The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2012, 02:58 AM   #1
jrhd437

FNP 40, M&P, SP2022 et al...

Hey guys, been a long time reader but finally got around to registering. Here's my situation.

I have a few sub-compacts for concealed carry. In about 4 weeks I plan to purchase a COMBAT pistol; by which I mean an ultra-reliable, 4" handgun that is accurate and .40 S&W. Light CC and Open Carry.

I am not interested in a manual safety, and while price isn't a huge concern, if a gun of same quality can be had for less money, that's a plus.

Currently looking at:
- FNP .40
- SigSauer SP2022 .40
- M&P .40

I do have medium sized hands. I'm familiar with all handgun platforms and slightly prefer DA/SA to striker.

OK guys, I'm open to suggestions.
Old July 8, 2012, 03:13 AM   #2
AndyWest

You may consider adding Springfield XDm to your list. It's striker-fired but you might like the 3.8" 40 compact which has 11 rounds in the mag, plus the option for a larger 16-round grip-extended magazine. Comes with different backstraps for different sized hands.
Old July 8, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I'm familiar with all handgun platforms and slightly prefer DA/SA to striker
If you prefer DA/SA, it's tough to beat the FNPs for the money. That's the route I'd go if looking for a DA/SA gun. Of course, SIGs, Beretta, HK, CZ, ect... all make great guns too, but for the $ you'll shell out you'll get the most bang for your buck with the FNPs in my opinion.
Old July 8, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
jrhd437

Thanks Guys...

Plouffe, I was actually leaning toward the FNP, if nothing else for its more splendor design than the SP2022. I'd have big hands if my fingers weren't so stubby. really appreciate the input.

As for the XD(m), a buddy of mine has one and they are VERY nice - but I'm not convinced (other than the trigger) that it's any better than the M&P. And of course it costs more. Certainly I gun I've stared at a few times. Thanks for the response sir.

More input is certainly welcome and appreciated!

Last edited by jrhd437; July 8, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old July 8, 2012, 09:19 AM   #5
jrs212

You might take a look at the Baby Eagle series. I have a Jericho 941 in .40 S&W that I got before they became the Baby Eagles. They are made by the Israeli Weapon Industry (IWI) da/sa, 12 + 1, decocker, and very ergonomical. Very accurate.
Old July 8, 2012, 09:46 AM   #6
sigarms228

Try them out if at all possible and then get what works best for you. Those 3 are all well respected pistols.

From your list I would choose the SP2022 as I already own one in 9MM and have been ecstatic with it.

Howerver my all time favorite .40 is easily the SIG P229. There usually are some really nice CPO, Certified Pre Owned, ones available in your price range or lightly used ones. That is how I got mine as a CPO.

http://www.patelsrepair.com/D/catalog/54
Old July 8, 2012, 11:02 AM   #7
jasmith85

I have owned both the M&P and SP2022 and they are both great guns. I preferred the SP2022 mostly because I prefer SA/DA, but the M&P has the advantage when it comes to aftermarket parts and accessories. I have never owned a FNP so I can't say anything about the quality but I will say I dislike the current price. About a year ago I looked into buying an FNP40 and cheaper than dirt had them for just under $400. Now for some magical reason the guns are $550. I'm guessing its because that is around what the FNX goes for and people are jacking up the prices to basically rip people off by selling the old model at the new price. That said, I think FN is a great company and would love to have an FNX but I wouldn't buy an FNP unless I found a new one for $400 like they were previously priced.
Old July 8, 2012, 11:19 AM   #8
carguychris

Since you expressed a preference for DA/SA, I feel obligated to give my usual recommendation to look at a 3rd-gen S&W Traditional Double Action ("TDA") pistol.

The basic full-size .40S&W models were the Model 4006 (SS frame and slide; generally the most common), M4003 (SS slide, silver-colored alloy frame), and M4004 (matte bead blast blue slide, black alloy frame). The equivalent DAO models had 404x model numbers, the "x" indicating the same frame and slide finish as the pistol's DA/SA counterpart; S&W also produced pistols with a SIG-style frame decocker indicated by a 402x model number, but IIRC only the M4026 was actually built. The M411 and M410 were "Value Series" versions of the M4004 with less refined slide machining, no RH-side ambi decocker/safety, and plastic guide rods and sights.

These guns are very comparable to SIGs in quality and general configuration, but resale prices are much lower, and used LE surplus mags are available for a song; IIRC CDNN recently advertised them for only $10/ea! The common 400x-series pistols have a manual decocker/safety, but they also have a positive drop-safe trigger-actuated firing pin block, so many users- including this one- carry in DA/safety-off mode and use the safety lever solely as a decocker.

Downsides? They're discontinued, they're relatively big and heavy, and capacity of the .40S&W models is smaller than many newer competitors (11+1).

More thoughts here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479355
Old July 8, 2012, 11:46 AM   #9
TheGoldenState

M&P .40

Far and away.

Shoot it one time.
Old July 9, 2012, 06:19 AM   #10
jrhd437

well...

I chiefly want to express my gratitude for all the helpful feedback. I really appreciate it!

You guys have convinced me to go attempt to rent these this coming weekend. I didn't know the FNs had gone up so sharply.

I think ill focus my renting time on SP2022, M&P and maybe even the P250 (at the advice of a cop-friend).

Ill be sure to come back and let everybody know.

Side note, I'm buying a Taurus 85 this weekend. If your looking a for budget revolver they are best in price, IMO.

-JRHD438
Old July 9, 2012, 06:30 AM   #11
shuler13

I'm rooting for the 2022.

Shot one and loved it. Shot as well as my P226. More accurate than my M&P in my hands YRMV (also medium hands) and I like the hammer over striker fired.

Not too long ago one could be had for $350.
Old July 9, 2012, 06:54 AM   #12
insomni

FNP-40 is what the Sig 250 SHOULD have been. You can probably find one for 400-450.
I bought mine this past winter for $415 with a case, 2hi cap mags, and 3 10rounders.
Since then i've added tritium sights and bought 2more hi cap mags.a grand total of $100 (including smithing fees for the sights).

Point of tbe story: 1. It is a fantastic pistol. it feels solid, feels great in my hand, the cobtrolls are easy. It is quite accurate out of the box, andhas the requisite backstraps. Also, there isnt much different between ot and the FNX (fnx being the reason the FNP's are so cheap). It being less popular, you aren't going to find too many accessories for it, but if you look, they're cheap! My Trijicon tritium sights were 46bucks online. if you're looking for all the barbie doodads, get a glock. If you want a serious utility pistol for not much money, get the fnp.

Or the m&p. Also a great gun. Was my runner up. Price won at the end of the day though. I love that pistol. Real nice groups, very comfortable in the hand. Didn't care too much for the trigger, but if I were to buy another pistol, i'd choose an m&p in a second.

XD is nice, but it really doesnt do anything the FN or S&W don't. Also, I have a bone to pick with Springfield Armory, and how they're constantly reminding you that they're the oldest manufacturer in the US, but they make the XD in Croatia. Glock and Sig are both foreign, but they're straight foreward with where their guns are made, Sig even has a plant in New Hamshire, S&W makes theirs in Massachusetts, even FN brought jobs to the US from Belgium and makes the FNP line in South Carolina. Oh, but Springfield Armory is the oldest gunmaker in America....
Old July 9, 2012, 10:35 PM   #13
RC20

I do not know how the SP2022 is in .40, but in 9mm its terrific.

I have had it side by side with an HK P30, and frankly its a tossup as to which is best. Some things about the HK are a bit better (grip) but all features are good to very good and the Sigs grip is good, HK is very good.

Sig does come with the small and medium grip and I have a similar hand and the medium works well (may try a large sometime, doesn't cost much)

I played with it a lot and decided the Sig I needed to choke up on the grip. Latter on reading M Abood I found that was right. I am more used to th 1911 grip so its a bit different but easy to shift.

On the other hand the DA trigger on the Sig is better as is the de-cock.

HK trigger is a tad crisper, but has more reset (there is an after market trigger for the Sig that suits some fingers better)

So, the Sig double stacks up against a much higher priced gun (and a fine one at that, I do like the P30).

FN, just seemed to light, but again there is a feel preference factor.

On the other hand I have trialed the MPs, ungh. Only good thing is the sight. Some people really like them which puzzles me, I can only accept it suits them.
Old July 30, 2012, 08:02 PM   #14
jrhd437

well...

Well folks, I haven't been able to shoot many of these guns because no body rents them. As for the FNP - can't find ANY. It's FNS and FNX everywhere (both of which have manual safeties ).

I did get to hold the others. Here's what I've noticed (on the particular gun sampled):

SP2022 - nice, it oozes quality manufacturing and quality everywhere. What I did not like was the de-cocker. It is completely mush until the end when it firms up and clicks off. Take down is kinda goofy.

M&P - quality feel, but the grip is odd. I mean, it has the right angle, but it just feels awkward (with medium grip). It comes with two mags and three grips. Good for an extra $100.

P250 - oozes quality too. The grip (medium) was absolutely awesome in my hand. The trigger pull is smooth, but it is long and I could see where it would slow rapid fire in a tactical situation. It comes with one magazine, and grips and mags are $50 each. Expensive gun in the long run. Did fit my hand best though.

I also looked at Glock, but I don't want to have to buy a $150 barrel to shoot reloads.

Anyway, that's the update I promised, and ill do another when I "pull the trigger" and make a purchase.

Thanks again guys!
Old July 30, 2012, 08:27 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
In about 4 weeks I plan to purchase a COMBAT pistol
If I'm in COMBAT with a pistol, something went terribly wrong...

While I get your point, there are so many guns on the market these days that have awesome reliability. All the ones you listed are fine weapons that will likely be more reliable and last longer than you could ever need. I've owned pretty much every current service model on the market. All went boom. You're more hard pressed to find a bad one.

Quote:
It's FNS and FNX everywhere (both of which have manual safeties ).
It's a combo safety and decocker. Just don't use the safety. Same design has worked on HKs for years/decades...

Quote:
SP2022 - Take down is kinda goofy.
That was the standard takedown practice for semiautos for decades, and still is for many fine firearms.

Quote:
P250 - oozes quality too.
Never heard anyone say a P250 oozes quality. It's certainly a unique concept and I give SIG credit for the idea. But a DAO semi-auto pistol is, IMO, a solution in search of a problem.

Quote:
The trigger pull is smooth, but it is long and I could see where it would slow rapid fire in a tactical situation.
Agree it is a smooth DA. But again I don't see the need. If I wanted DAO I would go a striker fired safe-action pistol similar to the M&P. As for the "tactical" situations. Revolvers were the mainstay of police forces for decades. Somehow the officers made due. Then again I am not sure if they had "tactical" situations back then.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, honestly. But when I read comments like the ones I highlighted I think of myself when I started shooting. I was very naive and if I can save someone the trouble I went through I will try to. As for which one, personally I'd go with the SP2022 or FNP. Maybe a slight edge to the SP2022 simply because the FNP is no longer in current production.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 30, 2012, 08:32 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
Oh, but Springfield Armory is the oldest gunmaker in America....
Haha, no. The Springfield Armory location is probably the oldest original armory in the United States. It's now a museum (not a bad tour btw). Springfield Armory the company is not the same thing. From what I remember they bought the rights to the name. But their history (established in 1974) is nothing next to the original.
Old July 30, 2012, 08:53 PM   #17
insomni

oh, yah, sorry that was just meant to be kinda snide. I know they're just a name these days. For some reason I've heard alot of people lately bring up. I roll my eyes.
Old July 31, 2012, 12:59 PM   #18
jrhd437

uh...

Tunnel rat, thanks...

M&P isn't a true double action, but I agree with your assessment. The m&p just didn't fit well.

When I said combat I meant it. I want a gun that will serve a purpose in a situation that is without rule of law. Some pretend it doesn't happen - but I've lived in it, and even though people are generally nice, police do not always come. In my situation there was lots of mud and dust and sweat, so I want something that's reliable.

I realize most guns by reputable makers are reliable. I said I'd update so I gave my two cents.
Old July 31, 2012, 01:02 PM   #19
jrhd437

Had your prunes today? Seem kinda tense. : )
Old August 1, 2012, 08:27 AM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
When I said combat I meant it. I want a gun that will serve a purpose in a situation that is without rule of law. Some pretend it doesn't happen - but I've lived in it, and even though people are generally nice, police do not always come. In my situation there was lots of mud and dust and sweat, so I want something that's reliable.
Oh, one of those people. Got ya.

Then again I'd reiterate the fact that a shotgun or rifle in a true "WROL" situation is a better choice.

Any gun will fail with enough mud and dust in it. You want something really bomb proof? Find a used HK USP.
Old August 1, 2012, 07:57 PM   #21
jrhd437

Yep, gun-owning, rational prepping, voluntaryist here. ; )

Well sir, you made me chuckle. Thank ya.
Old August 1, 2012, 07:59 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
Well sir, you made me chuckle. Thank ya.
Ditto.

Tags
fnp , m&p , sp2022