The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 10, 1999, 03:30 PM   #1
sbryce

Who can recommend places to shoot in the Salt Lake City area? I have been shooting at Lee Kay. It is hard to beat a $2.00 range fee. Now I would like to find a place to set up reactive targets (ie, overripe cantalopes) and try out my wife's shotgun on a stationary targets. Are there any places nearby where you can just set up a few targets and shoot? I'm not talking about ranges, but out of the way places with a good natural backstops where it is OK to shoot.
Old December 11, 1999, 02:32 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Doug's Shooting Sports on Redwood Road is one place I goto once in a blue moon.
Mostly I go up into the mountains or if I am going to to Provo I stop by the Shooting Range there south of Pleasant Grove. You can see it off the freeway.
Shooting in Salt Lake has been hampered by the closure of PRO ARMS... That was my main place.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

Old December 11, 1999, 11:34 PM   #3
sbryce

I was disappointed to find out about Pro Arms shutting down. I live very close to there. They shut down about the same time I started getting interested in guns.

As for Doug's, (I live even closer) I have decided that they will never get my business. I went in once, and it gave me the creeps. The irresponsible kids they have behind the counters shooting the place up with their pellet guns scared me just a tad. (I'm not talking about the range, I'm talking about the store.) Are these the kinds of people we want handling guns?

But it goes far beyond that. Last January they sold a 9mm semi-auto and a bunch of ammo to an obvious nut case. I don't know of any other gun store in the area that would have sold her anything. The next day she shot up the office building I was working in. Someone on the fourth floor was killed.

I don't believe that gun stores should be held responsible for what their customers do with their guns, but in this case, it should have been obvious that this one customer was mentally unstable. She never should have been sold a gun. I do hold Doug's responsible for putting a gun into the hands of someone who never should have had one.

I seldom get as far south as Pleasant Grove. I'll have to keep a look out next time I head out that way.

Thanks.
Old December 13, 1999, 02:56 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Yeah - I am not fan of Doug's either... but they are the only indoor range around here now.

If I need an indoor range - will go in and shoot and leave.

If I need to buy stuff... I go to SSI (?) The place on 5400 south right by the big smoke stacks that the city is wanting to take down.
It's mostly a cop shop - primarily radio and comms gear... But they got some good stuff in there. My In laws live out in the Uinta Basin - when ever I go out there - I bring my guns and it's great. You can shoot just 5 minutes out in any direction.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Old December 13, 1999, 12:02 PM   #5
sbryce

I didn't know about SSI. I'll have to look them up.
Old December 15, 1999, 11:25 PM   #6
Stahlhelm

My best friend lives in the SLC area and when I coem out to visit him, we always went to Pro Arms to shoot. It always struck me as a nice shooting facility. What happened, and why did it close down?
Old December 16, 1999, 06:00 AM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Because as I understand, ZION'S Bank called the loan. They wanted it PAID IN FULL, NOW.
They werent the only one. I know of no less than 6 other business that had the same thing happen. But they were able to refinance - and pay Zion's loan off.
The reason this happened in the first place?
I dont know. But it wasnt because PRO ARMS wasnt doing business. They were doing good.
The only real COP SHOP in the state.

------------------