The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2014, 08:44 PM   #1
AL45

Cast lead .45 acp vs .45 colt What's the difference?

Missouri Bullets shows a 200 grain rnfp .45 acp sized to .452 with a brinnell hardness of 18. They show a .45 Colt 200 grain rnfp sized to .452 with a brinnell hardness of 12. Both show a crimp groove. These bullets appear identical except for the hardness. I assume that both will fire just fine and dandy in both my Ruger Blackhawk and my son's Ruger 1911. If so, why do they call one an ACP and the other a COLT?
Old June 5, 2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Gadawg88

The 45 colt is probably intended for cowboy action, loaded lighter, thus the softer lead. Just my guess.
Old June 5, 2014, 10:48 PM   #3
tangolima

Missouri bullets claim their bullets are hardness optimized. Their website shows what it exactly means, an equation relating bullet hardness with chamber pressure. Different pistols, different chamber pressure, and hence different hardness.

BTW, they do make good bullets. Too bad they don't make gas checked rifle bullets.

-TL
Old June 6, 2014, 03:59 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

With most of my cast bullets 12 is about as hard as I go. They work in everything from 38 SPL through 44 mag up to around 1300fps with no GC.

Personally I would go with the softer of the two. But that's just me.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:03 AM   #5
AL45

Let's forget I said anything about the Brinnell hardness of these bullets. These bullets are identical in size and shape, so why call one an ACP and the other a COLT? The hardness is irrelevant in the bullet's ability to function in either gun. as long as the correct load data is used. Right? Or is this just a marketing glitch by Missouri. I just want to make sure I am not missing something. I have used their 255 grain SWC in my Blackhawk with good results, by the way.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:13 AM   #6
YARDDOG(1)

The colt bullet has a Crimp grove for a six gun,, acp would take a taper crimp.

All in all, You could shoot both from a wheel gun.. JMO
Y/D

Last edited by YARDDOG(1); June 7, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:18 AM   #7
tangolima

Hardness has to do with leading. It is not gimmick.

The bullet designs are slightly different. Revolver bullets have crimping groove right below the ogive, while bullets for auto don't.

In a pinch you may be able to use the bullets interchangeably. But it is just not ideal.

-TL
Old June 6, 2014, 09:42 AM   #8
salvadore

maybe the hardness of the 45 colt is an attempt to facilitate bumping the bullet up for larger chambers
Old June 6, 2014, 09:55 AM   #9
Jim Watson

The common wisdom used to be that cast bullets for .45 ACP (and AR revolvers) needed to be harder to engage the "shallow rifling."
I think it has been shown that correct sizing is more important.
I'd try the soft ones first.
Old June 6, 2014, 11:15 AM   #10
mikld

One is called 45 ACP so the 45 ACP reloaders can find it in the catalog (if you were shooting 45 ACP, would you look for 45 Colt bullets in an on line catalog?) and one is called 45 Colt so that the 45 Colt reloaders can find it. Some may think harder is better for the 45 Colt that can be reloaded to a higher velocity than the ACP...
Old June 6, 2014, 11:31 AM   #11
Poindexter

I agree with the first two respondents, BHN 12 is about right in my guns for 14k psi chamber pressure.

I don't own a 45ACp, but I would be looking for something a bit harder than BHN 12 for a 21k psi chamber pressure.
Old June 6, 2014, 03:35 PM   #12
Mike / Tx

I took a good look at both of the bullets in question today at work. Sorry but I didn't have time to post from there.

What I see is that they DO appear to be slightly different. The one listed for the Colt does in fact HAVE a crimp groove, where the one for the ACP seems to only have a shoulder. This is very similar to some other ACP bullets of this type I have had in the past.

Most who use them set the crimp just below that tiny shoulder with only about a fingernail's worth of it exposed like you would a semi wad cutter. Some say this is better for accuracy, I personally couldn't tell you from experience. My groups always seem to hover around 2" no matter what I do.

Still with the hardness of either they will both shoot in either handgun caliber. I have no issues running a soft 9 or 10 BHN through my ACP even with top end loads. With the 45 Colt, I'm using nothing harder than 12 in loads up into Ruger only territory, with no ill effects either. All of mine are sized to .452".
Old June 6, 2014, 04:48 PM   #13
AL45

Thanks for your responses. I was mostly wanting to buy 1 bullet for both guns.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:49 PM   #14
dickttx

The two bullets are identical except for hardness.
I have used thousands of the Cowboy #4, 12bhn bullets in my 45 ACPs. That is the only bullet I use. Absolutely no leading in any of my five 1911's ranging from a Colt Rail Gun, through a couple of Commanders, a CCO and an Officers. I seat to the crimp groove (about 1.195 oal) and of course use a taper crimp. They all feed without a problem in all five of the pistols.
I have also loaded several for 45 Colt and had good performance from them also.
A nice surprise a month of so ago. We moved last year and my garage has been packed full. Moving some things around I found 4K of them I had ordered after we moved and promptly covered up. Just like found money!