The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 26, 2010, 01:15 PM   #1
wingnutt2519

Hello I am a fairly new hunter looking for a rifle

I live in Michigan and am looking for a rifle for the upcomming deer season. I am looking to get this as inexpensively as possible. If anyone knows where I can get one or has one please let me know. I live in Michigan and would be more than happy to meet up if the price is right. Thanks just trying to put some food on the table for the family in the tough times.
Old July 26, 2010, 01:52 PM   #2
hardluk1

Go to your local gun shops and see what you can buy a savage/stevens 200 for. Get one in 308 and get into huting. You will not find a lower cost rifle and you should be able to pick one up for under 300 dallars. Used if any less may be junk.

Last edited by hardluk1; July 27, 2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old July 26, 2010, 02:11 PM   #3
doofus47

I think Hardluk has it nailed.

The short answer, back 10 years ago, was "get an SKS and a 5 round replacement magazine." 7.62xs39 ammo is cheap, so you could practice a lot--important for a beginner. Anything inside of 150 yards would be droppable with a 150grain softpoint. 150 yards will seem like a long, long shot to a beginning hunter. If I remember Michigan has lots of trees; you might not be able to see more than 100 yards. The SKS is what I call "deer accurate." Nowadays, SKSs are pricier than they should be (in my opinion) and your best value might be a savage/stevens 200.

Another option if you're not allergic to iron sights would be to get an M44 Mosin Nagant bolt action. Those can usually be had for about $125-150. Ammo is cheap; the rifle is deer-accurate out to 150/200 yards, it's a very rugged rifle perfect for bad hunting weather; the 7.62x54R cartridge will knock a deer down.

Good luck on your hunt! Let us know how it turns out.
Old July 26, 2010, 02:58 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

For 100 yard hunting, I can't argue with a surplus Mosin being a cheap way to get started. But... the sights can be difficult to use, especially without experience.

My suggestion would be a Marlin XL7 or XS7 in .30-06, .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester, or 7mm-08. You can get the rifle, a half-decent scope, and several boxes of factory ammo for less than $400. If you can find a combo package that includes the scope, the total price might be down around $350 - with ammo.

But... none of this really matters unless we know what your budget is.
Old July 26, 2010, 03:15 PM   #5
wingnutt2519

I am looking to Spend 300-400 I did also find a Mossberg 30-06 for under 400 here is a link maybe you can help me out http://www.thegunsource.com/item/652...00ATR_Bol.aspx
Old July 26, 2010, 03:38 PM   #6
hooligan1

Dang! get the pistol too!!!

Thanks for coming!
Old July 26, 2010, 04:08 PM   #7
wingnutt2519

Ok is the 30-06 a good deal or not Sorry the last post sounded like it was a good deal but I was not sure if it was sarcasm... I am not real good with guns but I want to learn so if anyone can let me in on what to look for that would be great
Old July 26, 2010, 04:18 PM   #8
hooligan1

Sorry no sarcasm intended, it only looked like a good deal to me, nice rifle, nice pistol one low price!! I look at it like this, It's two good reasons to go to your local gun-range dude!!

Thanks for coming!
Old July 26, 2010, 04:21 PM   #9
wingnutt2519

Sweet I like the sound of that .... When I am looking for a firearm what are the things I should look for... Again I am sorry for being a novice but I really want to know what to look for to be sure I am not taken advantage of
Old July 26, 2010, 05:12 PM   #10
taylorce1

wingnutt, not wanting to rain on your parade but I wouldn't take a Mossberg if you gave it to me. There have been some serious safety issues in the past with their bolts coming apart. Don't know if they fixed the problem or not, but I don't really care either way I will not own one.

I think the rifles mentioned Stevens 200 or Marlin XL/XS series will be your best bet if you want to go with a new rifle. Or if you can find one a Savage Edge will be another good option. If you are new to rifles and hunting I'd start out with somthing a little easier to shoot like a .243 Win over the .30-06. I love the .30-06 cartridge, it just isn't always the best choice in a beginers rifle.
Old July 26, 2010, 07:36 PM   #11
1goodshot

A good used 30-30 would be my choice.
Old July 26, 2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Hog Hunter

Agree with taylor!! You can get a good rem 700 and a leupold scope for around 500-600, you will never need to buy another rifle and be very pleased with the results.

In my opinion, the optics on your rifle make all the differance in the world. Its not gonna nessaceraly help you shoot better but when its rainin, foogy, right at dark or day break, you will wish you had a good scope on top of whatever you choose to get. If your not gonna be takin shots over 200 yards then pretty much whatevr rifle you get youll more than likly be happy with.
Old July 26, 2010, 08:25 PM   #13
Deerhunter

Go with a Remington 700 in either 308 or 270. That is a great base. Then buy a decent scope for it. After you save up some more moeny sell the cheap scope and get a nice one that will match up better to the gun. Not much in the US that you can't kill with either round
Old July 26, 2010, 10:20 PM   #14
Hoskins

The Marlins have had allot of good reviews & a trusty ole Marlin 30/30 is a great choice. It is a lever action type rifle & has been used for ages. The 30/30 is one of the most popular rounds out there.

Additionally, the Hornaday Leverevolution rounds have greatly increased the ballistics of the Lever rounds. You can easily take deer out to 200 yds & maybe a lil bit more with the 30/30. Additionally, you can pick up one of these Marlin 30.30's from Wally World (Wal-Mart) for under $350.

Next is optics, there will be allot of folks/hunters that will tell you that if your scope don't cost at least $300 then it is crap...not true. I have used wally world specials...Bushnell Sportsman 3x9x40mm for a long time & they do just fine. My early days as a Marine I didn't get paid enough to throw down a bunch of money, I have upgraded to Nikon Prostaff scopes & they run around $150 to $170 per scope. Hope this helps & if you have any other questions feel free to ask or PM me...I am a budget hunter...even though I get paid a heck of allot more now w/ 14 years in the USMC, I still aint got the $ to just throw around. There is plenty of great gear out there for folks that are on a budget. Allot of things in the hunting world today are more for social coolness that anything...I do get wrapped up in it on occassion, but that's me just being spoiled...and it don't hurt to spoil yourself or get spoiled every now & then.

Oh yeah, if you are looking for one weapon that you can hunt deer, turkey, small game, upland bird, etc... May I suggest that you look into the possibility of buying a shotgun combo that comes with a rifled barrel & a smooth bore barrel. It is just an option & it is an all around gun that is good for allot of different quarry & great for home defense. I personally am a Mossberg man & bought my wife a Mossberg 20 ga combo for deer hunting on base (centerfire weapons are prohibited on base). I got it for right around $230.00. It shoots great & accurate w/ Hornaday SST slugs & patterns well for turkey out to 40 yards...just a thought. Your MAX effective range with the slugs is gonna be around 150 yds...but this is plent of range in a forrested area.

BTW, I thought that Michigan was one of those states that didn't allow the use of centerfire rifles for hunting? Just curious.

Last edited by Hoskins; July 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old July 26, 2010, 11:07 PM   #15
cje1980

+1 on a 30-30. Classic woods rifle that is pretty cheap to pick up. You can usually find one without too much trouble for $200-300. Heck they sell them at Walmart for $350 brand new. I've never hunted in Michigan but from what I hear the 30-30 is pretty popular in that area of the country as long shots are pretty rare. The new Leverevolution ammo by Hornady turns that rifle into a 200+ yard deal. It really depends on what distances you will be hunting. If you think shots will be less than 150 yards. A nice lever action rifle would be perfect. I think a lot of people buy more gun than they need and develop a flinch at the range. I know that shoots virtually all his game inside of 200 yards yet has a 7mm RUM. What is it with people these days?

A nice used gun in 270, 30-06 or 308 would be good choices as well.
Old July 27, 2010, 03:34 AM   #16
wingnutt2519

Hoskins we have three zones in the state. I hunt two zones one where you can use rifle and one where you can only use shotgun. Last year was my first year out there in the woods hunting and I loved it. My girl last year bought me a Ten Point Titan HLX crossbow. I also have a Darton Bow.... I found I really enjoyed bow hunting and I was out there last year on a barrowed gun for the season and was using a remington 12 gauge with a rifled barrel.... The gun was what I took down my first deer with. It was a riot and I am in love with hunting now.... Time to get my own gun.... which is why I posted this thread.

Thanks for all the help everyone. If anyone else has any advice I would love to hear it.(By the way I was watching a hunting show on versus and found my future gun the Remmington R-25) has anyone heard anything on these?
Old July 27, 2010, 04:28 AM   #17
Hoskins

Yeah, I've heard good things, but who knows if it is sponsor BS & marketing though. I've picked one up, worked the action, felt it...it feels good & has a good AR action to it. I'm in the same boat as you...I want one of these something fierce!!! They are pricy though, hovering right around $1,500 to $1,600 MSRP. Cheaper Than Dirt has them for a little over $1,200 though.

BTW, I have been doing some browsing on Cheaper Than Dirt .com. I haven't visited that sight in some time & just found out that they sale firearms...and actually got some decent deals on quality guns. They have everything from your low end to high end rifles, shotguns, & pistols. Just to let you know, I HAVE NEVER ORDERED FIREARMS FROM THEM. Check out the links below. I think you were looking for 30.06 so I'll include one for it & for the R-25.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...igh&catid=2101

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...Low&catid=1653
Old July 27, 2010, 09:42 AM   #18
Buzzcook

Pick up a rifle and put it to your shoulder. Drop your cheek on the stock. If your looking right down the sights, it's a good fit. If you have to squirm around to get the sights in line it's not a good fit. Remember that you'll be wearing a jacket when you shoot it. So bring a jacket when you try it out.

Look at used rifles. Basically if they are rust free and the action works smoothly, they'll be ok.
Don't worry about what it's chambered in. Anything from .243 on up will do for deer. If you plan to practice a lot, you might consider a light cartridge.
Old July 27, 2010, 12:29 PM   #19
hooligan1

My son has a New England Handi-rifle, and has over the years added different barrels to it .270 win., .223 win., 45-70. The rifle is flat out accurate and loves factory ammo. The base model is .270win. and was less than 280.00, just a few years ago. It is a single -shot so you have to place those shots carefully. happy shootin

Thanks for coming!
Old July 27, 2010, 03:27 PM   #20
FrontSight

+1 on the used Savage. You can get a single shot Rossi for cheaper, but I am not a fan of single shot; sometimes you need a quick follow up or have multiple targets
Old July 27, 2010, 03:48 PM   #21
S&W Kinda Guy

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/a...h.php?cated=40

That lets you pick a rifle by caliber, and you can order it and have it shipped to your local FFL.
Old July 27, 2010, 07:06 PM   #22
wingnutt2519

here is what I ended up getting let me know how I did I got a westernfield 740 30-30 lever action with a scope 4 power... I paid 249.... feels good to me... now on to my next question what ammo should I buy????
Old July 27, 2010, 07:10 PM   #23
taylorce1

Buy a few different boxes of .30-30 from cheap to premium in 150 grain and find out which shoots the best from your rifle. IIRC Westernfield was a Montgomery Wards rifle back when they carried them. More than likely a Marlin lever rifle renamed. I'd say you did all right with your purchase the .30-30 has been killing deer many a year.
Old July 27, 2010, 07:22 PM   #24
Buzzcook

Pretty sure that's a Marlin 336, the second best .30-30 made

I really can't say if that's a great deal or not. If it's in good condition and with a good scope then it's an good deal.
The Montgomery Ward name drops the value a bit.

Clean it up and take it to the range. Have fun be safe.

Oh and take a hunter safety course.

150gr Winchester White box for practice and Remington Corlokt for deer.
Old July 27, 2010, 08:22 PM   #25
Hoskins

If it feels good & you are proud of it...then it is a good deal!!! As far as ammo is concerned, I would suggest some cheap rounds just for practice & sending some rounds down range, however, for hunting I would suggest the Hornaday Leverevolution. The ballistics & trajectory of these rounds are far superior to any other lever action specific ammo out there.

I use them for my .444 & I get alot more accuracy & range on them than I ever have with my Remington ammo for the .444.