The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 22, 2012, 02:26 AM   #1
CovertX

Magpul MOE grip won't fit DPMS

Hey all! I tried searching for more info on this issue but couldn't find anything so thought I'd just ask.

I recently got a like new DPMS Lo-Pro Classic and just picked up some Magpul parts to put on it. I went to install the MOE grip but its too narrow and won't slide on. Has anyone else had this issue on their DPMS? Also I bought a couple PMAGS and one is kind of tight fitting and the other has to be slammed in and yanked out. If someone has some advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 22, 2012, 04:55 AM   #2
sailskidrive

Most grips are like that, you'll probably need to spread the grip a little with a screw drive to get it started, be careful not to bend the selector detent spring.

PMAGS are sometimes a little tight in the magwell, my POF lower is like that. How does a GI mag fit?
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old November 22, 2012, 05:23 AM   #3
CovertX

Thanks! Prying it a bit plus a little squirt of Rem Oil and it slipped on with a some light persuasion, lol.

I've got some aluminum GI mags that I've got to dig out so I haven't tried them yet, but the steel ones that came with the gun fit pretty good, maybe a bit loose but nothing that's affected function yet. Is there anything I can do about the PMAGS? I don't much like the idea of having to sand or otherwise modify a brand new product for it to work, but if that's whats gotta be doneā€¦
Old November 22, 2012, 07:57 AM   #4
geetarman

Quote:
Also I bought a couple PMAGS and one is kind of tight fitting and the other has to be slammed in and yanked out. If someone has some advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have had the same issue. I got rid of all the plastic mags. I only have metal ones and they all work fine.

There is something about the plastic mags that just does not seem right. Some have no problem with them at all. I just do not like them.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 22, 2012, 08:12 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Tight grip fit is pretty normal. Warm the grip with a hair dryer and a touch of lube helps. The tight Pmag problem is fairly common also. I had one Pmag that was tight in every AR I own and a few that were tight in only one or two AR's. I've had Pmags become tight after a year or more of being in service.

D&H GI Teflon coated mags with the latest followers are $9, stock up.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Destructo6

I have a pre 1994 Eagle lower in which original Pmags are a tight fit. I emailed Magpul about it and they said they were designed for Colt magwells and that newer generations would fit a greater variety of lowers.

I just took a sanding block to the front of those Pmags until they dropped out smoothly. It really didn't take much work.

Keep all of them clean.
Old November 23, 2012, 01:17 AM   #7
Quentin2

Most of my PMAGs have been purchased in the last two years and all 20 fit and drop free from all six ARs in the immediate family. New PMAGs should work in most recent magwells, the older ones had problems.
Old November 23, 2012, 03:03 PM   #8
CovertX

The 2 I just bought the other day are brand new, made in August this year. The guy I got my DPMS from said he bought it new 4 years ago. I think I'll probably just sand them down a bit and call it good. I might try some of the Lancers, or for this rifle I'll just stick to GI mags. Thanks for all ya'lls help.