The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 2, 2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Colokeb

Want to ID old Percussion pistol

I have seen this at a friend's house, they may sell it. But nobody knows what it is. The wood looks too new, but it fits tightly, and the metal looks old.

2 Photos:

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php/photo/566328

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php/photo/566325
Old August 2, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
w_houle

you must be a registered user to view these images.
Old August 2, 2008, 07:04 PM   #3
RJay

Well, it would be nice to see the picture but it states you have to be registered first???
Old August 2, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Colokeb

sorry guys, the cookie they put on my computer bypasses all that.... so I would have no way to see that you need to be a member. But several forums tell you to post pictures on hunt101. I'll study that soon.

The same question is currently asked in gunbroker's forums - ask the experts and the picture or links show there.

If you wish, I will email the photos to you.

Last edited by Colokeb; August 2, 2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old August 2, 2008, 11:54 PM   #5
Scorch

OK. Went to gunbroker forums and saw the pics. It is a percussion black powder pistol, probably around 60 caliber (mike the bore to be sure). It is commonly called a "horse pistol", meaning a pistol used by cavalry troops. It has an Italian royal crest (House of Savoy) stamped into it, making it post-1840s. During the late 1840s to mid-1860s, there was a war of independence from Austro-Hungarian rule in Italy, and they used whatever weapons they could get to equip troops, mainly French and German weapons. In the 1870s, the Italian army switched to Vetterli rifles, and changed their pistols to percussion revolvers, so it is possibly from the period before those events, somewhere around 1850-1860s. It could still be a fake, even with the crest on it.