The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 26, 2012, 11:44 AM   #1
G. Freeman

10/22 blued vs stainless barrel, any concerns with rusting?

Hi Guys,
I bought a new Sts. Ruger 10/22 recently and really enjoy it. There was another 10/22 that caught my attention-- the Tactical Model FS (with muzzle brake).

I'd like to get one but I for one tend to shy away from blued guns/barrels. Does the bore of a blued gun require more cleaning and care than a stainless barrel? I want to prevent bore pitting as much as possible but don't want to have to scrub the bore any more than how I plan to maintain my stainless 10/22 (I plan to scrub the bore only when accuracy begins to suffer).

Do you give your blued Ruger 10/22 more care and cleaning compared to your stainless one?

The gun will be used mainly for target shooting only in dry conditions.

Thanks in advance!
Old September 26, 2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Pahoo

SS can and will rust.

As far as the bore, I am not very concerned either way or measure the difference between SS and blued. I have worked on both barrels that I don't think were ever cleaned and have never drug any signs of rust out of the bores. ....

Now, as far as external surfaces, I give both equal attention as the SS barrel can get rusty. I have actu ally seen what I call, rust worm holes. In fact, that holds true, for me on all SS barrels. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old September 26, 2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Mobuck

Modern 22 bores are not prone to rusting even when not cleaned. The wax bullet lube coats the bore sealing out moisture. I leave a plain blued 22 in the barn year round and another in the pickup cab and there's no evidence of any rust or corrosion inside the bores.
Old September 27, 2012, 03:21 PM   #4
G. Freeman

Would it matter at all that most of my shooting is with buck pack copper plated 22LR ammo?

Mostly Federal & Winchester. I don't know if the Remington bulk pack that I recently used (copper plated) has a small film of wax on it.

But the best ammo prices I've seen is still with the Federal Bulk Pack.
Old September 28, 2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Pahoo

Switching gears

The 10/22's, have a reputation of being able to east just about any ammo with little or no negative results. So no, it should not make a difference. ..

However, I have had more than my share of problems with Federal Bulk packs as they are dirty, under-powered and accuracy is not consistant. Understand that Federal has more than one choice, on bulk packs with different colored boxes. ...

Be Safe !!!