The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Petre

Steel cases question ...

Hey guys , our local shop here has Wolf ammo for 45ACP on a great sale price . It's the steel cased 230gr .45ACP

Can this case be reloaded easily like brass ?

ALSO ... how bad is Wolf ammo ? I've never used it but I hear people say all the time that it's bad ammo.

Thanks
Pete

DOCTORS
A The number of Doctors in the U.S. is approximately 700,000
B Accidental deaths caused by Doctors per year average 120,000 or 0.171 per Doctor
GUNS
A The number of legal gun owners in the U.S. is currently over 80,000,000
B The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1500 or .000188 per gun owner

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000x more dangerous than gun owners

Remember, Guns don't kill people, DOCTORS do
Old February 10, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2
PinnedAndRecessed

I've heard that a few people reload Wolf, but I don't think I'd want to risk scratching the inside of my dies with steel cases. There's an abundance of good brass from hundreds of suppliers, so why bother?

As far as quality, some say it's ok. For example, I'll fire Wolf out of my mini-30 with no problems. It's not the most accurate out there, but it's ok.

Their QC is such, however, that it has led to some problems in firearms that have low tolerances. I,e., tight. Something about the coating on the ammo.

Hope this helps.

You might also check this thread:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.ph...nedandrecessed
Old February 10, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3
mbartel

Those cases are berdan primed...for the most part, they are considered non-reloadable. For casual plinking and practice, I use them outdoors so I don't have to chase down brass from the dirt. They are somewhat dirty burning, but if you clean your guns after shooting them, then so what? Some people would never shoot them in their guns...others shoot them a lot. Try a couple of boxes and make your decision based on what you like.
Old February 10, 2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

They can be re-loaded but by the time you buy the special dies and priming kits for them, you have defeated the whole purpose in buying them,which was to save money.
You can't make a swan from a duck, Buy um,Shoot um. Clean um up.
Old February 10, 2006, 03:29 PM   #5
jsflagstad

Some is Boxer primed

I have reloaded the Wolf cases with standard equipment (carbide dies). All of the 40 S&W Wolf ammo I have ever fired has been reloadable boxer primed and the 45 acp may be as well but I don't know for sure. I do know that all of the 9mm Wolf ammo I have shot has been berdan primed and for all practical purposes would not be reloadable.

Like I said, I have reloaded numerous Wolf steel cases, and it didn't hurt my gun or my dies. I guess if one were concerned about their guns and dies with this ammo, they better get better guns and dies.

As far as shooting the factory Wolf ammo, it has been very accurate for me. Groups well in my 9 and my 40.

JSF
Old February 10, 2006, 10:19 PM   #6
HSMITH

All the Wolf 45 ammo I have seen is boxer primed and reloadable.

I have loaded it. It will NOT hurt your carbide dies. It reloads fine.

I have enough brass that I did it just for the heck of it, and brass cases for 45 last forever so unless you lose it you won't need more.

Edit: I meant boxer and typed berdan, DUH!!! Fixed now.

Last edited by HSMITH; February 11, 2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old February 10, 2006, 11:14 PM   #7
jsflagstad

Just for fun

Same here Smith... I kind of did it for the heck of it and to see if it would work. Just curious I guess.

JSF
Old February 11, 2006, 09:37 AM   #8
dodgestdshift

I tried reloading Wolf cases, but quit when two cases with undersized flash holes captured the decapping pin and removed them from the stem. This bent the pins and they stuck in the die/press forcing me to use a screwdriver to remove the cases from the shell holder. After that, I said "never again".

Don N.
Old February 11, 2006, 11:18 AM   #9
dogfood

In the interest of science, I reloaded a small batch of Wolf .45 ACP steel cases. Yes, they are boxer primed. I had no issues in reloading with standard dies, but the steel started splitting after the 2nd reloading on some of the cases. I pitched the whole lot after that.

So, yes, it can be done. But as someone pointed out earlier, there is so much good brass available that it isn't worth the bother.

dogfood
Old February 13, 2006, 02:23 PM   #10
Petre

Thanks for all the answers and opinions guys ... I think I'll pass on trying to reload em. May shoot some ... can't hurt for the price.

DOCTORS
A The number of Doctors in the U.S. is approximately 700,000
B Accidental deaths caused by Doctors per year average 120,000 or 0.171 per Doctor
GUNS
A The number of legal gun owners in the U.S. is currently over 80,000,000
B The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1500 or .000188 per gun owner

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000x more dangerous than gun owners

Remember, Guns don't kill people, DOCTORS do