The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2001, 03:47 PM   #1
Greg G

We have had discussions here over pistol grip vs regular buttstock, etc., in this case I want to tell you guys what I have and you tell me if its a legal configuration. In 1997 I purchased a new "Model 870 Express Synthetic HD" on which the dealer installed an after market mag. extention tube. The gun had a regular buttstock on it and a 18.5" barrel. I'm not sure how many extra rounds it holds with the extension but the extention extends out to about a half inch shorter than the barrel.

A while back I got the bright idea that I would like to have a Remington factory pistol grip and top folding metal stock for it so I ordered one and installed it. I had browsed the 94 Crime Bill before and thought I was ok because it is a pump. I have been reading things lately that make me think that putting that folding stock on the gun was illegal because it didn't come that way but anyone could have configured it that way and then sold it to me so I need some advice from those of you who are in the know. Can I keep it the way it is or do I have to get rid of one of the add-on items?
Old January 19, 2001, 04:46 PM   #2
DML

As long as the barrel is over 18" long and the overall length is over 26" you are legal as far as the BATF is concerned. Depending where you are, there may be some local restrictions, but usually, they don't apply to pump guns.
Old January 19, 2001, 05:31 PM   #3
Kharn

Its not semiauto, so the '94 assault weapons ban does not affect your 870. Have fun with those evil features.

Kharn
Old January 19, 2001, 05:36 PM   #4
ModIMark0

In regard to overall length and folding stocks, does BATF classify overall length of a shotgun when the folding or collapsible stock is fully extended or fully unfolded, and not when it is unfolded or collapsed? I'm fairly sure that they do, just not absolutely sure.
Old January 19, 2001, 05:54 PM   #5
DML

In this case it doesn't matter. The 870 with an 18" barrel measured from the muzzle to the rear of the receiver is a tad over 25" long. Every pistol grip or folding stock adds at least 2.5" to that so you will be legal whether the stock is folded or not.

If your barrel is under 18" long it doesn't matter what the overall length is, it will be considered a shot barreled shotgun and will be illegal without a special permit.
Old January 19, 2001, 06:27 PM   #6
Greg G

Thanks DML and Kharn, I thought it was ok but I needed to be sure. I'm in Texas so I don't think there are any local restrictions. I'll keep the evil features.