The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2014, 03:51 PM   #1
wogpotter

"best" powder for .357 Mag 125 Gr in DILLON meters.

Seriously, whats a good powder for the 357 125 gr that will behave well in a Dillon-type sliding powder meter

I just did the RL550 upgrade & I have to admit I'm unimpressed with the repeatability of the charges dropped by the meter with Accurate #9 & H 110.

I usually load a mid-range charge of 13.6 gr of AA #9, or 19 gr of H110, but when I ran a small test batch with a theoretical load of middle density I got 2 loads out of 10 that were definite overloads!

I dumped 15 test lots before reloading, averaged 3 weights for the charge adjustment & did al the usual good manufacturing practices stuff, but I admit I'm concerned that I can get charges this off.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 5, 2014, 04:01 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

You'd better call Dillon and ask them what you're doing wrong. I have two Dillons and they both drop a charge within .1 grains every time. I use a lot of 296 (same as 110) and have zero problems. I've loaded several hundred thousand rounds on my Dillons over the last twenty (?) years or so. No problems what-so-ever. NONE. Seriously, call Dillon. They can, and will, help you out.
Old June 5, 2014, 04:46 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

so I mebbe kinda understand

I have one Dillon measure (XL650) dedicated to AA9, and one to H110.

Not sure what your intended 'goal' is for that 125g, but I might suggest N350 and N110. Both have slightly larger grains than either talc-AA9 or wee-ball-H10.
Both are sufficient for actual defense ammo.

Alternatives include:
-Power Pistol
-HS6
-Universal
Old June 6, 2014, 06:37 PM   #4
BigJimP

Powder drop variations like that .... are an indication you did something wrong on the setup --- or maybe there is something loose on the powder measure --- or you have a static elec problem in the powder hopper ( if any powder particles are sticking to the inside of the measure - its a static problem) ---- or your procedures in terms of how you are cycling the handle or not correct....
---------
Dillon 650 ....all the powders I've tried are plus or minus 0.1 grain...
---------
In .357 Mag....I like Hodgdon TiteGroup or Hodgdon Universal are my primary powders....( Longshot is a little too hot for my taste )...and H110 is an option but it calls for a lot of powder...so I've never tested it.

Another option is Unique...its similar to Hodgdon Universal...
Old June 6, 2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Gunnels

I was having problems with inconsistent powder dispensing. I wasn't using the same measure or powder that you are using. In fact I was using a Lee Powder measure with Unique. I read on one of the forums that using a baffle would help. I tried it and now I get much more consistent powder measures. The best $7 I have spent. The baffle I used was one made by Hornady and I got it from MidwayUSA.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/171...ure?cm_vc=S014
Beretta Cougar 8045F, 8040D, and 8000D
Old June 6, 2014, 07:49 PM   #6
iraiam

I meter H110 accurately all day long on a Dillon slide measure, in fact I can meter it so closely that I can weigh out 10 charges and expect it to be pretty darn close.

14 grains X 10 = 140 grains, I always do this as one of the final steps in my setup.

I got tired of changing powder measure setups so I started buying the Dillon powder measure for all my caliber setups and just leave it there. The one I measure H110 in is a pretty new powder measure, but I don't recall any problems with the old one I used for everything either.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason