The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 23, 2015, 01:42 PM   #1
TX Hunter

Are Shooting Videos not allowed?

I shared a Video of Myself Shooting My Rifle. My Video was on Yutube I shared the link and got a warning about Fly By posting. Would someone please EXPLAIN the Rules pertaining to why this was considered an offense. Respectfully TX Hunter

Last edited by TX Hunter; August 23, 2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old August 23, 2015, 01:47 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Shooting videos are certainly allowed.

Drive By/Cut & Paste postings are against the rules.

Forum Rules

Drive By Postings
Old August 23, 2015, 02:12 PM   #3
TX Hunter

If I want to share a shooting video, or Firearms review what is the proper way to do it ?
Old August 23, 2015, 04:57 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

You have to provide a verbal explanation about the video.
Old August 23, 2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Pond, James Pond

The general practice seems to be to provide a short synopsis of what the video contains. It doesn't need to be a blow-by-blow account, but nor should it be too vague.

I've never posted a video but have linked news reports in the past. I remember one did have a short accompanying text. Too short it seemed as it too was closed as a drive by. So, as I said, don't be too vague: enough for people to know what they are likely to be seeing.
Old August 23, 2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Clark

I too was surprised when that thread was closed for being a drive by.

What is a drive by?
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 23, 2015, 07:04 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

The rules on drive-by posts are outlined here.

To explain, we're a discussion forum, not an advertising billboard. We have slews of people who sign up for the sole purpose of promoting their own goods or services, with no intention of actually participating in the forum. They profit, but they don't contribute anything in return.

In short, the rule discourages that behavior and it keeps the signal/noise ratio high, which is something in which we take pride.

Am I accusing the OP of this? Absolutely not. He's a longstanding member. However, the rule against drive-by posts applies across the board. Posting a link to an outside video is fine, but it has to be placed in context. Giving a description and some food for discussion makes it acceptable.
Old August 23, 2015, 07:05 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Clark, did you see post #2?
Old August 23, 2015, 07:29 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

There are a number of reasons for not allowing drive buy/cut & paste. Here's an incomplete list in no particular order (and perhaps including some that have already been given).
  • Given the general idea of TFL and why people frequent the site, it's not particularly common for a link or cut & paste with no commentary to further the purpose of TFL or benefit the membership.
  • Many people do not like to click on a link without some idea of what they are seeing and why. This can be for a number of reasons including safe websurfing, the limitations of the computer/device being used for surfing, personal preference regarding content viewed, etc.
  • Spam is often posted in the form of a drive-by post with a link. By discouraging the membership from posting in this form it makes spam easier to spot.

The link I provided in my first post on the thread contains a more lengthy explanation with other reasons and comments.
Old August 23, 2015, 07:35 PM   #10
TX Hunter

So if I explained that I wanted to share a video of Me shooting My Rifle with the members it would be ok ? I wasn't trying to sell anything. It was just Me and My Rifle. I always loved this board, because It had People on it with the same Hobby I have.
Old August 23, 2015, 08:32 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Sure, some commentary on what you were doing in the video, what gun were shooting, why you made the video, etc. would have turned it from a drive-by into a regular post with a link.

Something like a summary of the narrated introduction you put on the video would be perfect.

By the way, a lot of the WWII rifles were sighted to hit high at around 100 yards. Some as much as a foot high. That may be why your first shot hit high on the target.
Old August 23, 2015, 08:42 PM   #12
TX Hunter

Thanks Johnska
Old August 24, 2015, 12:18 AM   #13
Clark

Quote:
Mal H
Clark, did you see post #2?
I do now.
He was a good guy, who made an appropriate video, but he just gave a link, and did not set it up with an introduction.

"Who'd a thought reading and writing would pay off?" - Homer Simpson
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 24, 2015, 03:07 AM   #14
Theohazard

I really like the strict rules against drive-bys that TFL has. That's the main reason I prefer this forum over other similar gun forums.

There are few things here that I dislike more than when someone posts a link with little to no commentary. So I'm supposed to use up my data plan and bandwidth to load and then watch an external video just to understand what the thread is about? In my opinion, posting only a link to a video is lazy and rude and doesn't belong in a discussion forum.
Old August 24, 2015, 06:29 AM   #15
TX Hunter

The 8 in the title was a mistake, I tried to correct that, but was un able.
Old August 24, 2015, 06:32 AM   #16
TX Hunter

Thanks Clark for Your understanding. I did not have bad intent. I will do my best to make a quality post next time. Thank You Firing Line Forums for explaining where I went wrong on this Post.
Old August 24, 2015, 09:15 AM   #17
skizzums

I have a few YouTube vids of shooting. I have never opened a thread to showcase them. I wait until the is a thread discussing a topic that my video can contribute to. Question about a type of gun or ammo, or what it takes to cast lead etc. If I feel my vid can add substance to a topic ill mention it. I understand that practically noone here profits of their videos, except for one that I know of, I have 20k views on one and haven't earned a single cent, but I also don't know what kind of response people expect to get from posting "here's a vid of me shooting" except a couple atta-boy's and complaints on your technique. If your reviewing a apecific gun, i think those are acceptable as "drive-by's" because some folks are genuinely interested on visual reviews of specific firearms.