The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 4, 2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Bashers

Lacquerd milsurp ammo

recently got into shooting, recently got my first rifle, an AIA M10 A1 in 7.62 x 39. Bought some lacquered steel case milsurp ammo to go with it. AIA warned me off using lacquered stuff in their rifles as " the build up of lacquer in the chamber can cause extraction problems" Unfortunatly i have about 400 rounds of the stuff, is this amount likley to cause me problems and how hard is it to clean lacquer build up from in the chamber? Also, this will be the first time the rifles been fired since leaving the factory, would it be best to use brass commercial ammunition for the bedding in period? Any advise would be most welcome as im very new to shooting and still finding my way

cheers

Ben
Old May 4, 2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Kortik

Try to find actual evidence of "lacquer built up".

If you are successful in that, please let me know where did you find it. Some pictures of "built-up" would be nice.

Major armies of the world are using this kind of ammo, and tens of billions of rounds of ammo were fired w/o problems.
Old May 4, 2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Build up is possible, but mostly in ammo developed in the Free World.

American ammunition has a straighter case without the more extreme taper Com-bloc ammo has.
This "can" cause extraction and feed problems with lacquered case ammo.

With 7.62x39 ammo you'll have no problems because it was specifically designed to use lacquered cases.
If you seem to be having any problems, simply use bore solvent and a .45 caliber bore brush to scrub the chamber.
Old May 4, 2009, 08:37 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some WWII German steel case lacquered ammo gave trouble in machineguns when the heat melted the lacquer. I have used a fair amount of the new stuff in various guns with no problem, but was not firing 1200 rounds per minute, either.

(FWIW, the lacquer is solely to prevent steel cases from rusting; it has no other purpose.)

Jim
Old May 4, 2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Kortik

Well,

I was firing machine gun while serving in the Soviet Army, some lacquered
7.62x54R, MG got real from time to time, amazingly nothing never melted
and nothing got stuck in the chamber. There was certainly no lacquer in the chamber at the time of the cleaning, just a blacky stuff, like usual.

If this kind of ammo is not working reliably in certain guns, it's not because of lacquer, but because

1. it's a steel case and

2. this case is sized to work reliably in military guns with relatively loose chambers only
Old May 5, 2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Bashers

thanks for the info, ill fire off 50 or so this weekend and go from there
Old May 6, 2009, 07:42 PM   #7
drail

Go to a paint or hardware store and buy a quart can of lacquer thinner. Mop some in the chamber and let it soak for a minute or two when you clean the gun. Even if it does not stop the action you don't want to let that stuff build up in the chamber.
Old May 7, 2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Tom2

Seems to me that they would have taken into account the most available and popular type of ammo for their gun in that caliber. what do they want you to do, buy just expensive brass cased commercial stuff? How many rounds do you want to fire between cleanings? I would say clean the chamber after every 50 rounds or something, if there seems to be a problem. Or inspect it occasionally during use. Combloc guns tend to eat that stuff up with few problems, they had it in mind when they designed the guns.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:12 AM   #9
Markard

shoot and enjoy

a few others hit around the mark. The lacquer is to stop rust and the cases are sized to compensate so no problems there. Will it transfer to the chamber? Not under normal use, Lacquer is often used to protect wooden floors from people walking on them and NOT transfer to shoes. IF you fire a 100 round drum nonstop of them you may get a little lacquer in chamber but otherwise do not worry about those cheap unreloadables and have fun shooting.