The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 23, 2015, 11:03 AM   #1
Machineguntony

Any ever seen or used a Machine Pistol?

Has anyone here ever seen a fully transferrable registered MG pistol up close and in person? How are these to shoot?
Old May 23, 2015, 11:21 AM   #2
4thPoint

There is a range about an hour from me that has full auto guns for rent that I've made use of a few times.

And there was 'familiarization' while I was going through a qualification course for a special group where we were introduced to AK's, a STEN, a Sterling, an MP5 and a PPsH(?).

They were all impressive bullet hoses, great for house-to-house sorts of things, but I wouldn't want one in the open countryside.

I've also seen three full auto guns that were missed in the "Great Registration" where the owners now have to keep secret their ownership of inanimate bits of metal, wood and plastic. And a few modern weapons that are mere moments away from being full auto but yet seem to have the ATF's blessing.
Old May 23, 2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Rondog

I've fired an MP5. It was fun, but I've had farts that lasted longer than that magazine of ammo. Pretty useless IMO.
Old May 23, 2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Tony, ive got a little bit of time on a Glock 18, but i dont think there are any transferable ones.

Maybe a Scorpion that came in pre GCA
Old May 23, 2015, 04:25 PM   #5
skizzums

apparently they are only 425!!!!
http://www.gunsamerica.com/953265744...tic-Pistol.htm

your allowed to own a sample if your a class III seller, they can only be sold to LE,MIL

MSRP:532$
Old May 23, 2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Machineguntony

Rondog, You are right in that the MP5 is quite useless. You can't hunt deer with it, you can't bake a cake with it, it never gets hot enough to cook bacon on the barrel, and you sure as hell can't conceal carry it.

But the MP5 isn't really a machine pistol, and the SP89 isn't really a true pistol.

How did you like the Glock 18?

I hear there are Baretta 93s and S&W that were registered before the cut off.
Old May 23, 2015, 09:21 PM   #7
Sharkbite

A Beretta 93R would be pretty cool

As for the MP5 comment...the British SAS, various US counter terror forces and countless Police SWAT teams ran MP5's for decades.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:24 PM   #8
colbad

Glock 18. Was fun but went through ammo pretty fast. Really did not see the value other than the novelty factor.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:33 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

point of order:

MP = Maschine Pistole

is the German term for a submachine gun. Literally a Machine Pistol.

The MP5 is most certainly a machine pistol.

By the makers definition.
Old May 25, 2015, 09:16 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I assume that the OP means a full auto pistol, not a submachinegun. I have fired several machine pistols including a Mauser Schnellfeurer, a Star, a couple of Spanish copies of the Schnellfeurer, and an M1911A1 converted to full auto fire. All except the Star had shoulder stocks.

None of them were worth a darn, nor were any of the shoulder stocked semi-auto pistols I have fired, though the Mauser type, thanks to the long barrel and long stock, has the best chance of reasonable accuracy and control.

IMHO, it is possible to train enough to use a light SMG effectively in full auto at short range, but the full auto pistols simply cannot be controlled to make any effective use of any shot after the first.

Jim
Old May 25, 2015, 10:17 PM   #11
burrhead

I 1989 I worked on the set of Robo Cop II and the title character's gun was a heavily modified Beretta 93. The gun wrangler also had a stock 93 for back-up which I handled but didn't shoot. It looked basically like a 92 with a folding fore-grip on the dust cover.

Robo Cop's handgun: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:BerettaAuto9.jpg

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old May 26, 2015, 03:53 PM   #12
Machineguntony

I would love to get my hands on a Baretta 93. I hear that there are six in the registry.

James, what if the load was very light? I saw a YouTube video where a guy fires a machine pistol with two hands and does a mag dump.

Last edited by Machineguntony; May 26, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old May 26, 2015, 04:07 PM   #13
Sharkbite

WOW....a whole 6 of them!!!

Talk about supply and demand. What others have you found that are transferable?
Old May 26, 2015, 04:13 PM   #14
Machineguntony

Yea. A whole 6. And I have no idea as to the price if they were to come into the market. Sooner or later one has to come into the market. All of us NFA owners are just temporary placeholders for future generations. Please do not abuse your guns!

I also heard there are a number of S&W 59s that were put into the registry right before the May cutoff.

Now that I have my dream gun, I need another dream gun.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:21 AM   #15
Gunfixr

Got to shoot a glock 18 in smyrna, but i dont think there are any transferrable ones around.
Its not nearly as bad as i thought it would be, more controllable than expected. It did have the ported barrel.
Next closest would be a transferrable mac 12 in 380. A fun little gun that goes through ammo at an unbelievable rate.
Several hours from here there used to be on display at a truck stop a beretta 93r and a mauser c96 schnellfeur (sp?) pistol, both privately owned by the truck stop owner, so must have been transferrable. A bunch of guns on display, many cool firearms. Doesnt fit your op, but an ar 180 full auto was also on display.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:38 AM   #16
gyvel

Decades ago in Miami, I worked briefly with an ex Argentine Army armorer who had converted an FM (not FN)) Hi-Power to FA. It was interesting to shoot, but it was a Rosario made gun with no slot for a shoulder stock which would have actually made it useful. It wasn't very controllable, to be honest.

It was done with a drop in deal that was apparently devised by the Argentines, so no permanent mods were made to the pistol.

It was a simple device to make and fit, but I have never done it since I own legit NFA stuff and don't want any "troubles."
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; May 27, 2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old May 27, 2015, 09:17 AM   #17
Gunfixr

Weve talked about making our own glock 18, just to play with, but never have. Ammo got tough the first time about when we were talking about it, plus, we were wanting a cheap used gun to come in to do it with, since "once a machinegun, always a machinegun".
However, there are other internal differences. The slide is a bit heavier, and the rails sit higher up inside than a standard 17.
Which kind of sucks for glock, since they have a g18 in smyrna with a cracked slide, and atf wont let them import parts, only whole guns, so they so far had been unable to fix it.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:36 AM   #18
Gunplummer

Does the MAC-11 qualify as a pistol? They are really fast and still controlable.
Old May 27, 2015, 08:05 PM   #19
Willie Lowman

I shot a Micro Uzi once. It's a pistol with a stock and a stupid fast ROF.

Honestly I didn't care for it.
Old May 27, 2015, 08:22 PM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Machineguntony,

Obviously lighter loads would mean less recoil but probably would increase failure rates. None of the shooting I did was with other than factory ammo, though I cannot now recall the brand(s). Note that none of the "machine pistols" had a foregrip or foreend.

Gunfixr, unless you have the paperwork, making a machinegun "just to play with it" ain't worth it today; BATFE won't play and a trip to Club Fed isn't fun. FWIW, all the guns I fired were legally owned, though I did not own them. I have owned machineguns and shoulder stocked semi-auto pistols, but no "machine pistols."

Jim
Old May 28, 2015, 10:40 AM   #21
Deja vu

I shot a fully auto 1911 that belonged to a FFL about 11 years ago. It was great other than it ran dry in like .25 seconds.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old May 28, 2015, 11:05 PM   #22
Gunfixr

James k, we are an 07/sot.
We can make all the machineguns we want, they just arent transferrable.
Look up gunfixr select fire saiga on youtube some time. We did a select fire s12 for an 01/sot ffl a few years ago.
Yes, he had a demo letter.
Old May 29, 2015, 09:09 AM   #23
603Country

When I was a kid, my distant relative was the sheriff of our parish in Louisiana. He had a collection of weapons that he had taken off of various wrongdoers, and he had weapons that he used as needed. I was allowed to handle them, but not to shoot them. Among the various things I got to 'play' with were a WWII Grease Gun and a German assault rifle that I believe was an MP38 or MP40.