The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1
rebs

how do you lube your cases ?

Does anyone use Hornady One Shot ? Do you tumble after sizing to get the lube off the case ?
I am looking for an easier way other than rolling on an RCBS lube pad. I end up with lube all over my hands etc..
Old September 10, 2012, 08:24 AM   #2
jimkim

I use Bag Balm. I smear a little(very little) bit in a ziplock bag, toss the brass in and roll it around with my fingers. I dump the brass out on some news paper or in a re-purposed butter bowl. Sometimes I tumble the brass after I size and sometimes I just wipe it off. It depends on how many cases it is.

If you want, you can reuse the baggy by tossing the brass in and spritzing it with something that will re-liquify the lube. In the past I would hit it with a little bit of PAM before tossing the brass in.

Bag Balm has worked better for me than the commercial lubes I've used. I've never stuck a case with it. I can't say the same for RCBS, Lee, or Imperial.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:53 AM   #3
jimbob86

In most cases, I don't (carbide pistol dies) ..... or use ground mica (Collet Neck sizing dies).

For what little full length sizing I do, I use diluted Lee resizing lube..... it works, and a little goes a long way.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:57 AM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
how do you lube your cases ?
On those very few occasions anymore that I don't have a carbide die for what I need, I spritz a bit of RCBS' spray case lube into a baggie, and tumble the cases to be lubed in that. Seems to work OK.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 10, 2012, 09:10 AM   #5
mohr308

I use One shot, I full length resize for my AR
Old September 10, 2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Bart B.

With bottleneck cases, I've got the smallest sized case headspace spread tumbling cleaned brass in a foam lined coffee can with a few drops of lube on it then put it on a Thumbler's Tumbler for about 10 minutes. I use Hoppe's No. 9 with STP engine oil treatment mixed 40-60.

Compared to several spray and roll-on-a-lube-pad methods I've tried, these are not as good as the above method.
Old September 10, 2012, 10:06 AM   #7
totaldla

Ideal water-based wire pulling lube. Dries without mess.

or

Hornady One-Shot. Ditto.

Neither leave anything once they are dry.
Old September 10, 2012, 10:37 AM   #8
wogpotter

I like the dillon pump spray lube or the Midway, which is probably the same thing. AS for removal I just do a final wipe down & inspecxtion with paper towels when done.

There are 2 "Hornady One-Shot" case lubes, don't mix them up, BTW one in the aerosol is great the other "green" one in the pump spray is worthless. Hornady themselves (the call center tech rep) admit this.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 10, 2012, 11:16 AM   #9
serf 'rett

Imperial - applied to pistol brass, with fingers, during sizing operation.
Old September 10, 2012, 11:29 AM   #10
jcwit

Imperial sizing wax/paste/or whatever you wish to call it for bottlenect rifle brass. I then run the cases thru a quick bath of gas to remove the Imperial, then tunble AFTER the gas evaporates.

For pistol cases using a carbide die, I spray them lightly with Blaster Teflon spray, resize then tumble. I know there is no need to lube pistol cases but doing so makes life easier. And I'm all for easy.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:26 PM   #11
BigJimP

I use the Dillon spray lube...( and I use it on all cases ...even with carbide dies because it makes the press run a lot smoother ).

I use a "box top" ... that is about 3" deep ....and 11" X 17" ( like the top of the box that comes off a case of office copy paper )....and I dump 5 or 6 handfulls of cleaned cases into the box lid...make sure they are all flat. Then I "spritz" them with the lube....roll them around ...and spritz them a 2nd time ...( not too heavy ) ....

and let them dry for about 20 min ....and then just run them thru the press.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:34 PM   #12
Wyoredman

I use the Hornady One Shot lube, because I can't get the Midway spary lube anymore.

i have noticed that it takes quite a bit more One Shot to get my case nice and slick.

I like the spay lubes because they are easy to apply to a full loading block of cases. No need to lube the individual case, just spray all four sideds of the loading block and in 10 seconds, 50 cases are lubed.
Old September 10, 2012, 01:16 PM   #13
math teacher

I have found that too much One Shot causes dents like overdoing RCBS lube. Until this forum I had never heard of using Bagbalm. It works great on baby butts. I will have to give it a try. Cheap too!
Old September 10, 2012, 02:02 PM   #14
rebs

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it. I think I am going to give the Dillon a try
Old September 10, 2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Edward429451

Imperial is the best off the shelf stuff I have ever used. I've never stuck a case with it and my sizing has included 308's, 30/06, and 45/70's. I have a supply of Bullshots lube from castboolits and I did a side by side with it and Imperial with a lot of 45/70 cases and Imperial came in second for sizing effort!
Old September 10, 2012, 05:45 PM   #16
KenL

I use Hornaday One Shot, and wipe it off after sizing. No issues with it.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:12 PM   #17
hooligan1

what's wrong with lube on your hand? ever had any stuck cases? thats what paper towels are for,,, keep using that RCBS case lube and pad. no stuck cases. yes tumble after sizing.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:37 PM   #18
tobnpr

When I started reloading two years ago, I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to roll every case individually on a pad, when I could spend ten seconds with a spray can (One Shot)...and I still can't...

Never a stuck case...just be sure to spray at a 45 degree angle to make sure you get enough in the necks.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:24 PM   #19
rebs

Quote:
what's wrong with lube on your hand? ever had any stuck cases? thats what paper towels are for,,, keep using that RCBS case lube and pad. no stuck cases. yes tumble after sizing.
I have to say I never had a stuck case with the rcbs lube pad, however it gets all over my hands and on the press handle and everything else that I touch, just kind of messy
Old September 10, 2012, 09:04 PM   #20
Sport45

Toss that junky RCBS lube pad and get a Lyman lube pad like mine. You won't believe the difference.

Just kidding. of course. When I'm reloading a large batch I'll roll 5 or 6 at a time across the pad and drop them in the next container. I do wind up with some lube on my fingers, but that's not a problem since the next step involves picking up lubed cases anyway to run them through the sizing die.

If I'm only loading a few I use Kiwi Mink Oil boot polish.

So far, I've only stuck one .223 case and it was my fault. I tried to size it a second time without re-lubing. I think that was using the Lyman case lube, but I don't remember that for sure.

If you're getting a lot of lube on your hands you may be putting too much on the pad. I'll add lube to my pad when I'm done with it so that it will all be soaked in for the next time I need it. I don't apply lube to the pad just before rolling cases on it. The surface shouldn't appear wet.

Last edited by Sport45; September 11, 2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: fixed some of the spelling errors
Old September 10, 2012, 09:31 PM   #21
William T. Watts

RCBS case lube, always have always will, plus side I've never stuck a case either. I agree it's messy, soap and water makes for easy clean ups.. William
Old September 10, 2012, 09:32 PM   #22
jdillon

I use both One Shot and DCL when sizing bottleneck cases. A little bit goes a long way. Place the brass in an old 12" teflon skillet, apply spray and shake the skillet to disperse the lube. When I started reloading mary years ago, I used the RCBS pad and it works fine but has a tendency to over lubricate the cases resulting in shoulder dents. When using spray lubes, wait about five minutes before running through the press. I always tumble my rifle brass after sizing. In addition, I lubricate straight wall cases when running through my 550B since sizing is easier.

BTW if you don't like getting lube all over your fingers get a box of nitrile gloves and wear them during the messy stages of reloading.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:46 PM   #23
4runnerman

RCBS case also. Line up 8 to 10 cases in a row,roll and ready to go. Tumble when done again and load.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:25 PM   #24
oldpapps

I lub with what ever I find first, RCBS or Lee's or what ever that other one is. Yes, one finger and thumb gets slick. Big deal.

I like to tumble (in water with steel pins and some cleaner) after the sizing operation. I have found that in some/most cases the sizing will break a scale of carbon free from the inside of the brass cases. My wash cleans them up inside and out.

Oh, with carbide dies, I will use a very little lub. They are going to get cleaned again anyway.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old September 11, 2012, 06:30 PM   #25
5R milspec

mink oil shoe polish cheap and bigger can for the money