The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 2009, 09:53 AM   #1
dyl

I see the firing pin

Hi guys, I'd like your opinion on something:

I've got this 9mm semiauto that's kind of obscure, a Bernardelli P-018. Only has had a few hundred rounds through it, and I noticed a couple strange things with it.

1) if I tilt the gun forward, the firing pin protrudes through the hole and extends all the way. If i tilt it backwards, the firing pin hides away again.
- not sure, but I don't think that's normal. I haven't had any failures to fire/light strikes or anything. Will it cause problems or damage if I don't get it taken care of?

2) lesser issues: rattling. seems like the frame to slide fit isn't the best, the back of the slide rattles if I pronate/supinate quickly. Also some lateral play in the trigger but that's not loose enough to make any noise. I'm not overly concerned about this set of issues. But I wonder if a session with a vice would tighten the slide up - wouldn't want to do anything to hurt it though.

Whadya think? I appreciate your thoughts.
Old November 21, 2009, 10:54 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

The firing pin issue sounds like you're missing the spring that pushes the firing pin back.
As for your problems with Italian quality control ...
Old November 21, 2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Bernardellis were pretty nice guns. I think the firing pin is normal.
I also think you should leave the slide alone. Moving parts need clearance.
Old November 22, 2009, 02:26 PM   #4
dyl

Thanks guys. Sometimes a little reassurance goes a long way wasn't looking forward to trying to find parts to this one. I appreciate your responses and I'll keep just keep an eye on it.
Old November 22, 2009, 07:18 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The gun has been worked on. That firing pin is certainly NOT normal and the gun would never have gotten past the factory inspection, let alone through the Italian proof house with that kind of defect. With no retraction spring, the firing pin can easily interfere with feeding and hang up the gun and/or damage the slide and firing pin. Worse, the firing pin could stick forward and cause an out-of-battery firing which would destroy the gun and possibly injure the shooter.

The firing pin spring is listed on www.e-gunparts.com and I suggest you purchase one and install it.

JIm
Old November 23, 2009, 09:06 PM   #6
dyl

wow. Hadn't thought of those possibilities. Thank you very much, I appreciate it. Looks like my next project

-- whoops, on another post I didn't know I could just edit it and not re-post. Sorry everyone!
--I now think the firing pin spring might be okay but the firing pin itself might be broken since there is still some resistance when I depress the back of the firing pin (where the hammer strikes). Also I can feel the firing pin rubbing against the firing pin safety plunger when I depress it. When I press the rear of the firing pin inward (simulating hammer strike) while depressing the safety plunger, (allowing it to travel as far as it will go) at the very end of the stroke the firing pin is forced out into the chamber. But when I let go the main body of the firing pin does appear to travel rear-ward, but the tip of the firing pin doesn't retract and stays in the chamber. So my guess is the firing pin got severed somewhere along the way. Frustrating since I'm having a hard time taking it apart to see. Maybe it's time to give it to a smith try...

Last edited by dyl; November 24, 2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: update