The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 2, 2006, 10:21 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

"Shoot-Through" flaps on hunting blinds

Salesmen keep telling me that they personally know of someone who has, or they themselves have, actually shot at game (deer) with archery equip through the mesh window flaps on these doghouse-type blinds, and say that they are designed for that. I don't think I'd take any chance of it throwing off my arrow, but thought I'd ask - has anyone actually shot through one and gotten their deer? I also wouldn't want to shoot through with a rifle either. Too afraid of deflection. Plus you'd tear up your blind. I think that if you can't draw without the deer seeing you while inside a blind, with just a small uncovered window, you probably ought to just hang it up.
Old August 2, 2006, 10:26 PM   #2
Anthony Terry

I've never bought a blind with shoot-throughs either, because of that. I wouldnt feel right shooting an arrow thru something trying to hit something else. Not for me.
Old August 2, 2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Desertfox

FF, I own a double bull T-5. It has the option to open the windows fully or shoot thru fabric. I shot at a doe in Laredo, TX two years ago thru the mesh.
At 22 yards my arrow sailed over her. Clean miss and yes I did use some bad words. Muzzy 100gr. 3 blade. GoldTip carbon arrows, 4" vanes, Hoyt Razortec set at 72 lbs. I shoot dots at 20 yards and I was as calm and comfortable as I have ever been.(pumping heart but not too shaky)
I don't choose to shoot thru the mesh anymore. Fluke maybe but I choose to eliminate that as a barrier.
I have shot out the window with a rifle but not thru the mesh. I don't see the necessity.
The new double bull matrix is a different set up alltogether. If you choose not to shoot thru the mesh you have to bunch it up and leave a big gap of a slot in the side of the blind.
I like the size of the blind. Two folding chairs and a cooler and leg room in front of us. Ample room to kneel in front of my chair and draw my bow inside the blind. Comfortable way to hunt, but usually I like to be up a tree.
Good luck with the ground blind. Try shooting a target thru it. I wish I had.
Old August 3, 2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

Last year, one of the guys here at work, burned his blind up, when he shot through his "shoot through" window, with his muzzle loader.

Smoke filled up the blind, and by the time it cleared, his stand was on fire, and he couldn't put it out with what drinking water he had taken. I tried really hard not to laugh at him, but it became more than I could bare.

They MIGHT be alright for Bow hunting, but I sure wouldn't shoot a rifle of any kind through one.

P.S. The guy says it is really hard to find the zipper to the door, when the smoke is so thick, and the fire is growing.....but you WILL find it!
Old August 3, 2006, 07:48 PM   #5
stolivar

duh

I shoot tru mine all the time with rifles. I'm not dumb enough to try it with a blackpowder. All it does is blow the mesh out of the window.

steve
Old August 4, 2006, 09:23 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Thanks for the input guys esp. Desertfox. I'd try a rifle before a bow with that.

WBB, funny stuff.
Old April 18, 2007, 07:23 AM   #7
FirstFreedom

Last night on "Spirit of the Wild" with Uncle Ted, I could have sworn that he shot through one of the screens with his arrow at a west Texas pronghorn. They didn't come out and say that, but from the video, it looks like he did. Anyone know - anyone see that episode?
Old April 18, 2007, 08:57 PM   #8
zpurdy

yeah i saw that, i think he did but i wasn't really paying too much attention
Old April 18, 2007, 10:20 PM   #9
stinger

I've never bow hunted, but I can't see out my shoot-through windows in my blind because the scope magnifies the mesh too much.
Old April 19, 2007, 01:01 PM   #10
stolivar

yes he did

You can shoot through the blinds with regular broadheads. Not the ones that open up though.

steve
Old April 19, 2007, 02:06 PM   #11
dbgun

I use to bow hunt about 12-15 years ago, before I needed eyeglasses. Had a friend that actually sold these portable blinds with the shoot through fine mesh window. He killed a Spanish goat, I believe at about 20 yrds., during a hunt in Kerville, Tx. Use to always run into him at the big HUNTING show, in Houston (August). Back then I'm sure he only used broadheads. Haven't talked to him in a few years, but he would sell these blinds on a reagular bais.
Old April 20, 2007, 02:08 PM   #12
Overhill

I have killed three deer through these type of screens using broadheads. I have had no problems with arrow deflection. I dont use my blind during firearm or blackpowder seasons. However i would not hesitate to use it with my rifle if i needed to.
Old April 21, 2007, 09:17 AM   #13
jaymag

Gun Yes Bow No!

I would put my money that mesh would thow an arrow off like somthing wicked.Broadhead or not.It could be done but your chancing wounding a aniamal.If I had to fire shotgun or rifle threw it, I probley would.Who cares about the blind.It could be patched up.That powder thread was pretty funny.His sounds unpatchable
Old May 8, 2007, 10:38 AM   #14
FirstFreedom

Just so's ya know, if anyone is curious, evidently a lot of bowhunters shoot through these flaps, from what I gather reading the archery forums such as:

http://www.archery-forum.com/

http://www.archerytalk.com/

http://www.archerynetwork.com/

http://www.bowcountry.com/bows/forums/

http://forums.pse-archery.com/

http://www.topix.net/forum/outdoors/archery

There are a few more, too....

Last edited by FirstFreedom; May 9, 2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old May 8, 2007, 11:20 PM   #15
Desertfox

I agree, alot of bowhunters shoot thru the mesh. I try to be aware of my own personal limitations. I do not have confidence shooting thru it. That is just a personal choice.
I look at it like a running shot with a rifle. A large number of riflemen take shots that I pass on. Maybe I am just a paranoid fool. I take my fare share of game and I do it at my own speed under my own limitations.
You may shoot 100 deer and turkeys thru the mesh with no hic-ups.

You may be like me and have a shot go bad. I leave it to personal choice.

People make bad shots. I harvested a doe last fall that someone skipped a broadhead off her back. It left a nice gaping wound on top. A little off-topic so I am sorry.
Old May 9, 2007, 06:01 PM   #16
FirstFreedom

No, that's good; thanks. I'm kinda with you. I wouldn't want to do it, and take a chance of throwing the shot off and wounding. I wouldn't want to do it without practicing specifically through it, to understand the exact effects on accuracy, and so by the time I went a-huntin', the flaps would be sliced up pretty good. I'm gonna stick with the guns yes, bows no crowd on these.
Old May 9, 2007, 06:22 PM   #17
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
I look at it like a running shot with a rifle. A large number of riflemen take shots that I pass on. Maybe I am just a paranoid fool. I take my fare share of game and I do it at my own speed under my own limitations.
You care - I think that's a good thing, not bad. Hat's off to you.