The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Doyle

Please edumacate me on Benelli autoloaders.

I've been looking at inertia operated autoloaders lately and I'd like a quick lesson on the difference between the various Benelli models (other than the obvious cosmetic stuff like stocks). I see they have the Vinci, the Montefeltro, the Legacy, M1, M2, SBE and SBE II, etc. Are they all the same mechanically and just sport different cosmetics or are there real differences internally?
Old December 5, 2009, 08:29 PM   #2
PetahW

The SBE's (Super Black Eagle's) and IIRC the Legacy are mechanically different from the Montefeltro/Super90M1/etc in that their barrels are permanently installed into a receiver upper half, with the barrel and receiver upper separating from the receiver lower and buttstock when breaking the gun down.

The Montefeltro/etc barrels latch into a one-piece receiver, ala Remington 870 or 1100.

The SBE-type is the original Benelli design, and is the more expensive of the two designs to manufacture.

Old December 6, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
LordofWar

I bought the M3 Super90 & M4 and both have been a huge disappointment. They just refuse to cycle our local loads.

My Berettas (Teknys Gold, Urika 2 Gold) & Winchester SX3 however cycle them flawlessly.
Old December 6, 2009, 03:55 PM   #4
JackSparrow

I am a far bigger fan of the SX3 than any Benelli. They're just such smooth and beautiful firearms.
Old December 6, 2009, 05:26 PM   #5
50 shooter

LordofWar,
What type of loads are you using?

My Super90 M3 will cycle everything but those crappy all plastic Activ shells. Personally I feel better using the pump mode with birdshot so that I know there won't be any problems. For the most part if the dram eq. is high enough it should cycle the action in auto w/o any problems.
No time for rearranging.
Old December 7, 2009, 04:24 AM   #6
PetahW

[LordofWar, What type of loads are you using?]

Yeah, I'm curious to find out what kind of shotshells are available to the general public in Pakistan, too.

Old December 7, 2009, 12:15 PM   #7
BigJimP

Some inertia guns have trouble cycling shells that are slower than about 1250 fps ....especially the knock off models from Stoeger, etc ....

I have a Benelli Super Sport in 12ga and 20ga - and they will cycle any shell, even 7/8 oz or 3/4oz of shot as long as its at 1200 fps. They will not cycle any shell at 1150 fps .......but I keep them clean and well lubed / which I think is the secret.

My opinion, is some of the "knock off" models of inertia guns, like Stoeger, use similar actions to the Benelli - but the parts don't seem to be as well machined.