The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 28, 2000, 08:55 PM   #1
gunmart

i need to know what kind of sleeping bag i need for a trip to wyoming ?i will be there in october for a elk hunt.i will be staying in a tent with a woodburning stove.we will pack everything in on horses and atv so size has never been a issue.my price range is in the 250-300 range .

please reffer me to any sites you know of./
Old August 28, 2000, 10:59 PM   #2
Dave R

Within your price range you should have no trouble finding a bag rated to keep you warm down to 0 farenheit. Which you may need in Wyoming in October. But there are so many options its hard to even start. I'd go to:
www.rei.com

They have some pretty good on-line shopping. If there is an REI store near you, their knowledgeable folks will give you all the advice you can stand.

If there's not an REI near you, head for someplace that gives good service. Not Wal-Mart or K-Mart. Get something good quality, and rated colder than you think you'll need. Its been my experience that the ratings are sometimes "best case"--as in, that 0 degree bag may keep you warm at 15, but you'll want something rated to -15 to stay warm at 0.

I like Kelty brand, for what that's worth.
Old August 29, 2000, 12:44 AM   #3
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Kelty, north face, REI all make good bags.. go 0 at a miunimum -10 is better. You can also get a good bag at Cabela's.. just be sure yoiu have plenty of time to get it shipped.

Rob
Old August 29, 2000, 05:22 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Gunmart, I need to move this to "Gear and Accessories" forum.

If it were me, I'd take a hard look at www.wiggys.com - they have a great reputation.

You can increase your bag's ability to keep you warm by wearing a watch cap and clean socks. I've actually had more problems getting rid of excess heat.

Giz
Old August 29, 2000, 05:23 PM   #5
SnakeLover

I concur with the prior posts on this subject. The bag I use is a Cabela's Summit model mummy type. It uses Hollofil and is rated to -20. I've used it in Alaska, Canada, and most western states between May and late November with no real issues. I think they go for around $150 and the weight is around 7 1/2 lbs, which both don't seem of concern to you at this point.

Any bag in the price range you listed should work for your needs. Wether you choose goose down, hollofil or quallofil, it comes down to personnel preference. Just make sure you put it inside a garbage bag inside the stuff sack in case it rains on the way in. A wet bag is a bummer!!

Good luck on your elk hunt!
Old August 29, 2000, 06:22 PM   #6
Geared Up!

May I?

Please take a look at these bags. We began offering the Snugpak line of sleeping bags before they were becoming popular in the US. Since that time, we have seen a tremendous interest from military units (Code Green) and more recently the "commercial" end. When they were out of stock, I had backorders patiently waiting for up to six months.

We are about to receive another shipment. We offer a "no questions asked full refund" if you are not extremely happy with this bag. We have never had a return, but we have had many return customers.

These bags are known for their ability to compress down, yet still keep their loft and durability. They are extremely light and durable. They come with their own compression stuff sack. The most popular bag, the Softie Merlin 3 was completely out of stock for several months... and they are now back.

The entire line is viewable at our site http://www.geared-up.com/category.cfm?Category=42 , or for more technical information view at http://www.snugpak.com . If you have any questions, please ask. I am not the only dealer of these bags in the US. I believe that Cheaper than Dirt, US Cav, and others also sell this product. I just wouldnt want you to overlook this bag, as we have had so many satisfied customers.

Geri Weaver
Geared-Up!com
www.geared-up.com
Don't Forget the Dash!
Tactical & Outdoor Gear for Less

Old August 29, 2000, 08:53 PM   #7
gunmart

thanks for your reply.i took a look at your sight and your bags look good.i was kinda wanting to get a left hand and right hand zipper .it looks loke all you had them in was right handed.

i have ruled out the down bags and i am strongly looking a the wiggys thule.does anyone have one?are they too warm for most 30 to 50 degree wheather?i am sure they will be good in the 15 to 25 degree weather!!!!should i get the hood?
Old August 30, 2000, 04:42 AM   #8
Geared Up!

I may be able to get a left hand zip rather quickly. We secured the right hand zips because they are the first to go. Are you speaking about the Merlin Code Green or Civilian? Other bags are stocked at a warehouse and we receive them within a few days. No "special order" required.

If I can help, let me know.

Geri Weaver
Geared-Up!com
www.geared-up.com
Don't Forget the Dash!
Tactial & Outdoor Gear for Less
Old August 30, 2000, 07:45 AM   #9
HukeOKC

Well I haven't looked for them but http://www.basspro-shops.com/index.cfm has FREE SHIPPING on any order over $135.00. So since you will more than likely be over that you may as well get the shipping for free. I just purchased my scent lok leafy lite cammo pants and coat from them and the price was exactly the same as Cabelas. The difference was $11.something in shipping that I didn't have to pay.
You may also want to look into some military surplus type sleeping bags. The ones we had in Fort Drum NY were excelent and it was -40 when we went to the field sometimes.

[This message has been edited by HukeOKC (edited August 30, 2000).]
Old August 30, 2000, 07:51 AM   #10
HukeOKC

I just went over there to see what they had and you should check the RedHead® Trophy Hunter Sleeping Bag. It does everything and you can even make into a double if you want. $299.99 is at the top of your range but it looks like it's worth it.
Old August 30, 2000, 11:30 AM   #11
jthuang

You may also want to try Campmor (http://www.campmor.com) out of Paramus NJ. Excellent customer service and prices -- check out their "web bargains" and "hot deals" sections.

I got a The North Face 5 degree Polarguard 3D sleeping bag from them for around $110 -- with your price range, you should have no trouble at all finding something you want at their web site.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old August 31, 2000, 08:11 PM   #12
gunmart

well i had a hardtime between buying a down bag and one with a poly fill.

their advantages.lighter weight,packs smaller.dries quicker and little softer

poly fills plus is if it gets wet it might keep you a little warmer.

well i got both.
i got the wiggys ultralite with the crrst system
and got the north face cats moew.

i really appreciate everyones help.i did ck them all out .

also wiggys has a real neat set of leg warmers.they are like chaps that keep you warm.ithey are real lite and real warm.ill give you a full report.