The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 23, 1999, 08:51 AM   #1
DblTap

Well, I finally got the new (to me anyway) rifle out to the range this past Saturday. Showed up to help set up the IPSC pistol match, but open shooting was still going on, so I wandered over to the 200 yd rifle range. This rifle is the Match version with the 24" barrel, Springfield 2nd Generation optics and a Harris bipod. Took the manufacturer's suggestion and was shooting 168 grain Federal Match ammunition. Set the target out at 100 yds to get the optics dialed in. The first few shots were high and to the right, so I made the adjustments to the scope and patched the holes in the target. The next five had 2 in the center about 1/16 of an inch apart and the other 3 touching about 1/8 of an inch off the center two. Measuring from the outside of the two that were the furthest apart came to just over 7/8 of an inch.

OK, now lets see what this thing can do at 200. Fired five more at a fresh target and walked down to see where they hit. As I approached the target, I only saw three holes! Dang, I thought, this thing is completely off the target. As I got closer, two of the holes were larger than the third. To my amazement, the rounds had almost gone through the same holes, about 1 inch apart. I was using the same point of aim at 200 as I was at 100 (center white dot on the red circle target) and the rounds hit about 4 1/2 inches low. Does anybody know if that is about right for .308? Seems like a lot of bullet drop for an increase of just 100 yards?

I don't shoot that much rifle, but with this accurate a weapon, I'm sure going to start! I need some basic pointers about breathing, scope picture, trigger take up and other things that I should be aware of before touching off the round. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

There is a prarie dog target shoot coming up on December 12 at the club and I'm thinking that if I get this rifle dialed in at 200, it just might be some fun. There will be four targets, one full size dog, one 3/4 size dog, one 1/2 size dog and a crow. Five rounds on each with each string being shot in 90 seconds from a prone position (bipod can be used or sandbags under the forestock, nothing under the buttstock). 20 rounds total with Lewis system for cash payback.

If it's not 50 below freezing here in Michigan that day, I just might be flinging a few more rounds downrange.

DblTap
Old November 23, 1999, 10:52 AM   #2
Michael

DblTap,
Here's the elevations for Fed Match 168gr.
Zero at 100,
200 up 9; 300 up 12; 400 up 14; 500 up 16
600 up 18; 700 up 21; 800 up 23; 900 up 26;
1000 up 29.
Long answer to your question, but yes, 4.2 inches is the right drop for the load you're shooting.
Good luck and good shooting.

------------------
A single well placed shot will drop a target.
A rapid series of near misses will only infuriate.