The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 16, 1999, 07:27 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Ugly weekend to start out with:
I was pulled over for 2 miles per hour over the limit... Well - my bad, I was driving a Toyota Supra. I mean how evil is that!? No one NEEDS a car capable of going over 140 MPH! No one NEEDS a car that can go over 75MPH, Right?

Well, things got a little better:
Was traveling at a brisk triple digit pace (Hey - if I got pulled over for 2+ who cares now!) when I went past The Village People who were standing around just off the road... Not the Normal sight, especially in the Utah Desert. But my hind sight recognized the fact everyone had GUNS. Huh? Then I saw a big cardboard pistol point up the access road to where these guys were. Okay - guns and chaps... something is going on.
The Supra is one of the BEST sports cars on earth. It not only moves like a striped ape - It can stop quicker than Rosie passing the dessert bar! In no time I was wheeled around and coming up the little road to the gathering.
Cowboys. Real freaking Cowboys. With Golf Bags? It could only have been one thing:
SASS Shooting match.
I was not able to stay very long - but I watched one shooting station where the course of fire started out singing in the bath tub. ? HUH? What ever - if they want to sing - who am I to tell them other wise, right? Besides, .44-40 is a most effect caliber against a guy in a cotton shirt and jeans. So when an old codger started wailing "I love swimmin' with bow-legged women, and swim between there knees..." Well, I just chuckled, but other wise kept my mouth shut.
Every one there was most polite and friendly even. I had a couple offers to try my hand at the shoot and even borrow the revolvers and shot guns and rifles of my choice. Mighty generouse folks there. But I learned a long time ago to NOT OUT SHOOT some one with there own guns. This could be bad. Besides. I can't sing worth a lick and and no one there likes RAGE AGAINT THE MACHINE to begin with. So I stayed behind the line and observed. I picked up a couple interesting SA ARMY techniques that I will have to try out the next time I get my hands on a SAA revolver.

Then I had to leave as my time was running out... I had a wedding to get to.
The wedding food was awesome, plentiful, and free... And after some time... I was finished... Spent the rest of the time watching THE MATRIX on a Big Screen DVD... Sweet Ending.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited November 16, 1999).]
Old November 16, 1999, 08:40 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

You really should try cowboy shooting sometime. It's a hoot! I believe the style you most likely are referring to is using the off-hand thumb for cocking. It makes aimed shooting go a lot quicker as it doesn't require a reacquisition of your grip for every shot. Just lift your thumb up to the hammer and cock the action and blast away. I usually carry an extra Super Blackhawk just for loaning out in case someone is short a weapon. When I started out, all I had was one applicable single action and rifle. Half a dozen folks offered me the use of their shotguns and so I was able to compete.
Don't worry about outshooting us. It gives us something to razz the borrower about . Seriously though many of the folks here don't much care about their scores (except the top few shooters), they just like to get out and shoot dressed up (or down) in their duds.
Old November 16, 1999, 09:13 AM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Thats the trick... THe nonfiring hand hardly moved save fo rthe thumb wich was cocking that SA back quick and slick. It was most impressive to someone who never saw that before.

I would like to thank every one there in the Vernal chapter of the SASS. Especially Richard Olsen aka "Slow Poke."
I really had a good time there.
Some very hospitable folks.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old November 16, 1999, 11:02 PM   #4
Ewok

I tried that at an indoor range once; I got chewed out for shooting my Blackhawk too quickly.
Old November 18, 1999, 10:42 AM   #5
Long Path

That stuff looks like and sounds like a blast! Now all I need is: <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
[1]A costume.
[2]An SA revolver.
[3]An exposed hammer shotgun.
[4]An old-style lever gun.
[5]Match entry fees.
[6]Sundays free of work or Honey-dos...
</UL>
&gt;Sigh&lt;

Maybe I can still go to Gunsite...

BTW, George-- Split the difference with 'em and play Johnny Cash on your CD player-- Unchained has him playing songs by Beck and Tom Petty...

And if you don't like Johnny Cash... well, yew jest ain't right!

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited November 18, 1999).]
Old November 19, 1999, 04:00 AM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Well - if he is playing songs from Beck and all that - and he DOES wear all Black...
I will have to give it a listen.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old November 21, 1999, 08:10 PM   #7
BillOH

George, What year is your Supra? I have an 88 that I use to drive my cowboy gear to the range. Also use it to go to IDPA matches. A really nice ride for the crooked roads around here. Bill
Old November 22, 1999, 01:13 AM   #8
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

'92 As if it realy mattered - ALL Supras are drastically fast. I am thinking very hard about selling it, and others off and buying a new Nissan Maxima. The Max is as fast as a Supra (read - Excessive) but is a less "Pull me over PLEASE!" look. The bigger back seat and trunk would be a bonus.

------------------
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

Old November 22, 1999, 09:41 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Gee, George, and here I've been thinking that the Supra would work really well with a "well-built" 350cid small block and a 6-speed.

, Art