The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 19, 2008, 09:21 PM   #1
bryceh12321

Nikon BDC Reticle

I was looking at the Buckmaster line of scopes from Nikon, and seen they had a neat little reticle that was almost like a mildot, compensating for bullet drop. My question is, 'At what magnification do these reticles work?' I can't find it anywhere on Nikon's website, or in any item descriptions. Thanks for your help.
Old December 19, 2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Detachment Charlie

I have a Nikon Primos (essentially last year's Monarch) 3-9x40 with the BDC on my Stag AR. Nice, clear, sharp scope that holds zero well. The BDC is primarily a hunting scope, IMHO. It's for putting a bullet into an animal's kill zone. It's not really designed for minute of angle, 100 yd. tack driving. You can shoot great groups, but if punching paper is your main game, skip the BDC. If whacking bambi's daddy is your game, this is the scope for you.
YMMV

The U.N. is a criminal organization.
Old December 20, 2008, 12:20 AM   #3
SavageMOA

He's right. I have the BDC. It's great for hunting when you need to make quick shots that don't require super-precise shot placement (just a shot inside the kill zone).
Old December 20, 2008, 12:51 AM   #4
sholling

I agree with both previous posters. The BDc is intended to work at maximum magnification but the marks are reference points only. You'll have to test with your chosen round to see how close the come to lining up with actual shots. In general probably close enough.
Old December 22, 2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Oberg

it really isn't at what magnification is it set at it is what your bullet drop is. you have to get out and see at what distance your bullet and the circle meet at. and write it down. with a 308 ar it is pretty close to the retile out to 500 but you have to start aiming above the target. and that is with a 200 yard zero
Old December 22, 2008, 12:43 PM   #6
LateNightFlight

I'm with everyone else about the Nikon BDC sending you towards a region rather than a precise POI. I have a Nikon Omega with the BDC on a muzzle loader and it works, but I'm not fond of it. To me, the clutter of the reticle is distracting and I’d rather not have it at all.

My Nikon is a 3X9 Omega (for a Black Powder rig) with their BDC, which is formatted to coincide with 250 grain bullets ahead of 150 grains of powder, and works at the top setting of 9X. As far as I know, all the Nikon BDCs work at the top power of the scope. The problem with this is that my Nikon already has perhaps the worst FOV (field of view) of any scope I own. Cranking it up to 9X only makes matters worse.

I think any of the Burris scopes with their Ballistic Plex reticles are a better choice. Most of these also work at their top magnification, until you get into their higher powered scopes. The standard calibration for the ballistic reticle on my 6-24X Burris works at 15X, and is prominently marked on the power ring with an index line on the scope body. They also provide a nice reference key with their scopes that shows the POI at ranges out to 500 for many popular calibers with specific bullet weights.

To me, the ballistic reticles by Burris, Leupold and the like are more practical and useable, uncluttered and straight forward. I'd rank Nikon dead last according to my preferences. And here's the proof of my conviction: Since owning an older Nikon and a Nikon with their BDC, I've purchased 3 Burris scopes, all outfitted with their Ballistic Plex scheme.

It's just preference, really. Happy shooting whatever you decide.

Tags
bdc , compensation , nikon , reticle