The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 28, 2009, 01:33 PM   #1
crand16rams

Quick oil question

Just wanted an opinion on this, after using the search function without a lot of luck. I was always taught by my father - retired military - to finish cleaning a gun by putting just a few drops of oil on a patch and running that through the barrel. He never told me anything about running a dry patch through before shooting, and I don't know how that would work on a ccw gun. I've read since then that oil in the barrel should always be removed prior to firing. In that case, on a gun that isn't being stored for a long period of time, a self defense gun that might have to used without time, obviously, to run a clean, dry patch through it, is it better to just clean it and not oil the inside of the barrel at all?

Thanks for any feedback!
Old December 28, 2009, 01:37 PM   #2
wbw

I don't think a very light coat of oil left in the barrel will hurt anything. It is good for a rust deterant. I don't think shooting it is a problem. I don't run a dry patch through mine before I go to the range.
Old December 28, 2009, 02:40 PM   #3
45Gunner

/\/\/\/\/\/\

The key to putting oil in the barrel of a carry gun is to do it ever so lightly.

I clean the barrels of my guns until the dry patch comes out clean. Then I put a patch thru the barrel with just a very small amount and it seems to grab a few more particles of residue. The ultra thin oil helps protect the barrel from moisture such as sweat and prevents corrosion which will not hinder the performance of a gun one iota. If you were talking about drenching the barrel in oil for long time storage, you would have a whole different approach.
NRA Life Member
Old December 28, 2009, 03:07 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

I use a dry film lubricant such as Tetra Gun. After cleaning the barrel I run a wet patch of TG through it, then a dry patch. TG is supposed to leave a thin polymer film that provides both lubrication and rust protection. Never had a problem shooting with this.

With a regular gun oil I would do the same as described above. After complete cleaning, including a clean dry patch, put just a couple of drops of oils on a clean patch and run through the barrel a couple of times.

The other thing is that a CCW piece ought to be cleaned frequently anyway. You shouldn't be planning to leave it uncared for a six month duration.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 2, 2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Straightshooter629

Unless you're planning on storing a gun for an extended period of time, you should only be using a light film of oil. Once I'm done with the cleaning, I'll put just a drop or two on a patch and run it through the bore. It's just enough to guard against rust and won't present a problem when shooting.
Old January 2, 2010, 05:14 PM   #6
PSP

Quote:
I don't think a very light coat of oil left in the barrel will hurt anything. It is good for a rust deterant. I don't think shooting it is a problem. I don't run a dry patch through mine before I go to the range.
Ditto.
Old January 2, 2010, 08:52 PM   #7
KyJim

I like using Eezox. It is a dry lube and one of the best rust preventives on the market. I use it on the exterior of my firearms as well. I use other products to actually lubricate my weapons.
Old January 2, 2010, 08:56 PM   #8
45reloader

Oil the barrel but keep the chamber dry.I use CLP mostly and Hoppes elite.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" T Jeff.
Old January 2, 2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Caboclo

At the risk of contradicting a Senior Member, I think many of the commonly accepted practices are not really necessary. Eg, when I bought my first gun (XD) I didn't know you were supposed to clean the factory oil out of the barrel. I just went to the range and started shooting. Guess what? It didn't blow up. I think all you need is a little common sense; if you stuff the barrel full of cosmoline for long term storage, maybe a little cleaning would be in order. Otherwise, don't worry about it. Personally, I like what I read about the new dry lubes. I'm about to apply some Sentry Solutions to my guns and throw away the Hoppes.
Closed Thread