The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 09:16 AM   #26
AID_Admin

Oh, no, I don't mean do buy a Nagant instead of a good current production revolver. I meant to buy it as a secondary gun, like a said above "fun gun" to have around. As far as ammo goes I did some searching last night and found current production ammo at $20-some per box of 50. It is not cheap, but isn't it close to what decent .38 Special costs nowadays? I also saw surplus ammo from Russia for significantly less, but everyone was sold out...
Old April 4, 2013, 09:32 AM   #27
Iron Man

Don't forget the dependable "J" frame. My wife and I both carry one. Five shot .38 special +P. Ultra light weight. They are relatively inexpensive as well.

Old April 4, 2013, 09:52 AM   #28
pete2

I love revolvers, especially S&W. Th 686 for shooting, one of the K frames for carry and shooting. A model 19 or a model 15 is great for shooting or carry. The added weight of the L frame controls recoil a little better. The Rugers are very good guns but I prefer the action of the S&W over the Ruger. The J frame guns are good also but they are for experts not beginners.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:28 AM   #29
DPris
Member Emeritus

AID,
The way you had it written I took your post to mean a Nagant INSTEAD of.
As a piece of history, they're interesting, but not in place of a better gun.
The "civilian" stuff is typically watered down & the Russian stuff will be dwindling, as I said. In both, the full metal jacket is not the most effective bullet type for defense.
The civilian ammunition can be hard to find, too.
If you want one as a toy, by all means go for it.
Denis
Old April 4, 2013, 10:34 AM   #30
AID_Admin

Denis, there comes my "English as a second language" problem. I definitely did not mean for Nagant to be a replacement for a new, contemporary revolver. I just saw them for sale and was surprised how cheap they were. For this price I can just have it...

I completely understand this is not the best option for self defense. Not only the bullet size is less than optimal, but also reloading this gun would take more time than it will take a burglar to collect all my belongings

While we are on the subject, do you know any place that actually sells (and have in stock) a surplus ammo? I could not find any online. Thanks.
Old April 4, 2013, 11:09 AM   #31
DPris
Member Emeritus

Ammoman.com when they can get it.
I got some surplus for my Nagants from J&G Sales a year or so ago.

Everything's hard to find now, just keep looking.
Denis
Old April 6, 2013, 11:40 PM   #32
ranchito457

Have you called mega sports in plain-field.I live in the chicago area and they always have a huge number of gun to try out!
Old April 7, 2013, 12:36 AM   #33
hchi299

S&W model 60 3 " is an awesome .357 that I love to shoot. Can't go wrong
Old April 7, 2013, 10:25 AM   #34
AID_Admin

Thanks again for more replies! I appreciate choices of different guns you have mentioned.
Separate thank you or letting me know about the range in Plainfield. Even though it's a little too far of a drive for me to go there reguralry, it's definitely worth checking out at least once for the purpose of trying the revolvers.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:30 PM   #35
James K
Member In Memoriam

I recall, years back, a gun dealer telling me to "take it out and try it and if you like it, come in and pay me for it, otherwise bring it back." Paperwork, what paperwork?

Probably not quite legal even then, but hard to even imagine today.

Jim
Old April 7, 2013, 12:53 PM   #36
22-rimfire

Everyone says... try it before you buy it. That is easier said than done for most. I believe you're on the right track on a revolver and I also like the simplicity of shooting a double action revolver.

I geneally recommend that new shooters get a 22LR handgun before they jump to a centerfire caliber or buy at essentially the same time. You can learn a lot about shooting with a lowly 22 and ammunition cost is not significant oveall.

If I were dishing out advice, I would say that you should avoid Taurus revolvers overall. But many are good. I went through the buy cheaper firearms earlier in my life and without exception, I replaced that firearm with a "better" gun later. I eventually sold the cheaper guns at a big loss, but I never shot them again after feeling the difference. So, why keep them?

As a new shooter, it is very hard to determine what is good or great. You have to get some experience. But if you stick to brands like Ruger and S&W, you will generally be fine if the gun is of the size and weight of something that you like.

I also agree that your first few guns should be "new guns". You learn that way.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:47 PM   #37
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have never heard of a gun shop allowing a new gun to be test fired before purchase. If the shop also has a range ("IF"), they may have a rental gun of the same make and model that you can try, but they can't let tire kickers shoot every new gun in stock or they won't have any new guns in stock. If I were buying a new gun, I would be very unhappy if some other customer had tried it out before I saw it.

Used is another matter, but many used guns are on consignment (which means they are not the property of the shop and the shop knows nothing about the mechanical condition). I doubt very much any shop would allow you to test fire a consignment pistol, either.

The best you can do is haunt ranges that rent guns, and try as many rental guns as you can get your hands on.
Old April 9, 2013, 02:27 PM   #38
shafter

I've never been able to try a revolver before buying. I buy based on price, how it feels in my hand, and if it is functionally sound. I've yet to be disappointed.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:15 PM   #39
AID_Admin

I am trying different rental ones now and enjoying the process :-)

Last edited by AID_Admin; April 9, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:32 PM   #40
MrBorland

Quote:
did model 66 ever came with 7 shots cylinder?
No. At least, not that I'm aware.

Quote:
And also does S&W still makes model 66?
S&W stopped making all k-frame .357mags a few years ago

Quote:
Can such a little difference as between these two models really effect an accuracy on the 20 yards range or is it more about individual guns?
Yes and yes. You might find you shoot a K-frame better or worse than an L-frame. Or maybe it's the sights, grips, sight radius or balance of one vs the other. Also, any particular gun may exhibit better accuracy than another, whether it be a K- or L-frame.

BTW, the M66, and it's blued cousin, the M19 are fantastic revolvers. If you like the 66, though, you'll have to buy used.
Old April 9, 2013, 08:41 PM   #41
Bushmaster1313

Before a jury of its pears?

Old April 9, 2013, 09:52 PM   #42
AID_Admin

MrBorland, I am sorry, I removed my last post and made it into separate tread not realizing you are replying to it. Never less thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:51 PM   #43
22-rimfire

Quote:
The best you can do is haunt ranges that rent guns, and try as many rental guns as you can get your hands on.
It is also not cheap to rent guns because they also want you to buy "their" ammunition.

I personally would just pick them up, handle potential purchase candidates, and make a decision. If it is a good brand, even if you decide to sell down the road, you won't be hurt too much.