The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 2, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Haz251

Cleaning kit?

I'm contemplating picking up an Otis cleaning kit. Has anyone here used one and are they worth the $50?
Old May 2, 2013, 03:25 PM   #2
BarryLee

I bought an Otis kit a few years back and have been pretty happy with it. The kit has some items I’ll most likely never use and sometimes I wonder if I might have been better off simply going to Brownells and buying just the items I needed.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; May 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Haz251

Yea Otis is the kit I'm thinking about. I think it's about 55 from amazon. I like it for its size and "packability"
Old May 3, 2013, 05:24 PM   #4
LED

If you plan to carry it around and use regularly, and you definitely like their pull-through system---then yes.
I do my cleaning at home, except some perfunctory wiping in the field, so a portable kit wasn't worth the expense. I use their excellent stiff nylon bore brushes.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Haz251

Yup I go shoot at my buddies house a lot so it would definetly be an advantage.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:54 AM   #6
nhbmaing

I love my Otis kit. It's the only kit I've used on my AR, and it makes cleaning shorter pistol barrels a breeze. Best when used with the special Otis cleaning patches, but you can get quite a few passes with each patch, and they sell replacements at a lot of sporting goods stores. Seems to really get the crud out of my barrel.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Captains1911

I love it. Also you can learn where to poke holes in regular square patches to avoid having to buy the Otis circular ones.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:33 PM   #8
JKilbreth

Cleaning kit?

Bought one in Iraq a few years back to clean my M4. Haven't regretted it. Love the picks and scrapers for the really stubborn carbon buildup. The kits are pretty durable and convenient, especially when you need to pack a lot in a little space.
Old May 12, 2013, 04:33 AM   #9
torbjork

I have an Otis kit for my Vepr. It's a better cleaning aid than a boresnake, portable, and easier to use on a semi-auto than a cleaning rod. Plus you get a number of doodads included, that's always a good thing.
Old May 12, 2013, 08:07 PM   #10
LED

The only reason I don't use them is, I prefer pushing to pulling. But no question an Otis cable beats a three-piece rod in a portable kit.

A good company it seems. They claim to have been supplying the military, and it is true per Killbreth. I once ordered a small cleaning tool like a loop or something. They subtracted shipping from the charge even though I had paid it already. So here, returning the favor by giving good rap.