The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 12, 2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Jevyod

Factory synthetic vs laminated

I am looking at doing some work on my Ruger M77 MKII. I could never get it to shoot very well. Most of the time it is 1.5 @ 100 yards with a scope. I know for deer that is fine, but have been toying with the idea of using it for groundhogs. Anyway, I will be taking it to a gunsmith next week, and getting some trigger work done. I was also thinking of replacing the synthetic stock with a nice laminated one; (from Boyd's) and maybe getting it bedded. Is this a wise or not so wise idea? I would like a laminated stock simply because I like the way it looks with a stainless barrel. Or is there something else that I should be looking at doing? I do handload, and I think I am capable of shooting better than that! I have a 1951 Marlin 336 in 35 Rem that I can shoot .6 @ 100 yards and 1.3@ 200. Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks!
ps. It is a 260 Rem. And it is not the scope. I put a new Sightron SII on last year.
Old December 12, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Wyosmith

I have had much better results with wood and laminates than I have with synthetics as a rule. The very best of the synthetics are good, but cost as much or more than the rifles that go into them and I don't believe they are really "better" then a good laminate.
Old December 12, 2013, 04:27 PM   #3
HiBC

Seems like Ruger made a lot of rifles with laminate stocks.
I suspect some folks ,looking to reduce weight,may have restocked their Rugers with a synthetic stock.
Maybe if you do some searching,you can find a take-off.
Old December 12, 2013, 04:27 PM   #4
semi_problomatic

Just putting a laminate stock on may or may not improve accuracy. Properly bedding either action will most likely help. Have you messed around with barrel harmonics at all?

I'm not saying putting a laminate stock on is a bad idea but either way you'll probably want the action bedded. If you free float the barrel or not is up to you, and there are a few tricks to see if that will help or not.

Also helps if your action is properly torqued, if the loads are developed for your rifle, if the scope is set up right.... There are many possibilities and it's best to try 1 at a time so you know what worked and how much it helped.