The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2008, 02:41 AM   #1
hamster

What else do I need?

I read the sticky in this forum for noobs of reloading, and after doing a google search I ran across this which I think is best suited for me since I am very low on space for a whole bench:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=624416

It says that it's a kit and that I need dies and shellholders. Reading that sticky I know that I also need a powder measure and scale, I'm googling that at the moment, the part that confuses me most is what dies do I need for reloading 308WIN.

I'm not looking to reload large volumes. I just want a barebones setup that will allow me to reuse my brass from my very scarce range trips (once every 2-3 months). Any links and advice are greatly appreciated.
Old November 1, 2008, 04:50 AM   #2
k Squared

Another Option

Hamster,

I did a bit of reloading with an older style Lee Hand loader. While it got the job done, I much prefered using a bench mounted press. There are a couple benches available that can be taken apart and stored in a relatively small space. I used one similar to this. Not nearly as good as real bench, but not bad for limited space or budgets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...024&t=11082005

If you are going to be doing full lenth resizing, I would think the bench would be your best bet, as you'll need to press pretty hard. If you will be doing neck sizing only (suitable for some bolt action uses) you may be OK with the hand press.

It looks like the press takes normal dies like theses
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...067&t=11082005
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...184&t=11082005
and shell holder
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...684&t=11082005
Old November 1, 2008, 06:50 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

absolutes (if loading ammo with a hammer)

Safety glasses; wear them without exception.

When pounding in primers wear a heavy glove on the hand over the case (ask me how I know LOL).

$3 LEE chamfer tool.

$3 LEE primer pocket cleaner

$5 MTM loading block.

(don't know how much but cheap regardless) LEE powder funnel (don't understand why this simplest tool is so hard for others to get right).

$? RCBS 505 scale; the industry standard (acceptable alternative: Dillon Eliminator scale); include inexpensive Lyman Scale Weight Check Set (and use it EACH TIME you set up your scale).

Hornady or RCBS powder measure. Mount it on a $20 LEE Reloader press.
Old November 1, 2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Posit

Didn't read the sticky - but calipers are essential. Several companies make .308Win dies; Lee products are usually cheaper than others, and are generally accepted by reloaders as "OK".

Realize that after 3-4 firings, your cases will have to be full length resized and probably trimmed. Dies come in sets of two or three dies: Seating die and full length resizer are typical (two die set), neck sizer added in a three die set. You can normally neck size until the cases are fired 2-4 times, then they will need to be FL sized. Somewhere along there, they will have stretched to the point they will need to be trimmed, requiring a trimmer and chamfer/deburring tool. Most reloaders buy the two die set (which can also be adjusted to neck size only, albeit with a little difficulty). Note that if your cases require FL resizing or trimming, they will not chamber in your rifle.

Agree the hand press will work, but is not ideal. The last time I had to be portable, I put all my equipment into a plastic storage container, added a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood and two C-clamps. I clamped the plywood to a table top, set up my bench press on that, and went to work. Not ideal, but OK.
Old November 1, 2008, 08:12 AM   #5
wncchester

Ham, the first thing you need is a loading manual. Lyman has a good one that is well written for noobs to understand each step and explain how it's done. Reading that will let you know what else you will need better than any of us can in a brief note here.

I have one of those Lee hand presses, it's good and I like it. BUT, I only use it at the range to set bullets at verious depths for testing! For the chores of reloading a bench mounted press is so far superiour they aren't in the same ball park. Lee also sells a really small bench press in the same price range as the handpress, they call it the "Reloader". I have one of those along side my big press and use it pretty often.

If you get the Reloader, you can mount it to a short piece of 2x6 board and then mount the board anywhere with a couple of "C" clamps. Or use plywood for a base as Posiit does. Either way, it's inexpensive, easy to set up, easy to remove and store! And MUCH easier to use too. Get it for now, it's all you will need for a press. Later, IF you get deeper into loading, you can get a bigger/stronger press and still use your little press as I do for depriming and repriming with the Lee Auto Prime II tool.

But, first things first, get the book, you will have to have one later anyway.
Old November 1, 2008, 08:42 PM   #6
hamster

Thanks for the replies. I will be buying a reloading book soon. I'm thinking of getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading.../dp/0873498518

As for dies, there are only 2 needed to be able to reload?
Old November 1, 2008, 09:08 PM   #7
irocknrol2

Yes, you only need two. they come in sets, or you could buy them separately. The sizer decaper die and the bullet seater crimp die.

You really need to buy a book from Speer, Hornady or Lyman first. It will explain everything in detail with pictures.

Good Luck
Old November 1, 2008, 09:24 PM   #8
wncchester

Ham, bottle neck cartridge die sets usually have two dies, straight wall cartridge sets usually have three. One brand, Lee, sometimes adds an extra die that only crimps bullets in the case OR includes a neck sizer die.

And you will need a "shell holder" for each cartridge head size, it goes on top of the press ram and holds the case as it's inserted in each die and provides the needed grip to withdraw the cases on the down stroke.

Just for your info, all Lee die sets EXCEPT the inexpensive sets they sell as the RGB (Really Great Buy, as they put it) include a shell holder with the dies, you won't have to buy that as an extra item. Individual shell holders normally run about $6-8, last I looked anyway.

The ABCs of Reloading has a reputation for being a very good starter book. Don't think it includes loading data but that's ok for now.