The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 11, 2008, 02:15 AM   #1
jrtayloriv

Choosing a PTR 91 Scope Mount

I am trying to find a good scope mount for the PTR 91 KF (.308 semi-auto G3 clone from JLD Enterprises) that I bought recently. I had a few questions about this.

I talked to a guy at a local military surplus store earlier, to see if by chance he had any in. He didn't know what I meant by PTR 91 or G3, so I don't know if he has any idea what he's talking about -- but he said I would have to get the receiver drilled to put a scope mount on... this is incorrect right?

Anyhow, everyone seems to be sold out of mounts -- except for these people:

http://www.mfiap.com/smallarms/hk-low-mount.htm

Is that place going to sell me junk? Anyone bought from them and had good/bad results?

I don't want to pay tons of $$$ for the "detachable" claw mount -- which I have heard has a tendency to wobble and get bumped loose anyway ... am I making a mistake here by listening to the internet chatter? Would I be *better* off spending my life's fortune on such a gadget instead of the one I linked to above ...

Any recommendations on how the hell I can get a scope on this thing would be greatly appreciated!

-JT
Old November 11, 2008, 08:10 AM   #2
stubbicatt

I have had exceedingly good results with the claw mounts, whether the one with the rings or the integral scope. The Hensholdt scope is a great value at the price point.

Despite its reputation for getting jarred or bumped (I've never heard this before now) this scope stays right on target.

...Something to keep in mind with any optic, I think, is that they are all susceptible to damage or loss of zero if not properly cared for or protected. If you drop the rifle with the scope attached, or otherwise jar a scope on ANY rifle you are likely to experience issues.

Using my Hensholdt, I can easily pick off clays at 200 meters, and most of the time at 300 meters from prone. The 4x magnification is not huge, but the clarity of the glass makes it fairly easy to see what you are shooting at.

I had the MFI mount. I am pretty sure it is an airsoft setup that can be used on a G3, but mine was easy to jar out of zero, windage wise. The cinching down of the 4 claw mounting pad screws on the MFI is a critical operation, and a little loctite will help. If you snug them down as much as you might want, it has the effect of compressing the stamped receiver, impeding bolt travel. If you cinch them down insufficiently, you will not be happy with the resulting shifts in zero.

Do what you think is best, but in my experience you will be happier with the claw type mount.
Old November 11, 2008, 02:39 PM   #3
jrtayloriv

Thanks for the advice stubbicatt.

Which manufacturer would you recommend for getting a good claw mount? Typing in "hk claw scope mount" keeps giving me a bunch of links to airsoft crap, and after your comment about the MFI scope -- I want to make sure that I don't get ripped off and spend a lot of money on something that doesn't work?

Is there a particular brand that has a better reputation than others?

Also, does the claw mount require a special type of scope?
Old November 11, 2008, 07:49 PM   #4
stubbicatt

A couple of suggestions. I like the Fero Z scope available from Cheaper
Than Dirt, CDNN Investments, and Copes Distributing. They may be available elsewhere too. IIRC, I bought mine from Copes.

The equipment exchange at hkpro dot com sometimes has good values.
Old November 11, 2008, 08:48 PM   #5
AK103K

I've owned a couple of HK91's and an MP5, and used claw mounts on all of them, interchangeably too (the mounts themselves). The only ones I'd trust, are either original HK (or German GI), or the claw mounts made by ARMS.

The ARMS mount is actually the more versatile mount, and better suited to multiple type sight use and scope placement. Its mil spec flat top rail, and will accept anything you can screw or lever onto one. It allows you to mount the scope lower and more forward than the German mounts. You can also mount red dots, or anything else you want. The ARMS mount is also about half of what an HK mount will cost you.

The HK mounts with the fixed rings are limiting in the placement of the scope, and mount the scope to high and to far back. For some reason, the Germans seem to like this set up.

The claw mounts are zero repeatable, and will not come loose under use. You can remove and replace at will, over and over, and you will see little, if any shift in POI.

I've seen other aftermarket mounts, like B Square, that "screwed" to the gun, and caused damage to the receiver. If you go this route, you need to be careful not to get to heavy on the wrenches.

If your going to buy a claw mount, buy from a known, reputable dealer. There are a lot of copies floating around, many of them Airsoft, and they will not work.
Old November 12, 2008, 03:10 PM   #6
marshuff

You can put a rail system on the PTR - 91 with no problem. Even the forearm can have a rail system added and they don't cost all that much.
I have a double rail on my receiver. One holds the scope and the second mounted on top holds a EOTech holo sight. Works really slick.
marshuff
Old November 12, 2008, 07:19 PM   #7
sanctuarytraders

Wouldn't a rail have to be welded to the PTR? I spoke to a smith today and he said not to do it. Anyone have luck with this?
Old November 13, 2008, 04:02 PM   #8
marshuff

Rail for PTR - 91

You can find a lot of rail systems for the PTR91. They cost around 100.00 or so. www.hkparts.com has rails as does a lot of other places. You do not have to weld anything on.
Old November 13, 2008, 04:57 PM   #9
AK103K

That link takes you to washing machine parts.
Old November 13, 2008, 06:27 PM   #10
spodwo

Don't you mean www.hkparts.net?
Old November 14, 2008, 10:00 AM   #11
stubbicatt

Yes. hkparts dot net is a good place. The guy who owns it is Adam. His prices are a little on the high side for some things, but his service and his experience and advice are top notch.

Robert RTG parts (dot net or dot com?) is another really good online merchant. I would not hesitate to purchase from either of these sources.

If you want a really good trigger and a paddle mag release, contact Bill Springfield in Colorado Springs. If you Google his name and "trigger" you will find his email address. He contributes over at hkpro dot com as well, so you can find him there. -- These two additions to my rifle have made it so much more functional and enjoyable to shoot.

Tags
cetme , hkg3 , ptr , scope mount