The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2005, 05:52 AM   #1
Hook686

Rem-Choke and sabots

I have a Remingtion 1100 with a 28" barrel, modified choke and a 21" smooth bore barrel with Rem-Choke. The chokes I have are a IMP CYL and a RIFLED. I'm thinking I can shoot rifled slugs with the 21" barrel with the IMP CYL Rem-Choke and sabots in the 21" barrel with the RIFLED choke. Is that pretty much correct ?

I am also assuming any slugs through the 28" barrel that has the modified choke would not be the best idea .... is that correct ?

I'd appreciate anyones experience with using slugs under these conditions.

Hook686
Old December 8, 2005, 06:22 AM   #2
mete

A sabot slug is designed for rifled barrels or rifled chokes . A standard slug is for standard chokes usually cylinder though you might play with other chokes to see if you get better accuracy.
Old December 8, 2005, 07:43 AM   #3
n3twrkm4n

I have an Wingmaster and it has a modified barrel (no choke tubes) and I figre RIFLED slugs through it just fine. It likes Winchesters.

SABOTS as stated above are designed for rifled barrels because they do not have grooves on the side. That being said there was concern of them lodging in the barrel because there are no lands or grooves to stabilize their path.