The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 21, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Beretta686

SCAR SBR Barrels?

I'm thinking about SBR-ing my new 5.56 SCAR and I've seen Hi-Desert Dog's service, but I'm rather hesitant to just have someone hack my rifle down. Especially now that people are paying obscene prices for them on top of their already obscene prices.

Is there anyone selling factory SBR barrels out there? I've looked around, but haven't found any.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old December 21, 2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

You haven't found any because there aren't any. FN said they were to going to release them this year and didn't do it.

You can buy a new factory 16" barrel and gas block and have it cut. They are close to $1000 IIRC

Hi-Desert Dog's quality control is hit or miss from what I have read. I won't be sending my thousand dollar barrel to someone who can't get it right every time.
Old December 21, 2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Beretta686

Thanks for the heads up. This SCAR seems like a great gun even though I haven't shot it yet, but it looks goofy with that 16-inch barrel hanging out there.

If I can't make it look right in a quality way, I may just sell it while this feeding frenzy for EBRs is going on.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old December 21, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Willie Lowman

If something changes down the road, I'll SBR mine but not without a factory barrel. Here it is, as is, funny looking barrel and all.

Old December 22, 2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Beretta686

I did some more digging and apparently Tornado Technologies does SCAR Conversions too. They threaded my 77/22 and did a fantastic job on it. But that's a bit different than fiddling with the gas port on a $1000 barrel.