The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 22, 2007, 06:46 PM   #1
Haterade

Scope for an M38?

Hey guys.

Does anyone have a recommondation for a decent scope for an M38 Mosin Nagant, under 100$? The scope mount I have is along the lines of a scout-style as it replaces the rear sight aperature. I'm not sure if eye-relief will be a problem or not. I'm thinking of just buying a vanilla Simmons from Dicks or Wallyworld, but I shoot a lot of hardball stuff through this rifle and I'm worried the recoil will wreck a cheap scope in short order. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of trying to use it for hunting next year. My girl will get the dedicated hunting rifle. I think a decent scope would raise my confidence a bit. I'm thinking up to 150 yards. Reasonable?
Old January 27, 2007, 12:39 AM   #2
Williamr

Scope for Model 38

As for a good scope for under $100 I would check out Midway USA. Their web site is www.MidwayUSA.com. If you do not have an account with them, I would incourage you to due so. They have sales on scopes all the time it seems. As for a scopemount for the M38, again I would check MidwayUSA. If you cannot find what you want, contact MidwayUSA Technical Assistance. I contact a J. Nickerson at Midway. His email address is [email protected]. Give him a day or so to answer your email. He has been a great help to me. I am going to be looking for a scope mount for one of my Model 91/30 rifles. I prefer my scope more towards the rear and not over or replacement of the rear sight. But that will be later in the summer. I hope I have been of some help to you.

Williamr
Old February 4, 2007, 10:35 PM   #3
Haterade

Just for posterity, here is what I got.

I bought a cheapo from Midway... BSA 4x pistol scope. I got the scope and rings for about 45 bucks. Came in 2 days after I ordered.

I haven't shot it yet, but here is a pic. I bought the scope mount probably 4 years ago, I'm not sure who made it... but it seems solid and the scope seems OK. Let's see if it holds up after I shoot some heavy stuff through it... I'm gonna try to shoot it next weekend.

Old February 5, 2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Toolman

Scout mounts

I bought a Scout Mount a couple years ago. It was a good idea but I don't think they're heavy enough for the Mosin's. They might be ok with light ball ammo. I changed scopes also but had the same problem.

The mount I bought was made of aluminum & I had trouble keeping the set screws adjusted even when I used locktite. There's also the problem with the original rear signt pin because it worked loose in the alum mount. Just not strong enough to handle repeated, heavy recoil I guess.
I'm making my own picatinny scout style, scope mount out of 4140 steel & we'll see how it performs when finished.
Old February 8, 2007, 04:17 PM   #5
frankxd

You will need a long eye relief (LER) scope to use with the scout mount.