The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 16, 2002, 02:57 AM   #1
Guyon

First Season of Turkey Hunting

Recently completed my first season of turkey hunting, and I thought I'd share my successes with the TFL'ers here. I hunted a couple of times last season with my uncles down in Georgia--just enough to figure out the basics. I used those basics this year and wound up taking two birds, a jake and a tom.

The jake was harvested on April 24th at 11:15. I had just changed positions and called for about 15 minutes on and off. I was using soft yelps and purrs. I had just fallen quiet when I saw this bird slipping in from my right. He never made a sound. In fact, I didn't hear a single gobble that day. As soon as he went behind a tree though, I got my gun up and when he stepped out on the other side, I dropped him. He went 13 1/4 lbs. and had a 4 1/2" beard.

The tom was shot on May 3 at 6:05. He was the result of an earlier hunting effort. I'd gotten this bird to gobble before, but the first time I raised him, he wandered off in the opposite direction, probably with hens. When I went back about a week later to hunt him, I came at his roost from a different direction. I hoot-owled and he half gobbled, so I started into the woods in his direction. One more hoot and resulting gobble gave me a better bearing on his direction, and I eased closer to his roost. Then a woodpecker sounded off, and he gobbled again pretty loudly. Scared that I'd spook him, I decided to go ahead and set up, so I put my decoy about 20 yards out, and settled in to call. A few purrs, low yelps, and some leaf scratching got his attention, and he flew down and began to gobble some more. The gobbling faded a bit, and I thought this bird had wandered off again. So I purred a little more and then shut up. He knew where I was, and I figured that if he was going to come, he was going to come. At about 6:00, he saw my decoy and gobbled right on top of me, and I eased my gun up. The bird slipped in perfectly from my left and was moving toward my decoy in full strut when I got him. He went 18 lbs. and had spurs of 3/4" and 15/16". This tom was triple-bearded and had beards of 9 3/4", 3 5/8", and 1 1/2". Probably a two-year old judging from his spurs.

Both birds were taken with a matte black Remington 870 Express Super Magnum with an XF Star Dot Choke and Tru Glo fiber optic sights. I used 3 inch, 6 shot Winchester Supreme HV turkey loads.
Old May 16, 2002, 06:56 AM   #2
BigG

Great job. Congratulations!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old May 16, 2002, 07:42 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Great! Next you can give us a report on comparative tenderness.

, Art
Old May 23, 2002, 02:58 PM   #4
Guyon

Thanks guys. Since I was clueless on how to cook these birds, both breasts are in the freezer right now. Any tips on the best way to cook 'em?
Old May 23, 2002, 03:09 PM   #5
Jack Straw

Congratulations! Ain't turkey hunting a hoot?

I like to cut the breast into fingers and fry it just like I would chicken fingers. Pick up a can of creole seasoning and sprinkle the meat with it. Then soak it in buttermilk for a while. Dredge it in flour and toss into a skillet of hot oil. Good stuff. Just don't over cook it!

Jack