The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 5, 1999, 07:44 PM   #1
cdf

I just returned from the local shooting range. I went with my girlfriend and a few of our non-shooting friends. They were aprehincive at first, not being used to being around firearms. I gave them some instruction on safety, proper handling, and shooting technique. I brought along my much-modified Mossberg 500, a S&W65, and a Taurus66. At the range I also rented a Ruger MK2 to start them out on.
At this range you have to shoot ammunition that you buy on site, so I picked up plenty to let everyone get a good round of shooting.
I let everyone fire off 20 rounds through the Ruger and they simply loved it and did a good job placing lead to paper. Then They tried a go with the '65(I had it loaded with .38 semiwadcutter). Their eyes widened with joy after popping off .38s at the siluets. Again, they were prettygood, and after some more advice on getting a good grip and site picture, they were on a roll.
But what they really liked was my modified 500. 18.5 inch barrel, synthetic pistol grip and stock. They loved how it simply dissentergrated the targets.
After our range session we discussed what types of guns they'd like to have. They all wanted to get Ruger MK2s and 12bores. When asked how they would feel if the government decided to confiscate their possible new purchases, they grew angry at the idea. When asked about the second ammendment, they declaired total support. I was very pleased to have a chance to spread the word.
Old December 6, 1999, 12:57 AM   #2
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

Heh, Now if we could only get Rosie O' and Sarah Brady to join us out there on the range. To bad they are both so closed minded that they would never even consider it. <sigh> Oh well, can't save them all I guess.

------------------
I would rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.

Old December 6, 1999, 01:54 AM   #3
DAL

Please, by all means, get them to join the NRA. The NRA may not be everyone's idea of what a pro-gun organization should be, but think of where we would be without it. There is strength in numbers, especially when it comes to dealing with unprincipled, cheap-populist politicians.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
Old December 6, 1999, 01:05 PM   #4
cdf

I have them pretty close to signing up with the NRA. They already love Mr. Heston.
Old December 7, 1999, 12:04 AM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

cdf - One of the best feelings there is... isnt it?

Taking newbies to the range is one of the most effective ways to turn an anti-gunner into a pro-gunner.

Makes me Proud... GOOD WORK!

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?