The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 30, 1998, 08:03 AM   #1
SUSAN S

I want to buy my significant other a SURE-FIRE CombatLight for Christmas. Any advice on whether the 6Z or the 9Z is better? Also, please remind me when you would use the red and/or blue filters. (I should know this...) Any hints on where to get the best deal would also be appreciated. Thanks.
Old November 30, 1998, 11:50 AM   #2
Mike in VA

The 6Z is a two cell light, the 9Z is a 3 cell ( a bit bigger, provides longer operating time). If your SO is a LEO, I'd go with the 9Z, as he'll likely use it more and the add'l battery would be worth while, for home defense, the 6Z is fine and perhahps easier to handle, IMHO. I've seen pretty good prices at Cheaper Than Dirt [http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/]. The red filter is to use for stuff like map reading in the dark to preserve your night vision, I'll admit to being clueless about the blue filter. Have a happy, M2
Old November 30, 1998, 08:38 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Susan-
For my money, the 9Z is a bit of overkill. I don't find the extra battery life or brightness(?) to be a factor in my civilian role. However, the extra size is just enough to keep me from carrying it as often as the 6Z.

The 3P also makes a great stocking stuffer. While it doesn't qualify as a "tactical" or "combat" light, it's cheap enough to leave permanently on the bedside table.

Turning to filters and diffusers, it's already been pointed out that red preserves night vision, while blue is useful for spotting blood. I've used the blue in airplane cockpits, as much of our aeronautical charts are in red and red light obscures it. If you go with a filter, I'd suggest the red. I own one for use at the campsite.

Given the tactical advantage of that bright white light, I side with Walt's comments elsewhere and prefer to keep the attachments in the gear bag. As I don't picture *my* tactical scenarios requiring a prolonged or active search in unfamiliar surroundings; more likely a sit and wait, light 'em up, shoot 'em up.

I'd prefer an acutely directed, bright, white light for this scenario. The wide beam diffuser may be an option and I intend to order one of these to test it.
Hope this helps.
Rich Lucibella

Old November 30, 1998, 11:50 PM   #4
Dale Rabideau

Susan,

I would suggest checking out Lagger Professional Services at http://www.lagger-pro.com
for a good price. I think the 6Z is around $59 with free shipping. Wayne is also offering two free D123A batteries in addition to the two that come with the light as a Christmas special. The batteries go for about $4 each at LPS. I found them for $8 each in the supermarket.

I would also suggest a Z32 shock resistant bezel for ~$17. A spare light assembly costs about the same price as the Z32 and the assembly will break if light is dropped on something hard.
Old December 4, 1998, 07:48 AM   #5
SUSAN S

Thanks much for the good info! My SO will be happy... How did Santa know?? (Must be a gun guy.)
Old December 4, 1998, 12:44 PM   #6
Bryan Whited

Look at www.botach.com
They have the 6P for $40.00
Old December 4, 1998, 05:27 PM   #7
Dale Rabideau

Yea, botach for $40 plus a minimum of $20 or $25 for shipping.

I have only dealt with LPS. I bought my 6Z with a Z32. I had some problems with intermitant lighting. I sent Wayne an email. He called me back and then brought in a SureFire tech via three-way phone call to help me with the problem. Turns out, it is a known problem that is easily fixed. Wayne states that his service will distinguish him from the others. He even offered to send me free an overnight mail container to send my 6Z to SureFire if I have additional problems. Wayne has my future business. Good service is worth more than the few dollars difference between most distributors.

[This message has been edited by Dale Rabideau (edited 12-04-98).]
Old December 4, 1998, 06:23 PM   #8
Rob Pincus

I had a 6p for a number of years and then I lost it.
Thanks to the first TFL contest I now have a 6Z and think it is a great improvement. A buddy of mine has a 9P and never takes it off his duty belt. I think the 2 cell sizes are much more suited to daily and plain clothes use.

Either way that is a great gift choice!

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 4, 1998, 08:09 PM   #9
Bryan Whited

Sounds like you may have had a problem with Botach. I've never delt with them but noticed their good pricing. Shipping of $20 to $25 is unreal.
Old December 4, 1998, 08:53 PM   #10
PCurrent

About the filters:
I was told by my Psg. that the red lens retains the eye's night vision better, but a night vision scope will see it miles away. The blue lens is less likely to be seen by an enemy with a night vision devise. For what it's worth, our SOP calls for red lenses in flash lights.
Old December 5, 1998, 01:34 AM   #11
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Pcurrent, that's a bit different from what I learned when I was in.

We learned that Red is better for preserving night vision, although your color ability is almost nil in it.

Blue, while allowing some color, has a tendency to "disappear" when you are looking at it at night. Now you see it, now you don't. Unfortunately, with NVG's, you'll see both from quite a ways away.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
http://www.bladeforums.com
Old December 5, 1998, 10:29 PM   #12

PCurrent,

Spark is dead on with his comment that the color doesn't make diddly difference to an NVD. Both the red and blue lensed lights are primarily radiating in the visible spectrum, & the gallium arsenide photomultipliers in the NVDs aren't selective about the color of the light, just that it's there. That is why "invisible" laser designators, which emit at wavelengths outside the visible spectrum of the human eye, can be used for targeting with NVDs.

Any emitter is a target. Remember the old smokers' saw from the Boer War: Third man on a match is the dead man (1st Face = locate, 2nd Face = aim, 3rd Face = splatter).

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited 12-05-98).]
Old December 6, 1998, 12:54 AM   #13
dome

Susan, you probably do like most of us; get one of each. You might check Shomer-Tec in Bellingham, WA for prices.
I own two of the Sure-lights@, a 9Z by the bed and a 6Z that I carry at all times. Ask for their catalogue, they don't take plastic but honor all checks immediately.