The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 1, 2013, 10:54 PM   #151
Fishing_Cabin

Tom,

I doesn't surprise me... I went through firearms qual with a guy who put .380 in a glock 19. It even stumped the instructors... "Why wont this Glock work like its supposed to?" They seemed to have forgot human error when it comes to Glock "perfection"....
Old June 1, 2013, 11:26 PM   #152
okiewita40

This close to a gun shop story. It just didn't happen in one.

When I was on the CERT team the Deputy Director called a team response. Upon arrival we had to pull out all of our eqipment including weapons. We pulled out our Glock's, The shotguns and rifles. Our rifles were either mini 14's or colt ar-15's.

Well the Deputy Director asked why we had those black guns. We told him they were standard issue for the team. He says we can't have them. We ask why. He says they are too powerful. They will shoot clear through any building made. We tried to tell him that the both rifles shot the exact same round but he wouldn't believe it.

We pulled out a box of ammo and loaded 2 rounds in ar mag. Then we removed the rounds and put the same two rounds in a mini mag. Even after being shown he still would not believe it.

Anyways he tried til the day he retired to get the EBR's removed from the Dept. Never happened.
Old June 1, 2013, 11:36 PM   #153
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I went through firearms qual with a guy who put .380 in a glock 19.
We see a lot of folks who get 9mm and .40 ammunition mixed up. A 9mm cartridge will fire from a gun chambered in .40, but the gun will jam. The telltale sign is the mushroomed-out cases.
Old June 2, 2013, 04:46 AM   #154
BigTex308

Re: Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
We see a lot of folks who get 9mm and .40 ammunition mixed up. A 9mm cartridge will fire from a gun chambered in .40, but the gun will jam. The telltale sign is the mushroomed-out cases.
Seen that at least half a dozen times!

Ike
Old June 2, 2013, 02:22 PM   #155
Theohazard

I had a customer ask if we carried blanks. He said a cop had told him the best gun for his wife was a revolver with a blank loaded as the first shot and the rest normal ammo; that way she'd be less afraid to pull the trigger in a self-defense situation.
Old June 2, 2013, 04:59 PM   #156
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
I had a customer ask if we carried blanks. He said a cop had told him the best gun for his wife was a revolver with a blank loaded as the first shot and the rest normal ammo; that way she'd be less afraid to pull the trigger in a self-defense situation.
Because that makes perfect sense!

Ike
Old June 2, 2013, 06:16 PM   #157
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
He said a cop had told him the best gun for his wife was a revolver with a blank loaded as the first shot and the rest normal ammo
I once had a guy ask me to order blanks for him. Why? He was concerned about the mental stability of his elderly father, who kept a revolver in the house for protection. The idea was that junior would surreptitiously replace dad's live rounds with blanks.

Boy, did I get a ration of grief for refusing that one.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:30 PM   #158
shouldazagged

Quote:
Laying next to the gun was a magazine, crammed full of .45 bullets. Not cartridges, mind you. Bullets.

I explained as politely as possible what the "problem" was, and he called me an elitist jerk.
I really wish I couldn't believe that. I can, all too easily. But then I'm an elitist jerk...
Old June 2, 2013, 09:45 PM   #159
Merad

Quote:
I once had a guy ask me to order blanks for him. Why? He was concerned about the mental stability of his elderly father, who kept a revolver in the house for protection. The idea was that junior would surreptitiously replace dad's live rounds with blanks.

Boy, did I get a ration of grief for refusing that one.
Why did you refuse? I assume you know nothing about their situation.

We had (probably still have, actually) a similar situation with my 93 year old, schizophrenic, WW2 vet grandad. I don't know all the details of his condition but he talks about seeing things that aren't there, supposedly he's seen utility workers at the edge of his property and mistaken them for Japs attacking, etc.

My dad's entire family family is laid back and non confrontational so no one is willing to just take the guns away and deal with his reaction. I told them to sneak the guns out and have a smith remove the firing pins, but they hemmed and hawed and never actually did it. It didn't cross my mind but blanks would be not complete solution, but an improvement to the situation...

Last edited by Merad; June 2, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 11:08 PM   #160
KyJim

Quote:
Don't mean to speak for Tom but blanks can kill if fired too closely to the (human) target. I can understand not wanting to be part of that.
Old June 2, 2013, 11:50 PM   #161
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Worst-case scenario is that dad might need the gun for self-defense, and he'll get killed trying to use it when it fires blanks. Part of that would be on me.

Best case is that I'm simply not meddling in someone else's family drama.
Old June 3, 2013, 03:51 AM   #162
Jim March

Quote:
His face started to turn red as he spoke "I wish all you old guys would quit coming in here asking me if I have any single actions. All yer going to do with it if I did have one to sell you is go to the river, walk around drinking beer, hualering Yeah Hah while you do yer fast draw and shoot dead trees.
Where is this jerk? I gotta go show him "Maurice the FrankenRuger" (New Vaquero in 9mmPara, magazine fed and auto-shell-ejecting, up to 14rd capacity with no reloads) just to make his head 'splode.
Old June 3, 2013, 02:04 PM   #163
Husqvarna

i was just browsing one store when an older customer walked in and started talking to the clerk, a guy in his early 20s. The old guy wanted to see a "real" employee, It is just me here the guy answered and said that he would take a look at the rifle, and said loud and clear that they don't buy rifles but cosign (correct word?) and only take a fee for selling them for the customer

but the old guy just wouldn't let up, call your boss, really rude I've am gonna spend tons of money here (which eh wasn't he was "just" going to buy a tikka.

the real comment just bugged me like hell. he wouldn't work there if he didn't know his stuff
Old June 3, 2013, 02:47 PM   #164
ClydeFrog

jon erik hexum....

If you want to learn more about how dangerous handgun blanks can be, read about actor; Jon Erik Hexum. He was an actor on a CBS tv series. Hexum fooled around with a S&W model 29 revolver on a set. The .44 had blanks. Hexum put the model 29 to the side of his head & pulled the trigger. The blank round caused major damage & he died in a ICU a few days later.
Id add that I once saw a young security class student load 9mm rounds backwards into a Glock on the range. I explained how to load a pistol correctly.
The guy scored 240/240 too.

CF
Old June 3, 2013, 03:39 PM   #165
RBid

Had a different kind of situation last week:

A couple came in together. The man walked up to my coworker, and politely asked if we had any .380. My buddy went back and grabbed a box for him. As they were ringing the transaction, the woman loudly declared that firearms were a waste of time, because they require ammunition. As Dom and I exchanged puzzled looks, the man turned and said, "Not now, please." She apparently took this as a challenge. She said, "Just give me a knife and a (toma)hawk, and drop me off in the woods! I can hunt and kill a man with a 'hawk! I don't need no gun!"

She looked like she last exercised some time in the 80s, but this woman was very confident in her physical prowess.

Of course, this woman may have a cannon growing out of her shoulder, and the hand-eye coordination of a ping pong champion. Maybe the joke is on me.
Old June 3, 2013, 04:01 PM   #166
Darren007

Quote:
She said, "Just give me a knife and a (toma)hawk, and drop me off in the woods! I can hunt and kill a man with a 'hawk! I don't need no gun!"
I had a co-worker once who kinda followed this train of thought. He once told me that "Firearms are 'easymode' and tools of the weak. It doesn't take any skill to pull a trigger and hit something."

My speechlessness morphed into a mighty facepalm.
Old June 3, 2013, 04:18 PM   #167
zincwarrior

Just point your finger at them and go "Bang! Mr. No Skills just shot you."
Old June 3, 2013, 04:39 PM   #168
Bluestarlizzard

Some people just don't get the 'never bring a knife to a gunfight' thing.

I don't really understand why. It's a pretty simple concept.
Old June 3, 2013, 04:40 PM   #169
Erno86

One gun shop employee's verbal reaction, too what alot of ignorant "goofy" gun shop patron's do:

"If I had a dollar for every time I had a muzzle of gun pointed in my direction...I'd be a rich man."

--- George Orwell
Old June 3, 2013, 04:48 PM   #170
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The old guy wanted to see a "real" employee
Even more annoying is when they approach a female employee and ask to speak to a male employee. I have that every now and then. The customer will approach the female employee with a question she's perfectly qualified to answer, but they just won't hear it from her.

My rebuttal is usually, "well, you might want to talk to her about X. I don't know much about X."
Old June 3, 2013, 04:49 PM   #171
Bluestarlizzard

Quote:
One gun shop employee's verbal reaction, too what alot of ignorant "goofy" gun shop patron's do:

"If I had a dollar for every time I had a muzzle of gun pointed in my direction...I'd be a rich man
Sometimes, if a store is really crowded, I don't even want to fondle guns. The prospect of muzzle sweeping someone by acciedent is to much a PITA. I don't like doing it, I don't like it when it happens to me and then there are those who get extra crazy when it does happen to them.
What's slightly amusing is folks who will just walk right in front of you when you've shouldered a long gun in what *was* a safe direction. You just kinda wonder as to the amount of oblivous that takes...
Old June 3, 2013, 04:55 PM   #172
Bluestarlizzard

Tom,

There is actually one store and it's the last time I ever went in there where I would have done that.

She was dressed like a mall ninja's wet dream.

The GS I usually go in, all the employees dress in jeans that fit, and polo's that are tucked in, including the ladies. That I find professional and have no issue dealing with either gender.
Old June 3, 2013, 05:12 PM   #173
carguychris

Quote:
I went through firearms qual with a guy who put .380 in a glock 19. It even stumped the instructors...
In the guy's defense, there are many shooters out there who don't realize there is more than one type of 9mm ammo. Some of these folks are inevitably thrown for a loop when they see European ammo packaging that reads "9mm Corto" or "9mm Short", even if the package also says "380 Auto" or ".380 ACP" somewhere on it.

I once had a conversation with a person who had a good deal of experience with deer hunting but not with handguns. He had shot a friend's "9mm" Walther PPK and was thinking about buying a Glock 19. To this day, I don't think he fully comprehended my explanation that the PPK did NOT fire the same cartridge as the Glock.

"It's a 380, but the 380 cartridge is also known as 9mm Short, which is why your friend's PPK said 9mm on it."

"But it said 9mm."

"PPK's are normally marked 9mm Kurz, which means 9mm Short in German. It's not the same."

"Curt who? It was a Walther and it said 9mm."
Old June 3, 2013, 05:29 PM   #174
Erno86

Bluestarlizzard - I know how you feel...and I feel the same way. Since I'm a gun shop patron...I especially don't like gun shop patrons, who are at the display case, pointing a muzzle of a gun at anybody, including vehicular traffic outside a plate glass window. I like to handle guns at gun shops/gun shows, in a more elevated direction, with the muzzle pointed upwards.

I was browsing around in a gun shop a couple of years ago...when two guys walk-in, an uncase a muzzleloading inline rifle --- while asking for percussion caps to buy; that would fit it's nipple. While the employee went looking for the proper size cap...I ask the gun toting patron whether the gun was loaded with a charge? He said "it was loaded with powder an ball, but {without previously telling anybody in the gun shop that it was loaded with powder an ball} thought it was "safe enough" to bring the rifle into the gunshop. I did a double-take --- then gave them a verbal warning --- and I left the gunshop in a hurry.

--- George Orwell
Old June 3, 2013, 05:34 PM   #175
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestarlizzard View Post
Some people just don't get the 'never bring a knife to a gunfight' thing.

I don't really understand why. It's a pretty simple concept.
Ya can't fix stupid.

Ike