, bad guy or not. There's state laws and prosecutors, and then there's the one you should hope you never face. Civil law suits. Thats the one that seems to be able to dodge the laws and land you in a jail cell for a very long time to come.
You have no way of knowing which direction the whole thing will take after there's just you, a body, the Sheriff and the vultures waiting in the wings.
The best you can do is be as well educated in the ramifications of pulling a trigger. You need to find a CC instructor that has references. The responsibility to find the right instructor and the most thorough course is yours.
My Dad almost never posts anything on the net anymore, but I'm going to go find the one that he did post for a guy who was sort of in the same boat as you. You might find it good reading, and at least it will give you something to think about.

Latigo

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old June 6, 2009, 06:22 PM   #28
Tucker 1371

Thankyou Foreman, I'll be sure to read it.

Quote:
to amend Article 1 of Chapter 11 of Title 51 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to general provisions for defenses to tort actions, so as to provide immunity from civil action for the use of force in defense of self or others
Taken straight from Georgia code pertaining to self defense.

Read the rest of it, I feel pretty well covered if I shoot someone I don't know who forced their way into my home in the wee hours of the morning:
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2...ext/hb1061.htm

I've read and re-read this about 15 times over so I feel like I know it pretty well. Let me know if you spot something you think I missed.
Old June 6, 2009, 06:58 PM   #29
SP Shop Foreman

Its this one. And I'm glad you're protected in your state, or at least I hope it stays that way.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=60859

Interesting reading at the very least.

Latigo

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old June 6, 2009, 07:52 PM   #30
cracked91

Quote:
Sorry but your parents should have the guns,not that your not capable but them being down stairs and being the first to respond it's there call! what do you think an intruder is going to do if he sees you coming down the stairs with a gun? First thing is grab your mom or Dad,now you have a hostage situation it just esculated!

Im sorry but I disagree with this statement. If the father is not willing to mentally condition himself or does not really care that much to have a gun, then as long as he is okay with it they son who actually knows what he is doing should be the one armed. If one of the inexperienced parents grabs the gun, then gets it taken away from them because they are not actually ready to kill someone, then the situation really just escalated. As for your brother, Until he really gets some experience with it you should have him bring his 20 ga just unloaded. I think the scare factor for the BG would go up when confronted with two people with long guns vs. just one. I would say get to where your family is as quickly as you can and then assess the situation from there.
Old June 6, 2009, 08:18 PM   #31
MosinM38

First, I'd just recomend you get the family together and talk it over.

If everyone looks over the facts, it may be easier to work something out

Right now, I'd see if your brother would leave his SKS or 20 gauge with your dad.

What I'd recomend: Dad has a gun, you have one as well. Work it out a "Plan" on what do do. Ask your brother (Phrase it this way as well), to remain upstairs and call 911, this way there is a always-open 911 line, and as "backup" (All of this will sound important). If there are shots fired, pre-arrange some kind of signal, and then decide on what to do.

Right now, our plan is no one leaves the rooms. Me and dad's rooms are within 15 feet of each other. We stay within the doorways, so anything in between AIN'T US. Only after we sorta figure out who's who, we look around more. Everything's one floor, and really open (Only 2 closed off/unseeable rooms), so it is alot easier for us.

Regardless, I sortof plan on getting a home-alarm system. Only problem is we have a driveway alarm, and all the freakin animals keep setting it off I don't know what we'll do with something circling the entire house!!!

To the comment above: I was under the impression that the father was willing to learn,etc. just that money is tight enough that he didn't want to yet?
Old June 6, 2009, 09:54 PM   #32
Tucker 1371

Quote:
Until he really gets some experience with it you should have him bring his 20 ga just unloaded.
An unloaded gun is one of the most useless things in the world. I believe I'll just have him grab his phone and hold down the upstairs.

Quote:
First, I'd just recomend you get the family together and talk it over.
We have. I still have some convincing to do with little brother but he will come around. As for my parents they will be staying in their room with a 20ga while I respond. They really barely know "come here" from "sic 'em" about guns so this is best for now until I can get my dad to get a gun and log some range time.
Old June 6, 2009, 10:07 PM   #33
Senator Vitaman

Have you considered letting your brother lead, so he won't accidentally shoot you? Then again, there's a risk he'd accidentally shoot someone else.
Old June 7, 2009, 12:22 PM   #34
onthejon55

If the BGs are confronted by your parents then they arent likely to be worried about or aware of your presence. This gives you alot of time to sneak down the stairs and either set up and wait for the BGs to turn the wrong corner or to sneak up on them and take control of the situation. Since your parents are unarmed then you do not have to worry about them accidentally confusing you with an intruder which makes your job a whole lot easier.

Also if someone has illegally entered you house, the situation has already escalated to the point where a gun is necessary.

Is there anyone else who lives in the upstairs part of the house with you and your brother? you could put your brother in charge of defending them. If not just explain to him the importance of dialing 911 and convince him thats the best way for him to help out.
Old June 7, 2009, 12:53 PM   #35
cracked91

Quote:
An unloaded gun is one of the most useless things in the world.
Not necessarily true, I would rather attempt to beat someone to death with an unloaded cobra then try to shoot them with a loaded one.