The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 29, 2015, 08:37 PM   #1
rep1954

Cash Cab Foo Boo Mi

Watching Cash Cab the other night with the wife and a question asked was"Who was the man respondsable for the design and production of the first plastic framed handgun"? The answer was Gaston Glock. Jeepers was I ever wrong. I guessed it was H+K VP70Z, twelve years before the Glocks design was finished.

Last edited by rep1954; August 30, 2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old August 29, 2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

This just goes to show you how dumb you are compared to some Hollywood writer who once actually HELD a gun.
Old August 30, 2015, 07:20 PM   #3
FITASC

That show is still on? Haven't seen in my area for about a decade..........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 2, 2015, 03:38 PM   #4
lechiffre

What you fail to understand is the indisputable FACT that Gaston Glock is the man respondsable for the design and production of the HK VP70.

The TV can not be wrong, especially on a cable game show in a cab.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old September 2, 2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Chris_B

Quote:
Watching Cash Cab the other night with the wife and a question asked was"Who was the man respondsable for the design and production of the first plastic framed handgun"? The answer was Gaston Glock. Jeepers was I ever wrong. I guessed it was H+K VP70Z, twelve years before the Glocks design was finished.
Hi. Respectfully, yes of course you were wrong; you didn't answer the question that was asked: "Who was the man responsible".

They wanted the name of a person. Your answer would have been the name of a pistol.

Who designed that H+K? Dunno. I can't seem to find out. maybe that's why cash cab went with the Glock: they could pin down the designer's name.
Old September 4, 2015, 04:19 AM   #6
PSP

Quote:
Who designed that H+K? Dunno. I can't seem to find out.
FYI;
"The VP70 itself was designed by the great HK engineer Helmut Weldle and company co-founder Alex Seidel. Production of the VP70 series was halted in August, 1989."

Helmut is the same guy that gave us the PSP. Maybe he knew Gaston.
Old September 4, 2015, 04:41 AM   #7
skizzums

The question is, did the contestant answer with either of those responses? If they did, I'll give them props either way for at least knowing SOMETHING about firearms in the North East. If they gave the technical answer on the HK I am sure the producers would have quickly fact checked and edited out their incorrect answer.

What was the answer given? AR15, charleton Heston?
Old September 4, 2015, 05:15 AM   #8
CajunBass

Quote:
If they did, I'll give them props either way for at least knowing SOMETHING about firearms in the North East.
I'd give them credit for even asking the question.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 6, 2015, 06:21 AM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
"Who was the man respondsable for the design and production of the first plastic framed handgun"?
I didn't see the show, but sometimes a small detail, often unnoticed can make a huge difference. Had the question been worded slightly differently Gaston Glock would have been the correct answer.

"Who was the man respondsable for the design and production of the first commercially successful plastic framed handgun"?

If confronted with the facts I'm betting they would say that was what they meant.
Old September 6, 2015, 08:05 AM   #10
rep1954

Quote:
If confronted with the facts I'm betting they would say that was what they meant.
What do you mean that my wife secretly works for the producers of Cash Cab?
Old September 6, 2015, 03:16 PM   #11
jmr40

Columbus didn't discover America, Edison didn't invent the light bulb, and the Wright Brothers weren't the first to fly a plane. But they are all generally given credit for being 1st because they actually found a practical use for their discovery or invention. The first guys to America didn't send anyone back, and the 1st light bulb and airplane inventors stuck their ideas in a drawer and did nothing with it. Columbus inspired settlement and Edison and the Wright brothers continued to refine and market their ideas.

Glock wasn't the 1st to come out with a plastic gun, but very few will know that minutia. HK was first, but that weapon is a foot note in firearms history.
Old September 13, 2015, 02:53 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

HK VP70Z is well known as a machine pistol and having a really crappy trigger. Cooper called it, in the only gun rag article I've ever seen that panned its subject, a Jam-o-Matic.