The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 14, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
556A2

Savage 340 Problem

This is cross-posted on THR & Savage Shooters, but I figure it would be best to get as much opinions as possible.

I picked up a nice Savage 340E in .30-30 today in a private sale. It has seen some use, but the bore & crown are great.

The problem is the bolt is VERY stiff opening & closing. I mean nearly as bad as a Mosin Nagant with "Sticky Bolt Syndrome". Its also fairly rough riding in the bolt, but I would expect that on a cheaper rifle. The previous owner told me about it up front, and he even had his gunsmith check it out. The gunsmith told him it would loosen up with firing. He told he put 500 rounds of .30-30 through it, and it did loosen up a bit.

That said, I can't believe something isn't wrong. The force needed to open & close the bolt is just outrageous.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? I thought about disassembling the bolt, but I can't find instructions online.
Old November 14, 2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Buzzard Bait

strip the bolt

I would disassemble the bolt, some where in there is your problem be it rust and corosion or maybe a broken spring thats binding but it should be obvious when you get it apart

buzzard bait
Old November 15, 2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Crosshair

How easy to rounds chamber? The 340 was the first Savage rifle to use the barrel nut to set headspace IIRC. Is it possible that the barrel is screwed too far into the receiver and the bolt has to cam up against the breech of the gun?

Just throwing ideas.

I agree that it is very unusual, the Savage 340 is a very smooth action in my experience. I love my 340 in 30-30. People look at you funny when they see you have spitzer bullets loaded into 30-30 cases.
Old November 15, 2009, 05:45 PM   #4
556A2

Haven't chambered any rounds as I don't have any .30-30 at the house.

I took down the bolt last night, and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I then soaked the bolt in 3-In-1 oil all night, and no real improvement.

I'm starting to think the barrel nut may just be too tight. Debating on trying to find a smith to fix it, or trade it off as a project rifle.