The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 16, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
BigTex308

Which Glock

Not really a fan of Glocks. I prefer metal frame pistols, but I'm smart enough to recognize the benefits of having one. I've had an XD but it was stolen ( cops found it just waiting to get it back) so I don't want another. (Great pistols just wanting to diversify)

I want a 9x19 so I've narrowed it down to a 17 or 19.

Also considering getting a 23 and putting a 9mm barrel and mags in it. And eventually getting a .357Sig barrel for it just because I can.

Is there a full size .40 that I can get a 9mm and .357 barrel for?

Which do you prefer?

In addition to whichever of the above I decide on I'll be getting a 34. Any reviews on those?

Also what are the differences in the generations?

I'm not ready to buy yet, but if the right deal comes along I'd probably jump if we could work out a partial trade for some .45 ammo.

Thanks

Ike

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old November 16, 2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Theohazard

The Glock 22 is the full-size .40, you can put the Glock 31 barrel in it to switch to .357 SIG. To switch to 9mm you'll need an aftermarket barrel like the ones made by Lone Wolf.

I prefer the Glock 19 (it's my current EDC) because it's a little more compact than the 17 but still feels and shoots like a full-size gun. I also prefer the 9mm but the .40 is definitely more versatile.

The 34 is a fantastic gun for target or competition and it shoots amazingly well for most people, but the long mag release, the adjustable sights, and the long slide make it less good for carry.

Gen 4 Glocks all have the new dual-recoil spring (previously only the 26 and 27 had them), they have adjustable grip backstraps (normally the grip is slightly smaller, but it comes with two panels you can pin on to make the grip either the same size as the Gen 3 or slightly bigger), the grip has a more aggressive texture, and the mag release is bigger and more easily reversible.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Crow Hunter

If you are going to CCW it, the G19 is smaller.

I prefer the G19 to the larger G17 frame. It is easier for me to carry.

.40/.357 conversion is just a barrel change, all the other parts are the same.

9mm, technically requires the extractor/ejector/barrel to be changed. They are different between 9mm and .40/.357 and while it might work to just change the barrel, I wouldn't want to rely on it for anything other than goofing off at the range and I can't advise you to do that as an Armorer.

I prefer just 9mm myself. The other rounds are harder on the guns and much more expensive to shoot for little advantage.

I have owned the 34 in the past. It was a nice shooter and pretty much set up for competition from the factory. (3.5 lb connector, extended slide stop, extended magazine release).

I don't like the extended slide stop or release personally.

Good luck.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:59 AM   #4
TailGator

In addition to the above good advice, I will only add that the back strap hump is placed differently on the 17 and the 19, so one may fit your hand better than the other. I have my preference, but your hand is the one that matters. You have to try them out.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:09 AM   #5
BigTex308

Thanks for the replies so far.

The 34 will be my competition gun (Idpa)

I have a few CCWs already so I probably won't be carrying whichever one I get. I'm kinda leaning towards the 17, but then again if I'm getting the 34 anyways it might be better to get a compact like the 19.

By the time I change out the ejector/extractor and the barrel I could just buy another used one. Somebody had told me all I needed was the barrel (and mag of course)

Keep the responses coming!

Ike

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old November 16, 2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far.

The 34 will be my competition gun (Idpa)

I have a few CCWs already so I probably won't be carrying whichever one I get. I'm kinda leaning towards the 17, but then again if I'm getting the 34 anyways it might be better to get a compact like the 19.

By the time I change out the ejector/extractor and the barrel I could just buy another used one. Somebody had told me all I needed was the barrel (and mag of course)

Keep the responses coming!
The G17 uses the same magazines as the G34.

The G19 can also use the magazines of the G17/G34 but they protrude slightly from the grip.

The G34 and the G17 are identical except for the competition parts and the longer barrel/slide. All their parts will interchange.

To echo Tailgator, you should check the fit to your hand. The G19 fits my hand better than the G17/34. The grip hump sticks out below my palm slightly on the G34/17 and it isn't as comfortable to me as the smaller frame.

You can usually get a G22 to fire with a 9mm barrel but it might not be reliable.

Good luck.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Theohazard

(double post)
Old November 16, 2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Theohazard

Yeah, most people who get the aftermarket 9mm barrel use it for cheaper range practice. While the gun will still be pretty reliable with the .40 extractor and ejector, I wouldn't recommend it for self-defense.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Dashunde

Quote:
In addition to whichever of the above I decide on I'll be getting a 34.
I'd definitely go with the 23 and the 35 (instead of the 34).

You can buy 9mm and 357sig barrels for both guns.
But if you buy them for the 35 you can use them in the 23 also, they'll just stick out of the 23 a couple inches.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:57 AM   #10
CraigJS

Make sure the bumps in the front of a G19 fit your hand size. I wanted a 17, my daughter liked the fit of the 19 (G3). I wish I'd baught the 17, NOT the 19.
The grip doesn't fit my hand, and I don't have large hands. I carry a XD9sc (love it) and with a good belt and holster could carry the 17 just as well.
All said and done I'd rather have my CZ 75 Comp PCR back, than either the sc or the Glock..
Old November 16, 2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Dashunde

^Does the trigger guard push your fingers too far down the grip to line up with the finger groves?
If so, simply Dremel the bottom of the guard just a bit with the little barrel sander thing to allow your fingers to ride up higher.
Its easy to do and if done correctly/nicely/slowly its real hard to see that its even been done.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Dan-O

I'd get a Gen 2 G-22 or G-23 and get conversion barrels and mags to shoot 9mm. Gen 2 Glocks can usually be had for about $350 on gunbroker.

I have both a G22, and G23 that I have conversion barrels, and 9mn mags for. I have shot literally thousands of rounds through both without a single failure of any kind.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:43 AM   #13
Amsdorf

I own a G17, 26 and a 21.

I had a G20 and G30 and a G22. Sold them all.

I sold the G20 after having some fun with it, decided there was no reason, *for me* to have a G20. Got out of it what I paid for it.

My first Glock was the 17. I just think anyone who wants to get into Glocks, needs to get the "original" Glock, the 17. Mine is a Gen 3. Has run without fail since day one.

After a lot of research and study, I decided to use a G26 as my EDC when I can carry it concealed, there are times when I must use only my Ruger LCP.

The G26, for me, is my favorite Glock: size, power, and capacity. I put a CT laser grip on it and carry it comfortable either IWB or OWB. I perfer OWB.

Glocks just work, period.

I love the G21, it is the one I'm most accurate with, by far. I tried the 30, but the 21 in .45ACP is the "most perfect" Glock for my hands, etc. Too big to lug around as a CCW, but love it.

MY .02